Winterfest ... sinking faster than the Titanic

A_Titanic_Mess

I think every department has it's sucky parts, let's not turn this into another battle of who's right/wrong...

Long story short though, I think WinterFest could use some tweaking - which I completely expected. "Rome wasn't built in a day", right? I also think that it depends on the person/family's attitude when they go in...if you go in expecting the most magnificent thing ever you'll be disappointed...but if you go in expecting to enjoy some time with friends/family then you might just find yourself having a good time! Also, keep in mind, for those that went to the original (I was there too!) that our own personalities and likes/dislikes can change drastically over a 13 year period...things seemed bigger, more colorful, etc. **Stepping down**

Side Note: WooHoo! 300th Post! cool.gif

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there is limited areas for Winterfest, Will the arcade be open in Rivertown?

I love DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION.

Or just in Coney...

On the topic of that, a friend of mine had a set up in his house... and I did the best, although I hate the game, and probably suck... hard, at it...

The original poster has valid points. My girlfriend and I went on Saturday night and felt somewhat ripped off.

Good:

+The park looked very nice all decorated in Christmas lights.

+The show in Paramount Theater was very nice.

+The light show on the lake in Rivertwon wasn't half bad.

Bad:

-The train sucked ass. Too corny.

-Seven bucks to skate then 3 dollar to rent the skates? Give me a break! I'll go to Sports Plus.

-The Scrooge puppet doing his routine during the Tower lighting ceremony. I couldn't hear what the "master of ceremonies" was saying because of that darn puppet.

-For two people in their early 20's there wasn't much to do. You can only ride Scooby so many times and that's even intended for the kids!

-45 bucks(including parking&two admissions) for two shows and a ride on the train and Scooby.

Overall the event itself was fine but it was just too pricey. Won't catch me going back anytime soon.

going to make our journey to WinterFest on Saturday, Dec. 10. I guess I didn' notice from the pictures before... but the trees on IS aren't lit. that's kind of sad.

To answer a post from before... no they didn't charge parking during the first run. When it gets cold... that would be an AWFUL job duty!

Can anyone point out the "don't miss" points? Do I hear correctly that there are no horse-drawn rides? It will be hard "not" to compare this one with the old one... but a comparison isn't really fair. I do know that price-wise... if they don't do something with the price they might as well forget being open Monday-Sunday during that week near the end of the month. Especially if it gets REAL cold. I remember my fifth grade class going there.... IT WAS SOOOOOOOO COLD! And again 1991 with my lady friend at the time. We were making our "n-th" trip... and it was so cold people were literally running out of the gate holding their heads. Of course our thoughts turned to "oooooh, shorter lines."

Point of those stories.... school groups will go at $5-8 admission per student. I doubt many field trips will go at $19.99. Idiots, such as my former self, will make repeated appearances in near-zero temps at $5-10 admission. At $19-25....

We are going on Dec, 10. It's been an usually tight year financially for my wife and I and we've decided this is our Christmas to each other. It's sad to think that we'll shell out close to $50 just to get in the park.... if we choose to skate we're up to $70... if we eat or get anything else we're going to be in the $100 range... then there's the babysitter.

My point. I haven't been there yet- we're excited to go, but I am dissappointed in the decision on price structure.

We are going on Dec, 10. It's been an usually tight year financially for my wife and I and we've decided this is our Christmas to each other. It's sad to think that we'll shell out close to $50 just to get in the park.... if we choose to skate we're up to $70... if we eat or get anything else we're going to be in the $100 range... then there's the babysitter.

My point. I haven't been there yet- we're excited to go, but I am dissappointed in the decision on price structure.

Just save up some cash and make it a big night out. If you walk into any place with the notion of getting your money's worth you'll always be disappointed. Just try to enjoy the spectacle and the shows and I guarentee you'll have a good time.

We are going on Dec, 10.  It's been an usually tight year financially for my wife and I and we've decided this is our Christmas to each other.  It's sad to think that we'll shell out close to $50 just to get in the park.... if we choose to skate we're up to $70... if we eat or get anything else we're going to be in the $100 range... then there's the babysitter. 

