Six Flags Astroworld / New Orleans

Question. is it possible that Six Flags' decision to close the Houston location interlinked somehow to the fact that most of their New Orleans location will need to be replaced/removed permanently? Convenient that Houston's park is to close and they have all of those rides/coasters to move. But would be great that they are able to take remains of a defunct park (that probably had a limited life in it's current location) to a park that has useful life lef tin it's location but has no recourse to start up again.

Just a thought... sorry if it has already been discussed.

^Yeah, quite a bit before Katrina. It sucks, SFAW has great potential, unfortuanently their with a $h1TTY company. Hopefully Cedar Fair will purchase it, and save another great park that was sent to hell by horrible six flags management.

No, it was announced after Katrina. Someone else posted the release date, which was correct. Sadly, demolition is already underway at Astroworld. If I can find the link to the forum, I'll post it in this topic. Essentially all of the water park is already gone. Dungeon Drop, Swat and Diablo Falls are in the process of being removed as we speak. Dungeon Drop is reportedly on its way to St. Louis, while the other two attractions are on their way to Six Flags New England. Texas Cyclone is supposed to meet its doom with the wrecking ball :-( It was a hell of a ride too. It seems unlikely that another chain would purchase the Park at this point, but I guess one could hope!

As for New Orleans. Megazeph (CCI) has been reported to have substantial footer/structure problems. About 75% of the buildings are unusable and will have to be rebuilt. Not to mention damage to the rides that were submerged. The biggest problem in New Orleans was that the water just lingered around the Park for so long, it unfortunately wasn't being pumped out. I've read conflicting reports that in the lease between Six Flags and the city of New Orleans, it is stated that Six Flags MUST repair any damages to the Park.....however substantial they may be. IMHO, it would seem that they would just try to cut their losses and move on. That park never was a money maker for them?

Essentially all of the water park is already gone.

Are you sure about that? My dad worked at AW when he was younger and many of his old friends hold office jobs there working for SF and according to an email from one of them a few days ago, the water park is supposed to stay open.

Here is the link to that website. Its an employee forum. http://www.astroworldpark.com/forum/forum_....asp?TID=2&PN=1

It states about half way down that the water park is almost gone. From everything I have read and understand, a lot of the slides from Waterworld are going to be relocated to Six Flags Splashtown (also in Houston).