SKYHAWK

HAVE ANY OF YOU EVER BEEN ON A SCREAMIN SWING (sky hawk)? Prob not so please dont tell me its the same thing bc it ISNT! maxAir starts off slow then gains momenum but Screamin Swings start going fast as soon as its all clear! Its controlled by Pressed air simular to Power tower so your Thrusted back and forth! SO PEOPLE ITS QUITE DIFFERENT!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah its all the same, thats like saying ocean motion at CP is like a non spining version of Maxair, because they both go in a back and forth arc movement. I agree with Snapper they are nothing alike, especially in the fact that they work on Compressed air. Hence you are being lauched for the first swing up and also for the downthrust. Well now CP will have three rides the same, Ocean Motion, Maxair, and Skyhawk. Nice logic.

Also Screamin Swings cannot go upside down because of the way the tower is constructed. Look at the various pictures of the top piece of the tower and you can see it is an impossibility.

I for one wish PKI would get a Screamin Swing, because our current version isnt that reliable. biggrin.gif

HAVE ANY OF YOU EVER BEEN ON A SCREAMIN SWING (sky hawk)? Prob not so please dont tell me its the same thing bc it ISNT! maxAir starts off slow then gains momenum but Screamin Swings start going fast as soon as its all clear! Its controlled by Pressed air simular to Power tower so  your Thrusted back and forth! SO PEOPLE ITS QUITE DIFFERENT!

I see what your saying wink.gif I've never been on one so I wouldn't have known. BTW, this is all CP will be getting next year (along with general park improvments), but as said before, their saving up for the BIG 2007 attraction that will be placed there White Water Landing currently is!

I think the line will move good because the ride will have a good capcity for a flat ride, not to mention the fact that they can load two different swings. Should move good and CP is great at making their lines move.

Yes except for the whole spinning aspect, the instantaneous launch, and the near misses with the other swing, SkyHawk and MaxAir will give the same ride sensation. Like I said once Ill take a ScreeminSwing at PKI anytime.

CP is not short on real estate although everyone thinks they are. Look at how they made Millie, TTD, and Wicked Twister fit. Nobody thought that could be done. Although for CP to expand like they are planning the parking lot will eventually be turned in to park, but not Six Flags style.

Isnt that thing just a double armed, non spinning, lowe capacity maXair/Delerium?

But, we don't know what sensations Skyhawk will deliver. It could turn out to be quite different. I'll reserve judgement until I get to take a spin on it.

I heard rumors of something 600 ft and a Gyro Drop. If you add the rumors you get a 600ft Gyro Drop.

GL will get a copy of it and when your at the top you will see the one at Cedar Point.

Ummmm, no. Why would they install a gyro drop when they already have the Power Tower? However, GL would make more sense since they don't have a ride like that. And, considering that CP is already trying to sell Demon Drop, I just don't see a gyro drop in their future because it delivers the same basic sensation as PT.

do you know how far down in the ground a Gyro Drop of 600 foot would have to go? at least 100 ft. depending on the rock bed there... Trust me, its not as easy as thought, it is a giant needle, plus, beyond that height, with a change that quick, you will have a massive headache...also, think of this...

y = y0 + vy0*t + 0.5*a*t2

vy = vy0 + a*t

5=182-4.91t2

177=4.91t2

36.04=t2

6.01=t

vy=9.81(6.01)

vy=58.89

=193fps

or... 132 Miles Per Hour... WHAT A RUSH, but WOW the stresses on that Amount of super tall Steel.

132 Miles per Hour!!! in 6 Seconds!!!

Must say, as not possible as it is, I would ride it for a rush, that is, if it were a true possibility for a ride...

If nobody already Knew... I can do some simple physics...

do you know how far down in the ground a Gyro Drop of 600 foot would have to go? at least 100 ft. depending on the rock bed there... Trust me, its not as easy as thought, it is a giant needle, plus, beyond that height, with a change that quick, you will have a massive headache...also, think of this...

vy = vy0 + a*t

5=182-4.91t2

177=4.91t2

36.04=t2

6.01=t

vy=9.81(6.01)

vy=58.89

=193fps

or... 132 Miles Per Hour... WHAT A RUSH, but WOW the stresses on that Amount of super tall Steel.

Must say, as not possible as it is, I would ride it for a rush, that is, if it were a true possibility for a ride...

It's only 144ft more than Kingda Ka. Terminal velocity would be less than your 132mph. The terminal velocity of this skydiver is about 124 mph so it will be less than that because of more air resistance.

A Skydivers head should explode if 600ft gives a massive headache.

I know little about physics....

vy = vy0 + a*t

5=182-4.91t2

177=4.91t2

36.04=t2

6.01=t

vy=9.81(6.01)

vy=58.89

=193fps

It's only 144ft more than Kingda Ka. Terminal velocity would be less than your 132mph. The terminal velocity of this skydiver is about 124 mph so it will be less than that because of more air resistance.

A Skydivers head should explode if 600ft gives a massive headache.

I know little about physics....

