PKI Report

Radd

Wow. A lot of opinions. I dont know. I read through a lot of the coasterbuzz topic and I can see that these people are well not liked.

The final bullet is what really got to me. Perhaps PR knows something and is hiding it, perhaps they're blowing these people off. I want to know what these question were, does anyone know?

Does PKI even know who these people are? Thats the real question.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if they were accusing the park of something based on rumor and speculation, it is no wonder why the park would blow them off. Especially with the way their "safety organization" website tabulates and posts information about ride safety at parks. Their methods are clearly unscientific, and offer little evidence of safety issues. As such, the park probably doesn`t take them seriously. I`m sure between the Ohio Department of Agriculture Rides Safety Division, and PKI`s insurance company keep Kings Island`s rides as safe as possible.

I`m sure between the Ohio Department of Agriculture Rides Safety Division, and PKI`s insurance company keep Kings Island`s rides as safe as possible.

I was reading more through this site and found this....

This Organization is in California, yet this Jason guy met with the Chief inspector in Ohio. Even more interesting is SOB being closed before the park closed for the year...is this true? ohmy.gif

11.15.05 -  ALERT: ASO - Safety has concluded reports on Paramount's Kings Island and Cedar Point amusement parks. In August 2005, ASO President, Jason Herrera visited these two venues as part of an independent observation visit. One issue he touches on:

The many complaints surrounding The Son of Beast Roller Coaster. An intense wooden roller coaster with a loop, but clearly an extremely rough, jerky, uncomfortable roller coaster. Mr. Herrera did stress the many complaints surrounding this roller coaster to the state of Ohio during a meeting he had with Chief Mr. Jim Truex. ASO also learned that this ride was later shut down for maintenance, even though the park was still open to the public and had yet shut down for the year...

Mr. Herrera also visited with Ohio Department of Agriculture (Division of Ride Safety) Chief Mr. Jim Truex - both coming to an understanding that they want to ensure the safety of the paying public when they board a permanent amusement ride in the state of Ohio.

I would personally like to thank, Mr. Truex for his time and having me as a guest in his office to discuss amusement safety within the state of Ohio. It's clear that we're both on the same page, being we both share the same goal of ensuring the safety of the thousands of riders who board permanent amusement rides in the great state of Ohio!

-Jason Herrera

If someone had a bone disease they have no business riding SoB and if they did... all i could say would be "Rider beware"...

Amusement parks on the whole do generally a good job of covering themselves with the signs posted at the front of the rides. The list of medical conditions is rather lengthy so one could only assume that if someone with one of these diagnosed or undiagnosed conditions were to ride, it would not be at the companies fault.

I had read an article in the AACN (a magazine for critical care nurses) a few years back, and it listed the top 10 ways americans had uncovered an undiagnosed illness or medical condition. Number 6 or 7 was "high adrenaline" activities, and thereafter was listed amusement rides.

It made sense though after reading, you have to assume that in certain cases or extreme thrill rides undiagnosed high blood pressure or any cardiac disorder could be set off severely by riding such intesnse rides ...

Its definately really late, and im not sure if any of that made sense, but Im up out like a fat girl in dodge ball

The site may be a joke but I read some of the reports on parks I have been to and don't see anything I can say is untrue.

Then you have someone here that tells you SOB is not rough. After that it is hard to take that person seriously.

Having read through this site a little more....things are looking more interesting.

I agree, too, the parks I have been to and read about are right on.

Has anyone contacted this people? I think I may try and see what kind of reply I get.

The site may be a joke but I read some of the reports on parks I have been to and don't see anything I can say is untrue.

Then you have someone here that tells you SOB is not rough. After that it is hard to take that person seriously.

Having read through this site a little more....things are looking more interesting.

I agree, too, the parks I have been to and read about are right on.

Has anyone contacted this people? I think I may try and see what kind of reply I get.

I have to also agree.

I also looked at the comments made about CP, BGW, BGT, and PKD and I have to agree with all the comments made about all of the parks (I was lucky enough to visit all 5 in 2005).

It is too bad that some fanboys cannot handle the truth...

I don't think the problem is what they say, it's the claims of "officialness" made when saying it. If they just promoted themselves as any other enthusiast site, it wouldn't be a problem. I don't necessarily disagree with the opinions listed, but, I understand they're just that--opinions.

However, they promote themselves as some "official safety organization", when in fact they're not. They are just some guys with a web site--just like Coasterbuzz or PKIC. They do some opinion polling of consumers then represent it as scientific fact. (Even criticizing the food for God's sake...) To be honest, any one of us could start the exact same site with every bit as much credibility as they have.

The part I find really interesting is that according to people familiar with this group who have posted on Coasterbuzz, their real business is CPR training. According to those posts, parks who won't hire them for this service get threatened with bad reviews on their site. Jeff (@ CB) hinted in a recent post that he had some inside information on soon-to-be-filed lawsuits by the parks against them for this "shake down" approach to a business model.

Keep in mind...anyone can can come up with an official sounding name (even if it is just made up) and say anything you want on the Internet. Of course, you better be prepared to defend it when the corporate counsels come calling...

I think we are getting into a freedom of speech thing here. I don't know if they can tell that site what they can and can't say. If they can they could tell this site what we could or could not say.

I think they have to prove intent to cause harm or has caused and I don't see it.

I agree that it doesn't look official.

I just looked at the site again for the first time in months. They have seemed to tone down the "we are the official source for park safety" rhetoric that was listed on the site before. They also don't seem to make nearly as many claims now about the scientific value of their "information." (They've also seemed to have cleaned up a lot of the spelling and grammar mistakes which is also a good thing...)

