Fearfest sucked this year

mplebanon

I took my 10 year old daughter and an 11 year old friend and his dad.

My daughter and I went last year and she got scared and had a great time. Psycho Path scared her the most last year including the house by the scrambler.

We talked it up so much to our friends that came along.........and in the end, it was horrible and not scary at all.

Here's the problem:

Psycho Path - last year, you went in.....in groups of 8 or 10......and they actually tried to scare your group. This year, they just had one long line of people that they kept sending in with no groups or breaks in the line. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I can honestly say we walked through the entire thing and no one tried to scare us once or you could see them up ahead scaring other people. We were terribly disappointed. Also, this crap where people come up to you and talk like weirdo's IS NOT SCARY. For goodness sake, jump out at somebody! Boring.

The house by the scrambler was scary last year because it was nearly in total darkness. Well this year.........it totally sucked. Again, nobody tried to jump out at us and scare us. More of the talking weirdo crap that ISN'T SCARY. My 10 year old was scared to death last year and was laughing this year.

Last year, they opened several of the haunted houses at 3 pm. This year they didn't. The lines were ridiculously long and then lead to total disappointment when the attractions WERE NOT SCARY.

I don't think I'll go back next year. We waited in line for the house by the scrambler exactly one hour. NOT WORTH IT.

On the other hand, the 3D clown house in Festhaus was atleast creative and interesting.......especially the dotted room where the person blended in with the wall and came at you. That was cool.

Very disappointed in Fearfest this year.

I won't be going to Winterfest if the price is $24. That's ridiculous.

#1- Maybe you were just at the wrong spot to be in line.

#2- GO THROUGH MAZE OF MADNESS!!!

#3- People making noises and talking like weirdos is awsome!!!

#4- Did you see the guy who had rollerblades on his knees and would skid up in front of people? THAT was awsome.

#5- Sometimes you don't have to get scared to have a good time, Just watching a group of girls jump in terror is worth the trip.

Also, don't judge winterfest before it opens. Winterfest may have it's up's and down's, but then again it is the first year PKI is doing it. When it comes to lines, there is nothing much you can do. Fearfest is crowded.

Sorry that you had a bad time, But don't let one trip make up your mind to not go again. Give it a chance next year.

Pki is a family park. For what you get for the price of admission it is a great value. You have the option of 6 haunted attractions and all the rides and attractions in the park. Now if you’re a season pass holder it’s Free! If not you could get in after 6PM for like $20. Now let’s compare this with some more traditional haunted houses that charge between $10-$20 per person for about 15-30 minutes of fun. Let’s also consider the lines at these haunts average 2 hours on peak nights. I would agree that Fearfest is not as scary as it could be. If that’s what you’re looking for you should seek out a seasonal haunted house. But in my book PKI has the best deal around.

The only thing I can agree with is that Psycho Path did suck this year, but for the rest of FearFest it was great. Nicely done and I hope they bring back sleepy hollow again.

I was not thrilled with Sleepy Hollow, I liked the train idea. The fog at the start of the trail was awsome, but the end of the attraction could have been thought out more.

Good! cause we dont want crabby whining complainers being there. Please dont go cause you'll just ruin it for the rest of us. Its only going to be the best christmas event in cincinnati since the last time they had winterfest. So please, stay home and whine.

Hey PkiNick,

Since you found the need to insult me, let me remind you that I am entitled to my opinion. If you continue to be insulting, maybe they'll ban you for a few days to do some behavior modification on you. You obviously need it.

I am most likely older than most, if not all of you. I'm 40 years old. I have been a season pass holder for most of the past 28 years. I love PKI, but I am going to criticize, when necessary, what I deem as poor entertainment. I will not be a homer like most of you seem to be. Also, on a side note.........I have been where most of you haven't been........behind the scenes, since as a contractor I have worked all around the park over the years. Yet, I'm sure there are many on here that have seen more than I.

I use to post on the old forum before this one came along. So, I'm not necessarily new, but haven't posted on this forum until now.

The reason I criticized Fearfest this year was because it was awesome last year, in the eyes of me and my daughter.

I thought they had some terrific ideas this year that they didn't finish on. I DID THINK that Cornstalkers was a great idea and that the FOG was awesome and a wonderful scary effect. In fact, we spent alot of our time at Cornstalkers watching the scarecrow move around, mostly near Massacre Manor, and scare the crap out of oblivious people walking by. That was alot of fun. We also enjoyed the 3D Clown house in Festhaus. Also, the chainsaw guy near Slingshot was good too.

