Great wolf lodge

DA RIPPER

this may have been mentioned before, but does this signal the beginning of the end for the Kings Island Resort?

I doubt it. The resort/ hotel will still be used by guests that are using the Golf course or the tennis arena. Some of those guests may have not want to be in a family/ playtime atmosphere.

But this would be a great time to renovate the hotel.

GWL in Mason

Edit- Great Wolf Lodge info & pics

[quote=But this would be a great time to renovate the hotel.

GWL in Mason

Edit- Great Wolf Lodge info & pics

Actually, about ten years ago would have been a great time to rehab that hotel!! biggrin.gif

But, seriously, you're right...it will be interesting to see how the existing hotel deals with new onsite competition it's never had before!

Guest faceoff

I have stayed at the Kings Island resort before, and will not again. I found

dead insects in the restroom. When i stay at a hotel,i expect a room clean

and free of bugs. I now always stay at the hampton inn on beach boulevard.I

highly suggest this hotel. Have a nice day. smile.gif

Guest faceoff

Elmer

I always stay at the hampton inn. I also belong to the hilton honors club. I

do often recieve free nights based on on my point total. They have a breakfast

each morning(included with room rate). Also a indoor pool. The hotel is 1/4

mile from park. From the parking lot,you can see the drop zone,Son of Beast,

and faceoff. I already have my reservation for opening weekend.

Tom smile.gif

Kings Island resort and Great wolf lodge should not be in competition. The prices should tell you that. People that will stay at one wouldn't the other.

The main competition will come from the people who have always stayed at the Kings Island Inn because it was the only park "onsite." I have no doubt that a good number of those people will abandon it for GWL...

The GWL at Mason will be the biggest Great Wolf Lodge in the state (of course, there's only one other...in Sandusky). It will be the second largest indoor waterpark/resort overall. (Kalahari in Sandusky will still be the biggest...but by only a few thousand square feet.)

It may be popular around winterfest, but for the summer......touring families will pay alot at PKI's gate just to get them in the park ...........for the average joe it's alot of money.

well, it's a seperate entity from the park. What I mean is, Great Wolf Lodge is its own company that wants to succeed. This being said, the company will do its own marketing and joint market with KI. Now, they might not get the guests next summer, (the thing is supposed to be done sometime this fall) or the summer after. I estimate it will really take them about 3 years to really get this thing out there and marketed. After that, I imagine they will start having a good amount of year round visitors, which in turn, should increase park attendance throughout the regular and winterfest seasons.

It may be popular around winterfest, but for the summer......touring families will pay alot at PKI's gate just to get them in the park ...........for the average joe it's alot of money.

well, it's a seperate entity from the park. What I mean is, Great Wolf Lodge is its own company that wants to succeed. This being said, the company will do its own marketing and joint market with KI. Now, they might not get the guests next summer, (the thing is supposed to be done sometime this fall) or the summer after. I estimate it will really take them about 3 years to really get this thing out there and marketed. After that, I imagine they will start having a good amount of year round visitors, which in turn, should increase park attendance throughout the regular and winterfest seasons.

Actually, if you look at the facilities and whatnot within the GWL, it seems like it's a lot less of a "Stay at the GWL and go to PKI" concept and more of a "Dad is a busines traveler whose conference is at the GWL, so let's all go and bring the family so they can enjoy the local attractions" concept. Will it work? Only time will tell. Hopefully it'll drive up attendance at PKI, though.

Yes. Hopefully thought it will be successful (with the hefty price tag to build the thing). Additionally, hopefully the park benefits more from the GWL next door than they did with the old campground. It will take a while to see whether or not it is a success for both parties involved (PKI because of the old campground, and GWL who is the majority owner). It definantely looks like it will be a great place, and a unique type of hotel/resort combination in the area with the indoor water park.

It's not like the indoor waterpark/resort is some brand new untested idea...

There's a ton of these things (by different brands) all over the country, and they all seem to be performing pretty well. (There are three alone operating in Sandusky.)

From their investor information, GWL reports a pretty healthy chain-wide occupancy rate (definitely in line with industry averages), and more importantly they report that nearly 50% of their business comes from repeat customers.

Yes, they are expensive, but so is every other convention hotel. (And, most of those don't offer the same kind of entertainment experience...)

I think the Mason GWL will do just fine...

• 1 month later...