My point.  I haven't been there yet- we're excited to go, but I am dissappointed in the decision on price structure.

Just save up some cash and make it a big night out. If you walk into any place with the notion of getting your money's worth you'll always be disappointed. Just try to enjoy the spectacle and the shows and I guarentee you'll have a good time.

stil, when you still pay for parking at an event like that, its kinda bad, do the trams even run?

Mr. Fudd (love your opera smile.gif) is exactly the kind of person I was talking about. I can surely think of better things to do with my wife for $100 (stop the snickering wink.gif). I think the longer KI stays with this price structure the better chance the event has to FAIL. (Is that their intention all along?) In order to make money, you must spend it. With this kind of event (just like fearfest) you can expect to LOOSE money the first couple of years. It's like opening a new park. It takes time for word of mouth to spread and get the excitement about the attraction.

That being said I too will be going to Winterfest. In the past I can't ever remember it being that "Busy". I think that if the marketing department of PKI is ever expecting a "sellout" in the first year of operation they will be sorely dissapointed. As a season pass holder, I believe they should raise the price of season passes 20 - 30 bucks and include winterfest for pass holders. If I go down and it's "too crowded" I'll just leave and come back another time if I don't have to pay to get in. (just like I do now in the summer). But on low attendance days the park will have more people in it (watching beginner ice skaters is pretty entertaining smile.gif) and would give that park a "busy" feel. With so little attractions a half hour wait for scooby doo would probably help burn time.

I'm extremely hopeful that KI will do the right thing. Christmas is a season of giving and as I always saw Winterfest in the past, it was a way of the park saying "thanks" for a wonderful summer season.

Happy Holidays,

Todd

Yes, I was surprised not to see lights on the trees on International Street. In the renderings of International Street, they show the trees lit with lights. So either they ran out of time to decorate them, becuase they were open that first weekend in November. Or they cut that from the list of things to do for whatever reason. Budget perhaps? Yes, there are no horse drawn carriage rides at WinterFest. At least not this season.

On the topic of prices. From what I have heard, they had quite a lot of people buying advanced tickets in the summer, and a lot of companies buying tickets for their employees. I would not be surprised if they do have a couple sell outs this season. I also would not be surprised if they offer some steep discounts after Christmas. Especially since Santa will not be gracing Santa`s Christmas Town after Christmas as he will be back at the North Pole.

I also would not be surprised if they offer some steep discounts after Christmas. Especially since Santa will not be gracing Santa`s Christmas Town after Christmas as he will be back at the North Pole.

I do hope they have discounts after Christmas. That's when I'll have the most time to go.

I saw the thing about Santa returning to the North Pole. I thought that was kind of funny. I had worried how they would handle that after Christmas. I wonder if they'll pull Santa from the parade too.... I mean, Santa appears in a lot of things, so I doubt they'll pull him everywhere, but if you recall, they put Santa on a break to join the parade, so they clearly think that children will be able to see the correlation between the two characters.

I also would not be surprised if they offer some steep discounts after Christmas.  Especially since Santa will not be gracing Santa`s Christmas Town after Christmas as he will be back at the North Pole.

I do hope they have discounts after Christmas. That's when I'll have the most time to go.

I saw the thing about Santa returning to the North Pole. I thought that was kind of funny. I had worried how they would handle that after Christmas. I wonder if they'll pull Santa from the parade too.... I mean, Santa appears in a lot of things, so I doubt they'll pull him everywhere, but if you recall, they put Santa on a break to join the parade, so they clearly think that children will be able to see the correlation between the two characters.

What are you trying to hint at? That there is no Santa Clause? AND no one told me? WTF blink.gif

I think the reason why Santa takes a break during the parade every night is for continuity. The parade passes right by Santa's Workshop, and there are windows in Santa's Worskshop that would make it possible for someone to potentially see TWO Santa's at the same time. A big no-no for theme park characters.

I think they will pull Santa's Workshop due to lack of interest in sitting on Santa's lap after the holiday, but leave him in the parade and Santa's Toy Factory

Edited to change "Summer" to "Holdiay", but haven't you heard of Christmas In July? This year Christmas in July was celebrated by the big Winterfest media announcement.

