Is the BEAST overrated?

The-Snapper

please explain y i u think it is overrated!

I think it is bc its boring there is alot of breaks on it and the trains are really heavy! I also think the ride could be better it they would rebank parts of the track and add some bunny hills bc it needs something to it! The Beast needs to be out of control feeling! HELL EXPRESS is more Beast like than Beast is!

Thats my 10 cents!

Snapper, you think the trains are too heavy but pretty much every other wooden coaster uses those PTC trains. And youre right, beast can get pretty boring. I bet it was better before the trim brakes, headrests, and individual lap bars. I rode it today in the 2nd seat from the back and got a lot of airtime untill I was stapled, allowing me to get no more airtime or sensation after the first two hills.

I was never on it before they added the heavy trims, but I still think that its a great ride night or day and still has plenty of speed on the first part. The second hill and helix is the best ending for any rollercoaster that I have been on. It is forceful and smooth.

I really don't think that it's overrated becuase it really isn't ranked as one of the top coasters anymore. It was my first big coaster and remains one of my favorites. I still get butterflies in my stomach before the first ride of the season. By the end of the season it isn't as exciting but I think that's because I have been on it numerous times. We had a blast on it tonight in the dark!!

Snapper, you think the trains are too heavy but pretty much every other wooden coaster uses those PTC trains. And youre right, beast can get pretty boring. I bet it was better before the trim brakes, headrests, and individual lap bars. I rode it today in the 2nd seat from the back and got a lot of airtime untill I was stapled, allowing me to get no more airtime or sensation after the first two hills.

Umm there is no airtime at all on The Beast! Thats for sure and also Beast trains are 3 bench not 2 bench PTC trains! So that adds to the wieght!

Plus the 3 bench trains on Beast are much heavier than the 3 bench PTCs on other coasters - such as Tornado at Stricker's Grove.

Keep in mind Beast has always had trims - it just used to be skids instead of magnetic brakes. That meant that it didn't trim as much, and if it was rainy it would go faster. The magnetic brakes always slow the train to the same speed regardless of how heavy it is or what the weather is like.

The layout is ok - I think it could be amazing though. Turn the brake shed into like 3 bunny hops. Make the track between the end of the brake shed and the base of lift two have greater elevation changes (the high points higher, the low points lower) and increase the banking. Then bring the trees in closer to the track. Then in that long brake run at the end of the ride add one or two more little bunny hops. If they did that, Beast would be a freakin awesome ride.

When The Beast was built in 1979, it was the state of the art coaster. No other coaster had 3 tunnels, 2 major lift hills, the 360 degree helix, or had a footprint that was completly closed off to the public. These are the traits that made The Beast one of the best ever.

The Beast is a terrain coaster, so the effect of "airtime" is not present. To give another example: Just because it is a steel coaster, does not mean there are inversions- it is built for speed.

It is disappointing that the new, so called "enthusiasts", do not appreciate something that was made 26 years ago. It is almost like saying that it is a disappointment that the Ford Mustangs of 30 years ago are not as fast as the ones being produced today.

The Beast was an airtime machine when it had the buzz bars, and can still be if you know how to not staple yourself. Put your lap bar down so its atleast an inch off your leg and ride in the 2nd car from the back and over the first and 2nd hills you will get plenty of air. After that, your likely to be stapled, but if you survive that then hey..its a good ride. Snapper's right, the trims do ruin The Beast, theyre not even played down, when you ride in the front you feel them and theyre way too obvious.

you know The Beast also has 6 cars per train where racer and most other ptc trains only have 5

Raven - 6

Legend - 6

Voyage - 7

Hey buddy, did you also note that all three of those coasters only have two rows per car where The Beast has three.

Raven

Legend

Voyage

Even the voyage with 7 cars, only carries 28 riders per train, where The Beast carries 36 per train. I agree with snapper, those are really heavy PTC trains.

Tornado at Strickers Grove has 3 bench PTC trains... They are significantly lighter than Beasts trains - more like 3 bench versions of what you see on Raven or Legend at Holiday World.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Give this man a prize :-) You hit the nail on the head with this one, the reason that they are similiar is because pretty much ALL PTC's from the early 90's on switched over to the fiberglass train shells. Compared to the old school PTC's, such as the ones on Beast, which are wood frames. Its a total different experience. Beast is not the only ride to still use these, Phoenix at Knoebels comes immediately to mind as another set of them. The issue with Beast has nothing to do with heavy trains. The issue is it is braked to death. Simple as that. Even without the brakes, and yes I've ridden brakeless and with buzz bars, its still not an airtime machine. Maybe two nice pops. Like someone else said, thats never been what The Beast is about. It truly was an extraordinary ride when it opened, but sadly is a mere shadow of its former self.

The Beast is a terrain coaster, so the effect of "airtime" is not present.

What about Raven, Legend and Voyage? Those are all three Terrain Coasters - especially Raven that totally hugs the ground - and they have extreme airtime.

Whereas you could compare Legend and Raven as being a terrain coaster because they hug the ground, each was also designed for periods of airtime. And also each is much younger than The Beast (Legend in 2000 and Raven in 1995). I cannot comment on Voyage since it is still under construction.

If a ride was designed to have the feeling of weightlessness, then it will. The Beast does not have these features, so for some of the newer "enthusiasts" it seems boring.

Take FoF for example. It does not have any airtime, because it was designed to be a different type of ride.

Tornado at Strickers Grove has 3 bench PTC trains...  They are significantly lighter than Beasts trains - more like 3 bench versions of what you see on Raven or Legend at Holiday World.

yes but no other PTC trains have three bench trains AND six cars per train.

If they took the newer 3 bench PTC trains, like you find on Tornado - and put six of them on Beast it would be a lighter train because the cars are lighter. It doesn't matter if it is a 2 car train or an 18 car train - the weight of a single car is that I am talking about, and the newer PTC 3 bench cars are lighter...