WinterFest attractions by Jack Rouse Associates

CoastersRZ

Jack Rouse Associates, the Cincinnati firm that deals with master planning, museums, entertainment as well as attraction design and development partnered with Paramount`s Kings Island to bring to life many of the attractions at WinterFest. From the company responsible for Bubba Gump Shrimp Shack and the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum comes several of the star WinterFest attractions. Jack Rouse provided Kings Island with masterplanning for this event. They also designed and produced the theme and scenic elements for the White Christmas Express. They also designed and produced the Holiday Illuminations show on Swan Lake, as well as Santa`s Christmas Town and the WinterFesthaus. Additionally, they provided theming and scenic elements for Scrooge`s House on International Street.

You can read the full news release on the Jack Rouse Associates website here.

They also designed and produced the theme and scenic elements for the White Christmas Express.

I hope they didn't pay too much for this. Seeing how this was probably the worst attraction at the event.

Must have been bad, I thought the Train at Fear Fest (During Nick-or-Treat) was bad enough... 1 little 2 little 3 little pumpkins...

I didnt do it at night though, although I did see it, as I was getting on or off Tomb Raider... was I getting on or off??

Paramount Parks Design and Entertainment no longer exists. They did away with it. All the parks contract out. Each park handles their own costuming and the Nick characters and the Nick parade are handled through Nick. PPD&E even sold all their sets, backdrops, and costumes to local communities and schools. I worked at KI for over 20 years and I have family that are entertainment managers still. Never posted before.

Paramount Parks Design and Entertainment no longer exists. They did away with it. All the parks contract out. Each park handles their own costuming and the Nick characters and the Nick parade are handled through Nick. PPD&E even sold all their sets, backdrops, and costumes to local communities and schools. I worked at KI for over 20 years and I have family that are entertainment managers still. Never posted before.

Wow, that's really interesting. I guess they anticipated a cost savings by outsourcing these functions as opposed to doing them in-house.

I'm glad you posted...I bet with 20-years experience working for the park you'll have a lot of insight to add to our conversations smile.gif Welcome!

Some of the designers from PPD&E are still working with Paramount Parks, but instead of having a department on staff, they are now simply sub-contracted.

For instance, one of the lead designers, Dave Cobb - Creative Director for Paramount Parks (Largely responsible for Italian Job, the new Nick Central Expansion etc), is still essentially employed by Paramount Parks. But instead of being "on staff" he is now considered an outside contracted talent.

They utilize the designers that they have on retainer, then allow outside vendors/manufacturers to bid on producing the actual product.

Shaggy

When was PPD&E disbanded? I knew they were disbanded, but I seem to remember them having a role in Tomb Raider: The Ride as well as The Wild Thornberrys River Adventure.

PKI must be doing something right as far as entertainments goes, because in general, I felt the live entertainment at WinterFest (and the past year at the park as well) has been very good. I am glad to see that PKI has been putting on more and more parades as they seem to be crowd pleasers with young and old alike.