**UPDATE** Let the Winterfest Preparations Begin!

**UPDATE** New photos have been uploaded showing even more work done on International Street, the Royal Fountain and The Winter-Festhaus. Check them out by clicking right here! Enjoy!

The regular season nears its end, but PKI will not sleep long. The magic of the holiday season is upon us. For such a spectacular event, preparations must begin long before the horrors of Fearfest are returned to their graves.

Work on the fountain continues to progress as most of the fountain base has been covered with wood and the construction of small buildings has begun on the fountain base as well. Presumably these will be utilized as the sheds where people can either rent or don skates.

Holiday Illuminations has begun to come alive on Rivertown's Swan Lake. Already visible is a large floating barge with several Christmas trees mounted on it. Saturday they had a few strings of light lit up, but nothing in comparison to the amazing show that is to come.

The Winter Festhaus is starting to take shape. Decorations have been hung from the ceiling which give the building a classic red and green coloring. Wreathes are hung around the building, and now there is a circular stage constructed in the middle.

Footers have also been placed at the base of the tower to anchor the lights that it will soon have.

The countdown begins until the holidays are upon us, but until then enjoy the last week of the season!

Click here to see the photos!

Regards,

Ryan

PKICentral.com -- Where every day is a walk in the park.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The park is really looking nice with all the preparations for Winterfest. Also, the Animation Station has all of its windows covered up as they prepare the inside for Santa`s house. It definantly looks like they are going to bring back WinterFest with lots of cool effects. It is looking great!

Even with the 06 discount it is still expensive for a young family............It needs to be like 14$ for an adult and kids 10 and under 7$.

I agree. It is too expensive for us to drive down from Columbus and then to pay for all four of us. I guess we will have to just go to the Columbus Zoo lights. It is free since we are members. I wish Winterfest was that way too. Hopefully someone will post pictures so we know what we missed. sad.gif

As I understand it, skating on the fountain will be free with admission to WinterFest. If you do not have skates, then you can rent them from the skate rental building (the buildings that you can see in the pictures on the fountains) for a nominal fee). If you have your own skates, you can use those.

Ice Skating on International Street Fountain – Nostalgic holiday tunes echo through the crisp air as ice skaters of all ages glide across the area’s largest ice rink, adorned with gorgeous metallic fountains. Special guest star skaters – including classic Nickelodeon pals – will join guests on the ice for a spin around the fountain. Please note that there is an extra charge for ice skating.

Please note that nothing is free.

Skating will be an additional charge... probably in the neighborhood of $7. Skate rental will likely be an additional $3.

The skating on the fountain is being produced by an outside vendor... so they are upcharging to cover their costs.

Shaggy

Upcharging for such things is a common occurance at most places that offer Winter events. Every Zoo I can think of (that holds winter events and feature ice skating) charge extra for it.

Winterfest always featured skating on the fountains... and always charged extra for it.

Shaggy

And I completely I understand that...I just don't like it! :-)

What I don't remember is if Season Pass holders used to be charged admission for WinterFest...

I think that's crowd control more than anything. They've been edgy about events selling out ever since the announcement, and if passholders were free, they'd have no idea how many people were going to show up. Plus they're making quite a bit of money on the side this way, of course.

Yes, I got a letter from "Craig Ross" which a couple weeks ago. It was more a marketing ploy to hurry up and buy your pass for next season before the price goes up, and your chance to buy cheap Winterfest tickets is gone. In the letter he explained that the cost to pass holders was to keep the park from being flooded with people. They will only admit a certain number of guests into the park each night for Winterfest. I was lucky enough to be able to snatch up some Winterfest tickets at $12.50 a piece, on P&G day back in mid-September, which is the best deal I`ve heard of for Winterfest tickets. Any word on if your parking pass on your season pass will still be valid for Winterfest parking?

I'm willing to say that no, your parking pass will not be good. They told us the price at the press release, but I can't remember what it was... I think it was $4, but I'm not sure.

SERIOUSLY guys... I think you're missing the point of Winterfest. It's not so much about the skating or rides, but rather it's about the amazing show they're going to have going on.

I bet you any amount of money that the event will be fantastic but you guys will still tear it to shreds for the littlest things.