I guess I should modify my comments to say that our 2 favorite attractions from last year, Psycho Path and the one by the scrambler (name escapes me), sucked compared to last year...........and THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO. Psycho Path has an incredible setup and environment in the woods to be scary as hell and then they abandoned the group idea and sent everyone in one after another. DUMB. Whoever made that decision ruined the entire attraction. I think Psycho Path has the most potential of all of them. The one by the scrambler scared the hell out of us last year in the dark. In fact, WE GOT LOST IN THE DARK AND I WAS LEADING. We ran into a deadend last year and we were in complete darkness, couldn't see a thing. Suddenly, a voice in the dark says, "you went the wrong way, you need to turn around and go left"......it was hilarious and creepy at the same time. It fell short this year.

We did not go in Maze of Madness this year because last year, we thought it was the worst attraction of all of them, and didn't waste our time this year going through it. Maybe we missed out and made a mistake not going through it......who knows?

Massacre Manor had a line past the Eiffel Tower and we weren't going to wait that long. More reason for them to open the lines at 3 pm. It's not like those attractions are in total darkness.......so what does it matter? Maze of Madness, the one by the scrambler and Massacre Manor could all open sooner.

I also think they should have Fearfest open on Friday nights too. Why not?

They should put me in charge. It would be so much better. It's a shame because it is setup to be awesome, but they fall short. A little tweaking and it could be awesome.

As for Winterfest, $24 to get in for ice skating? Give me a break. I use to love Winterfest growing up, and I was looking forward to it coming back until I heard the price. Is there going to be more than just Ice Skating? I surely hope so?

Psycho Path was good last year, but sucked this year.

Maze of Madness was bad last year so you didnt go on it this year.

FearFest was great last year, but sucked this year.

Therefore by you logic you will not be at FearFest next year. Sweet one less person in line rolleyes.gif

Dont judge an entire even when you only go through 3 haunted houses because you are lacking proper information to make an informed opinion.

Thats like judging IJST before they had any special effects working. Makes no sense. You can have your opion and I can have mine. You dont have to like mine nor must I like yours.

Why is it when someone makes a post that others disagree with, everyone criticizes them??? People can have there opinion, what wrong with that? In my first post in this topic, I gave examples of what was good about Fearfest and asked if he had done those, I did not insult him for his opinions.

I am sorry mplebanon that Fearfest did not go the way you expected. I am also sorry that some people can't be mature and be more respectful of your views. Try giving Winterfest a chance.

-CN

I do agree that Fearfest kind of dropped off the last weekend, but it's a shame that you didn't get to see it the first couple of weeks. I agree the most of the houses were lame... but you're 40 years old... if a house scares you, that's just funny. You have to give credit to the setup and stuff of the houses. They were creative this year, but none of them would really classified as "scary" per se.

I think we can both agree that the environment is fantastic. The creepy music, crazy fog, props everywhere... that's what really makes these events for me. At that, I think with the additions they've made, this is the best Fearfest.

I am most likely older than most, if not all of you. I'm 40 years old. I have been a season pass holder for most of the past 28 years.

...older they are, they crabbier they are. biggrin.gif

After reading the first, oh....five or ten sentences of your original post, I guessed you were a season passholder. I've noticed about 75% of the season passholders expect perfection, and the park to revolve around them.

I'm a passholder...an eighteen year-old passholder at that, and do not act like a spoiled thirteen year-old as others do.

(I stood in line to process my pass this past April, and half of the people in line freaked out at the fact that they had to fill out a paper to renew their pass...I was amazed, adults were acting more immature than sixth graders)

The park has to make an attraction fit thousands upon thousands of people. They ARE NOT...***I repeat***...ARE NOT going to make everyone happy.

Be happy you have such a great park nearby. I've got to drive two hours to get to the park nearest me (PKI).

There's sooo much more I could go on about, but I will spare you. Just please, do us all a favor and give it up! The park made thousands of people happy (and terrified) these past few weekends...you are ONE guest. The world doesn't revolve around you.

edit: One more thing, since I just read your second post.

Featfest WAS open on Fridays this year, if you had cared to check. If you would've went on a Friday, you also would have found the park to be a lot more empty, giving you more time to go through more of these "awful" haunts, so that we could have the pleasure of reading your complaints about them here on PKIC.

