Congo Falls Water

Captain Obvious

Ok, I have noticed that every night the water is drained from Congo Falls, How do they do this and where does it go? And than in the mourning, there is like instant water in there, How is this? And finally, has anybody else noticed the water is cleaner this year?

Unless the lake is a contained resevour, they would not be allowed to just pump it into a normal lake. The DEP monitors those types of things quite closely. The chlorine would contaminate the ground water after a long period of time. My guess is that PKI has a seperate area for all the water used in the park (Congo Falls, WWC), of course excluding BB, and filter it every night.

Unless the lake is a contained resevour, they would not be allowed to just pump it into a normal lake. The DEP monitors those types of things quite closely. The chlorine would contaminate the ground water after a long period of time. My guess is that PKI has a seperate area for all the water used in the park (Congo Falls, WWC), of course excluding BB, and filter it every night.

Both Congo and WWC have their own resevoirs. I can't swear by this, but I'm pretty sure that they are either chlorinated or treated in some way (although the water doesn't necessarily smell like chlorine). They probably wouldn't be able to just use any water they wanted... that would be dangerous.

I believe that Congo and Thornberrys are set up like a swimming pool, where they drain the water from the surounding pool area when the temperature dips below freezing. The water they use on these rides is treated. However, WWC uses creek water, I believe and is stored in a resevoir/dammed up creek. Sometimes in the off season, you can see the small pond by WWC emptied.

The "pond" that Congo Falls and Wild Thornberries are situated in are simply man-made concrete pools. The water that flows through the rides is pumped into the pools from a main water source just the same as the waterslides in the waterpark. There are no fish or living things in these pools simply because the water is chemically treated.

WWC is supplied by a man-made pond next to it's pumphouse. This pond water is also treated. It would be unsanitary to operate the ride with regurgitated and un-treated water. However the overflow pond that WWC uses is not a concrete pool. It is literally a pond dug into the ground. That causes the water to be more stream-like and less pure as that in the other water attractions.

The reason WWC has it's own resevior pond, is because it is not situated "over" a pool like the other rides. Instead it is a long downhill trough that ends much lower in the ground than the starting origin point. Because of this, a seperate water supply source was dug nearby to supply the water pumps with enough water to cycle through the ride.

Did you know that WWC can drain within a minute or two should someone hit the E-stop button on the ride? It only takes whatever time for the water to completely run downhill in the trough. When the pumps shut off, all water in the trough flows to it's lowest point.... and back into the nearby pond.

Shaggy

I am sure that the fountain's water comes from the park's main water source just like Congo and the waterpark. They are simply tapped into Mason's water main. The fountains have a recirculating/filtering pump located in the room under the International Street Bandstand. The fountains are simply treated like a large swimming pool.

How do I know all of this? Just little things I observe and have picked up over the years. None of it is really "insider" info, and all is pretty much observable when you spend a lot of time at the park.

Shaggy