Can't have a winter celebration without santa.gif ! laugh.gif

Maybe Santa will bring Vortex another great 18 years of operation! Or that Vekoma we have all been dreaming about... biggrin.gif

I am going to try and get to Winterfest sometime this winter - but hopefully the price will come down toward the end. I know its only like 20 bucks if you get your ticket at Blockbuster.

Well to add some great insight to this topic.

I will not support an organization that does not support all forms of lodging. Hell why I am at it I will not support an organization that will not support all Winter holidays. What makes Christmas so special??? I will not attend or be a supporter of PKI until they have a Qwanza festival at the park. Also why cant the Effiel Tower be a giant Minorah or Dradel?

I hope everyone can sense my sarcasim and also thank you for your negative review of WinterFest, unfortunately it has not changed my mind nor do I think your opinion will change anyone elses here at PKIC, but thanks for the two cents and the fact that we will never see you post on here again about anything else related to PKI. Hope the time you spent was worth it.

Also why cant the Effiel Tower be a giant Minorah or Dradel?

Indeed, PKI does have a 3 giant Jewish symbols... Troika is a giant Menorah... Delirium is a giant Dreidel. And you would have to ask DeliriumDreamer what Tomb Raider is. She has told me like 20 times and I can't ever remember. Maybe Captain Nemo knows... unsure.giflaugh.gif

The ONLY real way for people to enjoy WinterFest, is to open SoB. wink.gif

In all reailty, even $17.99 (advanced tickets) is way too pricy for a Christmas event. Now if the $17.99 included everything (skates, rink time, hot chocolate w/o food, parking, etc.) then it would be a worthwhile event.

I understand that it is PKI's first WinterFest, but using that excuse as to why all the "i's" were not dotted and the "t's" were not crossed is a horrible way to defend PKI, as is the excuse "Well there was not that much time to set everything up after FearFeat." If they can take $17.99 to $25.00 they should have all their ducks in a row- first year or not.

...Or for that matter, give the people a discount coupon for next WinterFest upon their entry for $5.00, and simply state that "If you enjoyed WinterFest 2005, 2006 will even be better."

I personally enjoy going to the zoo. It is nice to see al the animals actually moving and doing things at night.

That makes me mad. Winterfest must not be turning out to be as great as the park wanted it too. Why all of sudden all of these discounts. First they make you purchase tickets in advance, cause they threaten you with they may sell out. So I buy my tickets in advance for $17.99 for this Saturday. So I paid over $37.00 for tickets + shipping. Now your telling me that season pass holders can buy one ticket at full price and get the second on free. That would have saved me quite a bit of change. I wonder if I complain to PKI if they would do anything?

Wow,

These new discount offers really tell the tale, don't they?

$12.50 for passholders, and $14.99 for general public. So much for the "Very exclusive Macy's stye event that will be a very hot ticket" that the park had in mind.

PKI now has two weekends under their belt, or 6 days (7 if you include the preview party) ot the 23 days of WinterFest (or about a fourth of the festival)Thiat my have been enough to see the writing on the wall and start cranking up the discount promotions. After all, if the event was being well-attended the park would have no need of these new deep discount offers.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked WinterFest as an event, but perhaps they overpriced themselves a little bit. I think they thought all they had to do was open the gates, and throngs of people nostalgic of rhe original WinterFest would come flooding in every night, where in reality, I think PKI hadsto earn back the reputation it had before. recall that during the shows's first run, there wasn't an event at the Beach, and th event at the Zoo was in ints infancy.

I mean the tab for two of up to go to Winterfest admittedly with food was $77. (Admission, parking, food), that was without partipating in the upchrage ice skating.

Also why cant the Effiel Tower be a giant Minorah or Dradel?

Indeed, PKI does have a 3 giant Jewish symbols... Troika is a giant Menorah... Delirium is a giant Dreidel. And you would have to ask DeliriumDreamer what Tomb Raider is. She has told me like 20 times and I can't ever remember. Maybe Captain Nemo knows... unsure.giflaugh.gif

Captain Nemo does know the answer...user posted image

Tomb Raider: The Ride is the Torah!!!

user posted image

Sabot Shalom Everyone!