New Arrow Dynamics coaster under construction!

Fuji-Q in Japan has started construction of a new coaster. It has been rumored to be an Arrow Dynamics 4-th Dimensional coaster, like X at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Well some photographs have been posted on Theme Park Review - and it is definately one of these coasters! I hear the 4Ds aren't that great - but I don't have firsthand experience. What is exciting to me, an Arrow Dynamics fanboy - is that S&S Arrow - the company formed after S&S Power bought the defunct Arrow Dynamics (the company that built Vortex and Top Gun) - is building an Arrow designed coaster. Even though they acquired the company a couple years ago - the only coaster they built was the air powered launch coaster. Now - they are building a true Arrow design! Perhaps Arrow will live on under the guide of S&S Power!!!

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Dont forget to mention Denise Dinn works for S&S now, one of the co-owners of the now defunct CCI based out of WestChester. Someday may see another great woodie.

They've already built some wood coasters since Denise joined the team. J2 at Clementon Lake, Avalanche up in the Wisconsin Dells, the junior wood coaster at Cypress Gardens, Timberhawk at Enchanted Village and one in Europe. So I would say the wood coaster division has been the most successful part of their business over the last several years. For what its worth, I rode Avalanche up in the Dells. It was typically CCI.....insane speeds, ejector air, totally out of control. I only hope they don't BUILD their rides like CCI, which almost always required a complete retracking and beefing up after the first season.

Yeah I know it is S&S Arrow now - but what I am saying is that they are building an Arrow coaster. Even after they merged, S&S basically only kept the parts shop open - and did not build any new Arrow rides. I hope they realize that compressed air is nothe system of the future - although cool, there are other types of rides out there. So if they are starting to manufacture the compressed air rides under S&S - like the new screaming swings that Cedar Point and Valleyfair are getting, and coasters under the Arrow division - it would be awesome.

Sadly though, Ron Toomer - the unparalleled genius that created the best ride in the world - Vortex - is no longer with Arrow. But perhaps they will design some new rides that will bring back the good old days... biggrin.gif

I think he meant Dschinghis Khan: The Ride.

and what a great ride that would be, i hope they retheme SDATHC to Dschingis Khan! Actually fof96, Ron Toomer had a pretty good career with Arrow, he designed some great rides like Magnum, Big Bad Wolf, Loch Ness Monster, Python and many more. I wonder whatever became of him after Arrow went under or if he retired, his last coaster was desperado in 1992.

Dracken Kan? huh.gif

You mean... Drachen fire? laugh.gif

Yea Drachen Fire

Also don't forget, Drachen Fire was actually designed to be bulit by another company other then Arrow. Probably B&M. If you look at the elements of DF they look more like they should be B&M elements and not Arrow. I think that is where alot of those problems came from.

Ron Toomer designed Drachen Fire but it may have been modified from a B&M design. Like the park bought a B&M then didn't want to pay 20 million for it - so had Arrow build it. Who knows. It is pretty awesome looking - but I mean - an Arrow with a cobra roll? Interlocking corkscrews? The thing screams B&M. Er... screamed...

I think Toomer is still alive. He just is retired.

Dont forget to mention Denise Dinn works for S&S now, one of the co-owners of the now defunct CCI based out of WestChester.  Someday may see another great woodie.

They've already built some wood coasters since Denise joined the team. J2 at Clementon Lake, Avalanche up in the Wisconsin Dells, the junior wood coaster at Cypress Gardens, Timberhawk at Enchanted Village and one in Europe. So I would say the wood coaster division has been the most successful part of their business over the last several years. For what its worth, I rode Avalanche up in the Dells. It was typically CCI.....insane speeds, ejector air, totally out of control. I only hope they don't BUILD their rides like CCI, which almost always required a complete retracking and beefing up after the first season.

dude, cci wasn't ALL bad... Legend... Raven...

I dont think anyone said CCI was bad, they just closed their doors for personal reassons and a lot of employees went to work for S&S. Ron Toomer retired before Arrow shut their doors, he was older and been doing it for a long time.

Drachen Fire was a really good ride. Insanely rough, makes SOB look like a B&M design. Drachen Fire was impressive and very unique but the transitions were insanely rought, just like most of Toomers other designs.

We can only hope that S&S takes the knowledge of the Arrow people and improves their designs and mechanics. So far S&S has had very little success in the coaster business. Hopefully that changes.

Arrow's 4D coaster design sucks. So many problems with it. I rode X, hated it, and would most likely hate this ride.

henrey you said it perfectly!

the 4D design must of been improved DRASTICLY for any park to even consider it.

I mean, come on.

I love the concept, just the fact that there are two sets of rails to ride on at one time, I want to ride one, even if it does suck, i will be happy to ride it, for the shear fact that it has a unique ride.

Back to the inversion part on Drachen Fire, I have a roller coaster video that features Drachen Fire before it was taken down and it has the name of the what we now know as the cobra roll being called The Bat wing. It also features a camel back and it has an interview with Ron Toomer as you go up the first hill.

The most inovative part of Drachen Fire IMO was the corkscrew as you went down the first hill and then the second hill was massive on airtime. Very cool design and layout. I rode Drachen Fire 6 times without getting off at one of my visits at BGW. Must say that was a great experience on Drachen Fire eventhough I had to sit for awhile afterwards and get my brain and internal organs back together. By far one of the roughest coasters ever. SOB is nowhere close.

Was it really the way toomer designed the coasters that made them rough or was it the technology at the time? Compared to other Arrow designers at the time where his designs different in terms of ride comfort? Jasper, is that video you have on VHS, if so do you have any S-Video or alternate video inputs on your comptuer so you can put it on the pc?

Ive ridden a number of Arrow Toomer coasters and they all had a level of roughness, but nothing like Drachen Fire. I think it is a combination of the speed, transition from element to element, and design techniques used. He preferred to go at it by hand instead of using the more advanced computer modeling systems to design a coaster. I honestly think that old school approach plays a huge role in the roughness of Toomer designed coasters.