The Son of Beast

flightoffear1996

Did the park waste their time and money on Son of Beast. No they really did not and the park is doing a great job trying to make this ride as good of a ride as possible. Just across the park is another world renoun woodie which is The Beast and it is on the rough side. Anyway the Son of Beast may not have the best layout in the world the pure size of this coaster is amazing and still bringing people from around the world to PKI. Their is just a few little kinks in the track that need to be fixed and it will be a great ride.

It is taking too much $$ to keep the ride operating at the poor level it is at. A majority of the ride has been re-tracked and it has not made that big of a difference, it is still too rough. Wood coasters will always be rough, but they are still fun, SoB is only fun when it is going through the loop- the smoothest part of the ride.

There have been many comparisons of SoB to The Beast, and while The Beast is not for the tame of heart, it is no where near as rough as SoB, and The Beast is 20 years older. Also, The Beast is annually near the top of the list for best coasters, SoB will never be even close to that type of reputation.

PKI has done there best to make SoB a more enjoyable experience (re-tracking, train modifications), but there has to be a point where SoB is too painful for a majority of the guests and costs too much $$ to try making it a better ride. PKI is considered a family park, there are many rides that are not for all members at PKI, and SoB is the last in that list.

BGW had many of the same issues with Drachen Fire (steel coaster that was also too rough), and they ended up taking it out.

I would rather see PKI put their money into a new ride, just like what KI did with The Bat.

Do you have any idea on how much money the Son of Beast would take to destory?????? Plus I am sure the park will do its best to fix its problems. Truthfully it is a great ride but they need to SBNO for a season or two until they get the kinks out. When there is a ride that goes some where there will always been kinks. Just give the park some time. They will not remove this ride to due how made the GP will be

Yes it will take some big bucks to have taken out, yet, it is the better of two evils. PKI has already spent some big bucks trying to fix the problems, if they spend more, and still have no results, it will still have to be taken out, and they are still at square one.

The only option I can see is if, like you suggested, have it not operate for a year, and hopefully it will be a permanent fix. But there is that chance that all of the resources have dried up and there is nothing left that can be done.

There are people that love the ride, but, it is the majority that does not like it at all. Check out Coasterbuzz and use the search feature. A majority of the people all say that they rode it once, and they will never ride it again. SoB is a two train operation in one of the most popular areas of the park, and still The Beast has a longer wait. You would think given the uniqueness of SoB, and it only being 4 years old, that it would be one of, and perhaps the most popular ride in the park, but it is just not that way.

Also, it cost about $20 million, the most expensive ride in the park, but it is not the most popular? There is defiantly something wrong there.

well it still has a title you guys and you all know what that is. I loved SoB when i rode it my 2 times, sure it was a little rough but for the things it was doing for a wooden coaster blew me away. I don't see PKI destroying this, some people think it's the best woodie, some people want to see it be blown to pieces. PKI spent a lot on it and won't bring it down any time soon.

IMO, I don't think SOB needs any huge adjustments. Yes, it is rough, but so is The Beast. PKI will not tear down SOB and does not need to do so. I think the layout is just fine the way it is. Nothing needs to change about SOB except maybe better trains. But, I gets no pains.

yep i agree with all of the past statements said. I think PKI and CP made the year 2000 a very unforgettable year, one of the most because 2 parks in the same state shattered records left and right with MF and SoB. It was a hard descision for me to make to go to CP that year, but i came right back to PKI in 2003 and hit the other big phenomenon.

• 2 weeks later...

I rode SOB the first day it opened, the only part that was considerably rough was the turn after the lift drop going into the first helix. since then its gotten considerably rougher, not only in that turn but everywhere. before they had that padding on the lapbars i have had bruises before from SOB. What they need to do is find out what they had for day 1 and things will be just great.

• 4 weeks later...
It is taking too much $$ to keep the ride operating at the poor level it is at.  A majority of the ride has been re-tracked and it has not made that big of a difference, it is still too rough.  Wood coasters will always be rough, but they are still fun, SoB is only fun when it is going through the loop- the smoothest part of the ride.

There have been many comparisons of SoB to The Beast, and while The Beast is not for the tame of heart, it is no where near as rough as SoB, and The Beast is 20 years older.  Also, The Beast is annually near the top of the list for best coasters, SoB will never be even close to that type of reputation.

PKI has done there best to make SoB a more enjoyable experience (re-tracking, train modifications), but there has to be a point where SoB is too painful for a majority of the guests and costs too much $$ to try making it a better ride.  PKI is considered a family park, there are many rides that are not for all members at PKI, and SoB is the last in that list.

BGW had many of the same issues with Drachen Fire (steel coaster that was also too rough), and they ended up taking it out.

I would rather see PKI put their money into a new ride, just like what KI did with The Bat.

Whine, Complain, Whine.... Can IT!!!!!! SOB RULES, if you cant take it dont ride my coaster

personally i LOVE sob. i don't see why everyone hates it. yea it's rough but it's a woodie. i must say though that the retracking of it really helped. i used to have cramps on it everytime i rode by the second helix but now i can ride cramp free :P so no it wasn't a waste of money IMO. the ride's great! i think they just need different trains.

I also agree that the trains are the culprit here. The manufacturer (of the trains) claims that a long wheelbase was necessary because of the loop.

Those trains don't steer (track) well at all. It's sometimes funny to watch he trains buck and bounce along the course. I honestly think that the park will eventually shop around for better trains, but only after they've exhausted every other fix.

The lines still seem rather long to me, so the public still seems to like it. I really don't see the park taking this thing down any time soon. Despite its flaws, I still find the ride to be pretty good....although I'll only ride it a few times each season.

The lines still seem rather long to me, so the public still seems to like it. I really don't see the park taking this thing down any time soon. Despite its flaws, I still find the ride to be pretty good....although I'll only ride it a few times each season.

They'll take it down whenever the rehab would cost more than the coaster would draw. I don't see it being a "soon" situation, but it's definitely a matter of when.

I think that's true of any coaster, though. They have a life span. Smaller woodies (Kennywood) can have entire sections replaced pretty often, keeping them "new." With the size and scope of SOB, that may not be practical, but I'm sure they're not even close to throwing in the towel.

After all, the ride is only 5...