Winterfest Decorations

CoasterKrazy

Looking through the WinterFest photos, I am amazed at the incredible amount of decorations and themeing. Obviously, this is something PKI has been planning for some time now (it would be interesting to know just how long) and I would imagine they have sunk a large sum of money into this project. My question is, is anything used for WinterFest 2005 from previous WinterFest's 13 years ago?

While I am probably one of PKI's worst critics as far as themeing goes, I actually wouldn't mind if they had re-used themeing from previous WinterFests. Seems like it would add a nice little touch of history.

Nah, I don't think there is a bigger critic of Paramount than myself. Looking at those pics, though, they have done the Winterfest tradition proud. Heck, even if there are some stumbles (and I'm sure there will be this year) I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yes Combat - write that down! I passed on a complement about Paramount. <G>

All of the decorations from this year`s Winterfest are brand new. The old decorations were either donated to local communities and organizations or scrapped.

The park has had this in the works for a while. Did you notice they renovated the fountains on International Street in 2003? And did you notice that they installed an all new sound system on International Street? Not to mention adding more venues on International Street with indoor seating (Graeter`s and Starbucks).

Yes, the park has seemed to not skimp on the decorations for Winterfest. They are far outshining my memories of the original Winterfest! Hopefully the actual event will be aweseome! I`ll be up there one week from now to find out.

The park has had this in the works for a while. Did you notice they renovated the fountains on International Street in 2003? And did you notice that they installed an all new sound system on International Street? Not to mention adding more venues on International Street with indoor seating (Graeter`s and Starbucks).

I disagree. I think a lot of what you mentioned is coicidental.

The fountain hadn't been touched in over 30 years and needed a revamp, plus the way that the ice rink works, it wouldn't even have mattered if there were a fountain there or not.

The sound system... eh... maybe. My money would be on the parade though. I know I could hear the theme while walking into the park on the 4th of July, so I doubt they did it with WF in mind much.

As far as indoor dining goes... they could have pushed the concept of indoor dining for WF, but I doubt the choices they made would be directly influenced. We know that the deal with Starbucks wasn't finalized until after the IJ tour so I doubt that was really rushed for anything, and Graeters.. what can I say? Ice cream doesn't seem like the most tempting thing during a Winter event.

Just my thoughts.

Yes. But that is what Jeff was saying before the final ride of the season. I`m just relaying what Jeff was saying! Like you said, a lot of the revamps they did were necessary revamps. Things only last so long before they have to be replaced. And yes, ice cream at a winter event doesn`t mix. Hot coffee, though does. In any event, they brought back Winterfest, and it is evident that they had been doing planning work on it for a while, (whether it was a year or longer) based on the images from the park this week!

Yes. But that is what Jeff was saying before the final ride of the season. I`m just relaying what Jeff was saying! Like you said, a lot of the revamps they did were necessary revamps. Things only last so long before they have to be replaced. And yes, ice cream at a winter event doesn`t mix. Hot coffee, though does. In any event, they brought back Winterfest, and it is evident that they had been doing planning work on it for a while, (whether it was a year or longer) based on the images from the park this week!

I remember Jeff somewhat "teasing" about WF during the BB construction tour on the last day of the 03 season, so it has clearly been in the works for a long time. Rumor has it that they intended to start it last year but for some reason it didn't fly.

WooferBearATL, when was the fountain revamped before? I could have been wrong with the 30 year comment, but I remember people posting on the forums that it hadn't been touched since since the park's debut, but then again, you can't trust everything you read on here.

The fountain was basically reconstructed in 2003. The only things that weren't new were the pool's foundations and pedestals.

The fountain's pool base and foundations hadn't been touched in 30+ years before the fountain was reconstructed and the old foundations are still supported.

They wouldn't have renovated the fountain for Winterfest, because they used the same fountain area for Ice Skateing when the previous Winterfest was going on.

Also speaking on Intnational Street I wish they would renovate it to look like it did when the park opened. It actually looked like a street with city shops on it.

http://www.pkicentral.com/parkinfo/history...p?album=5&pos=6

http://www.pkicentral.com/parkinfo/history...p?album=5&pos=7

-Jake

Everyone is right about the fountain. It was also done in '82 so maybe it's an every 10 year thing.

As far as the old International Street, you really don't know how much nicer this is with the pavers as opposed to the black top. On top of that, there were only benches and not the concreted planters/seating.