You may have to prove intent to harm to WIN a lawsuit, but not to file it. A big corporation with its own legal team can quickly ruin a little guy just by forcing them to defend themselves--regardless of their right to free speech. (And, as someone with a degree in journalism, I agree is kind of troubling...realistic, but troubling...)

You may have to prove intent to harm to WIN a lawsuit, but not to file it. A big corporation with its own legal team can quickly ruin a little guy just by forcing them to defend themselves--regardless of their right to free speech. (And, as someone with a degree in journalism, I agree is kind of troubling...realistic, but troubling...)

I agree with this. Isn't there some law that says if you make someone show information that you, too have to share your info as well?

If this is true, do the parks take the chance and show their information? Because if these people have all this information that they show and they can back it up, the parks would be at a lose-lose situation.

Kind of interesting.

SOB is a rough ride. I know it, I've riden it. I won't ride it again. There are also numerous warnings about it being rough... the signs and the audio warnings. If people don't listen, it's their fault. Besides, the rides have to be inspected and deemed safe by the state every year. If it fails inspection, it has to pass before it can open.

As of safty...

Parents need to keep track of their kids better! The park is just a huge baby sitter. Parents leave their childern - 5-12 years old, in the park by themselves all the time. They also trust teenagers to look after their younger siblings while the parents ride rides. No wonder kids get lost! Parents need to do a better job looking after their kids. Now, if they do get lost, there are numerous things that start to happen and the kids are always reunited.

If someone wants to talk saftey, then they need to tell the parents to follow the rules - especially in Nick Central. The rides there are dangerous still, but parents insist on going into the ride areas to pick up lost hats or other articles, even after being told not to. What idiots! Taxi Jam was the worst for it... parents seem to be drawn into it. How stupid can they be?

Also, they need to quit trying to put their kids in danger by throwing their own fits about their kids being too short to ride rides. They will yell, scream and threaten to try and get their kids on a ride they are too short to ride and just end up with passes taken away and kicked out of the park. Again, what idiots!

One has to wonder how their kids will grow up and act...

The rides have to be inspected and deemed safe by the state every year. My guess is thats why they are working on SOB now so it will pass inspection in the spring. If it was to be inspected in the fall again do you think it would pass?

Why numerous warnings don't work is no one would think it is that bad. The same warnings was there when it wasn't as bad as it is now.

There are also numerous warnings about it being rough... the signs and the audio warnings. If people don't listen, it's their fault.

You are right, there are signs about the ride being rough. But you will also find the same signs on most of the other thrill rides in the park, and *almost* the same exact signs at any other park. It is just that SoB is much more extreme than most (if not all) rides; people may have a unknown condition, yet can still ride other thrill rides with the unknown condition and the same warning signs and have no ill effects until riding SoB.

The rides have to be inspected and deemed safe by the state every year. My guess is thats why they are working on SOB now so it will pass inspection in the spring. If it was to be inspected in the fall again do you think it would pass?

Why numerous warnings don't work is no one would think it is that bad. The same warnings was there when it wasn't as bad as it is now.

I highly doubt that SOB is barely passing inspection, its rough due to the ride design, its not unsafe! There are plenty of other wooden coasters out there that can be just as rough, yeah SOB can be bad for some people, but its perfectly safe.

There are also numerous warnings about it being rough... the signs and the audio warnings. If people don't listen, it's their fault.

You are right, there are signs about the ride being rough. But you will also find the same signs on most of the other thrill rides in the park, and *almost* the same exact signs at any other park. It is just that SoB is much more extreme than most (if not all) rides; people may have a unknown condition, yet can still ride other thrill rides with the unknown condition and the same warning signs and have no ill effects until riding SoB.

[To Paraphrase] "Son of Beast is a high speed thrilling turbulant ride with sudden drops and quick turns."

-Voice of the Jeff Siebert

I'm willing to say that it's a little more distinct than most other rides.

I believe they need to have a big ol' sign posted at the front of the entrance to SOB and have it read "This is the roughest roller coaster in the park. Beware of the Son of Beast's wrath it can unleash on your body. Take whatever precautions are necessary."

[To Paraphrase] "Son of Beast is a high speed thrilling turbulant ride with sudden drops and quick turns."

-Voice of the Jeff Siebert

I'm willing to say that it's a little more distinct than most other rides.

Other rides have recordings that are piped through as well and mention the same type of warnings. Unfortunatly, some speakers do not work, or, people do not pay attention to what is being spoken. That is why I was referring to to signs that are posted.

I believe they need to have a big ol' sign posted at the front of the entrance to SOB and have it read "This is the roughest roller coaster in the park. Beware of the Son of Beast's wrath it can unleash on your body. Take whatever precautions are necessary."

i love how all you people miss the big sign up front that says "extreme thrill ride" and the rating of "5" posted quite largely and visually on the sign ride next to the greeter stand as well as more numerous warnings posted throughout the que line and the voice overs. And captain picard, just because you think it feels "rougher" doesnt mean the ride has gotten unsafe, if that were true and it was failing safety inspections or was close to doing so the amusement ride inspection division of the ohio department of agriculture would probably make it known to the public. Its a rough coaster, get over it people, dont like rough coasters then dont ride it........theres plenty of people who still do. Rattler, Mean Streak, and the Texas Giant are also extremely rough wooden coasters the ride is not unsafe.........this is how stupid rumors get started and im not trying to be offensive to you picard but its just annoying when guests think just because a ride was rough to them no matter how much detail they notice, they think they know more than the park and assume its unsafe.