PKD's Flight of Fear...No more?

PKI Foodguy

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with FOF.  Hardly ever breaks down, still brings in a big crowd, everday.  To me, screamscape is crap and I never believe in it.  I dont know about PKD, but PKI has no reason to remove FOF.

Amen.

Double Amen smile.gif

Also, if Paramount Parks was going to start a ride rotation program, doesn't FoF seem like an expensive one to start that with? In addition to the disassembly, shipping, and reassembly costs there would be the cost of constructing a building at the new site... (Which, guessing, I'd say is probably 25% of the ride's cost.) Or, I guess FoF could be left as an outdoor coaster at its new location, but that would certainly take a lot away from the ride experience. Then, of course, something would have to be done with the existing building at PKD.

How many seasons of tinkering with the restraints did it take to finally get it right? It would be a shame to send it somewhere else now. biggrin.gif

I think they are retheming it to the Soundwave - or another outdoor coaster. Think about it - the LIMs it has now cannot work outdoors because of rain. So they would have to get new LIMs and install them, then calibrate them. That would take a long time. You saw how long it took to calibrate IJST. It took like a month. And IJST only is half the speed of FOF. Then they have to tear down the building, clean it up, repaint it, retheme the station and queue line. It could take the better part of a year to do - which may be why FOF is not opening this year.

If it is a retheme and an extensive one at that, then they will have to remove stuff then put in whatever new stuff they are adding. That would take longer than building something from scratch.

What I really don't get, and certainly don't agree with is the way they go about doing this. "Starting" things in the middle of the off season and "closing" the ride for all of this coming season not giving notice of what they are doing and not offering last rides on it As Is.

Not to mention the rumor comes out, they remove it from the site that day, and give no statement leaving people confused and angry. We're still sitting in the dark a couple days later and still no word is coming out of the park. I have little faith in their operation protocol even if the end result is something great.

Well, they did cut the Outer Limits theme from the preshow. Primarily the "We control the Horizontal. We control the Vertical." as well as "...experience the Outer Limits." at the end of the preshow. Other than those very minor changes, FoF has remained the same (minus the lapbar modification) as when it opened.

Im so ticked that they dont say those last three lines! I like Klocke's idea of putting Borg dummies in the tubes and theming the ride to star trek, put in some strobes and borg voice recordings in the drum and it could make for one scary and thrilling ride, then as you come along the final brake run you could hear captain picard announcing that youve been saved from assimilation and are returnign to the enterprise shuttle bay.

Id like to see it as this: That outisede are is themed to star fleet headquarters and features a new dining area and trek themed gift shop and paths to the new expansion wink.gif the military base has been transformed to look like a regular 24th century building and big back drops like the ones used at Disney's MGM park not only make it feel like your in a real city but give that suspension of reality feel that movies and themes are supposed to give. While waiting in line in side the building you are breifed by Captain Picard, Admiral Janeway, Captain Sisco, and Cmdr. Riker on how youve infiltrated a captured Borg Sphere and you and your crew will take part in sabotaging it, the inside que will be made to look like a starfleet base and where youd usually enter the saucer, you will enter into what looks like the outside of a borg cube amongst the neon green lights and smoke. Inside as you make your turn you see Borg in the statis tubes and borg voices making anouncements about preparing for assimilation and how "resistance is futle". You board your craft and shoot off into the unkown, inside the bowl there would be strobes, fog and borg voices and the sound of machines and at the end, some sort of lights used to make it look like pyrotechnics as you pass throuigh the corckscrew making your escape. As you come onto the final brake run you hear Cpt. Picard commending you for a job well done and the ride exit would look like th enterprise's shuttle bay. The PKI ride ops would have to wear trek uniforms. I think that would be pretty darn cool, even if you dont like ST. However, I do see how you could give the ride a dark ride type feel and possibly do something with the Addams Family but for now I think the captured UFO military secret base isnt bad since its decently clsoe to Wright Patt, which is rumored to have dealings with with UFO's and secret technology of the cold war era (yeah right but still a neat litlle gimmick having the current FOF theme).