Umm... could you clarify? what means your terminal velocity?

all I use is V-final and V-initial,

also, you must consider, that I have all of this stuff set logically, for a 580 foot drop, so that means the needle would seriously be 700 foot long, not 600 with a 100 foot sink, but a 100 foot sink on a 700 making a 600 ish drop. GEEZ

Plus, go over my math, its all there, I show my work, Picard?

EDIT: There is also something you need to calculate in, the X-values, and Z-Values, I only used Y-Values, for simple reaosn, ONE PLANE in one direction!!

i had 2 unknowns, Time, and Velocity. 6 seconds, and roughly 132 mph

Downhill??? Yet attendance has been increasing and they are continually adding new attractions, areas, and events. I honestly think PKI is growing and prospering when other parks are having some down time right now. Example Cedar Point.

Just wanting some clarification on your opinion. Very large statement to make without providing any reasson as to why.

We all want more and will always want more, but I would not say they are going downhill. This isnt Cedar Point where they only build coasters and are just now focusing on flat rides and have to add anything for the families. I love CP but they have neglected their family and childs areas in the park.

I agree, CP is known for it's Thrill rides and are limited on space so they just neglect the family stuff and focus on using space for rides that will attract people from all over the counrty. That is their target market. PKI on the other hands Target market is everyone or all ages. Right now they are putting the finnishing touches on their already amazing ked area in the country. After that is when they need to fucus on the thrill rides to make the park absolutly amazing. I'm not saying CP style but at lest 2 rides like a Millenium and a TD and some more flatts.

I meant the thrills. I gotta admit they are doing pretty good with family rides but they need more thrill rides. The thrill rides they got now are great but I want more!

YOu want more eh? Well, you thrill seekers arent bringing in money for the park and people like you dont see what PKI is doing that benefits you, probably because your too lazy to read the other topics and too stupid to think about the sitaution. PKI is a family park, building for families, marketing towards families. Why? Because FAMILIES bring in the money, they do it so well that Paramount parks has done very well the past few years. But what happens with that money, well if you think logically Family means something for everyone......so after Paramount parks builds up a lot of money marketing towards families they can install something big and of high quality.....why....because they got money from marketing towards their best target group. Take CP for example......thrill ride after thrill ride after thrill ride. Attendance and profit dropped. Now they are gonna have to re-focus and learn what we already know. The FAMILIES give you the money to build the thrills!

Why is it that no body realizes that ACERS and Entheusiasts do not pay for the rides at the parks. Like Combat said, it is the families. Thrill seakers dont come and spend money on lots of food, games, admission, and merchandise. They have a season pass, get maybe a slice of pizza, already own a shirt, and dont play games. They are not giving the park any money, so why would the park make rides for them. The family where mom brings her 3 kids and each of them brings 2 friends are the ones bringing in the cash, think of all the food and games and admission they pay. That is who Kings Island wants in the gates, not ACErs, so we're gonna build a Nick Universe so that families will bring even more people, not a Skyhawk so that 10 more thrill seakers will come next year and buy season passes to get in free all year. Oh and Beast1979, you cant have ridden many roller coasters if Mean Streak is in your top 10.

The increase in attendance at PKI and the decrease in attendance at CP has nothing to do with thrill rides, family rides, or which park is better. It has to do with location.

Cincy to PKI- 21.52 miles

Columbus to PKI- 85.40 miles

Dayton to PKI- 35.10 miles

whereas...

Cleveland to CP- 64.96 miles

Columbus to CP- 129.86 miles

Detroit to CP- 115.65 miles

Toledo to CP- 61.52 miles

Given the state of the economy over the last 3 years, especially in Detroit, Cleveland, and Toledo, where the jobs are mainly manufactoring, and in Cincy and Columbus where the jobs are more geared toward the corporate level- there have been less layoffs in Southern Ohio. Add in the gas prices- since it is quite obvious that the main population sources are closer to PKI than CP. There is more money around PKI.

And trips that are above about 115 to 130 miles are about a two hour trip require some guests- mainly families- to stay in a hotel is not to be overlooked. Tis is the main reason that CP has four different resorts to stay in, and PKI has currently zero.

Up until recently (the additions of the Great Bear Lodge and Castaway Bay) the city of Sandusky is almost a ghost town. Many of the hotels and restaraunts would close for the winter because there is no draw to spend winter days in Sandusky. So basically, CP is the driving force behind the economy there. PKI is fortunate to be close to a major US city where the population does not have to drive a great distance.

Sandusky has always been a ghost town in the winter and still is with the additions of GBL and CAB. Thats the climate CP has always operated in and they have done well. CP is not the only driving force in the Sandusky region, you also have the islands in the Lake that attract a very large number of tourists every year. Honestly less people went to the Sandusky bay region this year because the Walleye season was almost non existent. Lake warmed up to fast in the western basin and really effected the entire tourist industry on that side of the lake.

Anyways, CP for the last couple of years has been continually raising prices and becoming very similar to Disney in Price. The distance is not that much greater for large surrounding cities when you compare PKI and CP. Anyways people still bought the same amount of gas these last few years if not more. We just complained more about it.

CP lost buisness because they raised prices only focused on additons for thrill seekers and forgot the segment that spends the most money at the park. Families...