Regarding Winterfest, maybe you should visit pki.com/winterfest or even check the other multiple Winterfest threads on this site. All of these resources list the attractions that will be open...You say you visited, and liked, Winterfest in previous years. This year's Winterfest will be run in a similar fashion, with a few other extras. Read up on the event before you bash it. You may also recall Fearfest was an extra charge (even for passholders) back when it first started.

The moral of the story of the past two issues I brought up: RESEARCH before you whine.

And finally:

They should put me in charge. It would be so much better.

Hahahahahaha. That officially made my day. Good laugh. Thanks for that.

This was my first trip to Fearfest, and I was really impressed (I'm 32, by the way). PKI is awesome on its own, but to me the Fearfest stuff was just icing on the cake. I loved the atmosphere. The fog, people jumping out everywhere, the decorations, and the purple lights on the tower were just awesome. I even liked the cold. It just had a cool atmosphere...and I have to comment on PKI adding the Starbucks. That right there just really improved the park tons, to me. I think other people thought the same thing, as I waited in line for 45 minutes for coffee at about 9:00 at night! Even that was fun, though...

When you run a massive amusement park as energy costs rise and rise and rise and want to hold more events that cost more money then you can complain about ticket prices, PKI needs to make money if they want to have events like Winterfest at the park.

Recalimer, I like what you said a few posts up! Fantastic point!

mplebanon,

I think your post was very well written. I'm not saying I agree with everything that you said...but I think it was a good trip report. I went the second weekend this month, Friday was great, no big crowds and we got a lot done. Saturday was a nightmare...really crowded. If I had only went on Saturday I can see where I might have given this year's Fearfest a worse rating. I don't mind waiting in line...but NOT 2 hours for a 5-10 minute haunt. And before anyone says "stop your whining"...think about it, if you had to wait 2 hours for each haunt, that means you could only do possibly 4 haunts a night...it is not "fun" to say that you spent 8 hours in line, and (possibly) 30 minutes actually doing the haunts. (Like I said, we did great on Friday...so that made up for the next night.) Anyway, my point is, after you've been "wore-down" by standing in line, I can see where you might be more critical of the haunts once you got in.

Sorry that you had a bad time.

I don't mind waiting in line...but NOT 2 hours for a 5-10 minute haunt. And before anyone says "stop your whining"...think about it, if you had to wait 2 hours for each haunt, that means you could only do possibly 4 haunts a night..

Just curious...which haunts had a 2 hour wait? I'm not saying anyone is lieing....honestly, just curious....

I don't mind waiting in line...but NOT 2 hours for a 5-10 minute haunt. And before anyone says "stop your whining"...think about it, if you had to wait 2 hours for each haunt, that means you could only do possibly 4 haunts a night..

Just curious...which haunts had a 2 hour wait? I'm not saying anyone is lieing....honestly, just curious....

Here is my trip report from Oct 14th, 15th & 16th.

http://www.pkicentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6355

I can't say as I actually stood in any of the un-Godly long lines on that Saturday... just walked by them in awe. I am guess-timating the time it took to stand in them. I do know that my friends ATTEMPTED the Maze Of Madness line that night. They started a little underneath The Racer...and they didn't even come close to getting in after a half hour...so I figure if you were standing in line by the Zephyr it almost surely was over 2 hours. As for Sleepy Hollow that night you can tell by my description it was an amazing line. Since my trip report, someone posted that they heard that there were 36,000 people there on that Saturday....I don't know...but I do know it was awful! I am also not saying I know what it was like any other weekend...just the one I was at.

Ok so yes... everyone had a long line on sat. i think we have come to that understanding. yes the wait for most of them was long. i think we all know that now, ok as for the scares maybe at the point when you went though some of the performers were on break. i am sorry that you did not get scared, but not everyone does.

as for winterfest i would not judge it just yet. i know it seems expensive but i think it would be worth it. i know i will be there to see it at least once. there will be lots of entertainment and ice skating and many things to see and experience. i say give it a chance but if you dont want to waste your money and think it will be a waste just dont go. Just read other people's trip reports on here and see what you are missing out on.

as for winterfest i would not judge it just yet. i know it seems expensive but i think it would be worth it. i know i will be there to see it at least once. there will be lots of entertainment and ice skating and many things to see and experience. i say give it a chance but if you dont want to waste your money and think it will be a waste just dont go. Just read other people's trip reports on here and see what you are missing out on.

**applause**