Hands up illegal on coasters!

TheKlockster

The park rules ask that you keep them down. Now I know that at Cedar Point - hands up is forbidden. So maybe hands down isnt explicitly stated. I know for a fact that it is on Beast however...

Is hight-fiving a guy in the other train on Gemini illegal? 'cause I have...

1 point for disregarding my personal safety.

Yes, your hands are outside of the car.

The park rules ask that you keep them down. Now I know that at Cedar Point - hands up is forbidden. So maybe hands down isnt explicitly stated. I know for a fact that it is on Beast however...

Is hight-fiving a guy in the other train on Gemini illegal? 'cause I have...

1 point for disregarding my personal safety.

Yes, your hands are outside of the car.

BLAST!

Yeah you guys all have a point. They show hands up on that photo at PKI.com - and like I said earlier - at a PKI film shoot - we were told by a senior rides official that we could have hands up or down - it was our decision. So that means the no hands thing must be under part A and not part B of ORC 1711.551.

I only put my hands up on wood coasters - and I don't even do it all the time. Like if I am feeling energetic - I do it. It takes ALOT of effort to keep your hands up in the bottom of the rosebowl on SOB... I usually keep them up on Beast - except for at that PKI film shoot. I only held them up for about 6 of the 11 rides I did...

• 1 month later...

actually its always been like that because i remeber the first time i rode The Beast when i was 11 back in the summer of 2000 and when we were almost to the top of the first drop , it said "keep hands down" something like that. i think it makes alot of since because you may never know if you raise your hands in the air and you easily fall out of your seat. so yeah i agree with the law. biggrin.gif

Uh, no.

As was said earlier in this thread, and a friend of mine had the cuts to prove it, riders of The Beast, especially on the left side, CAN reach the tunnel roof and sides...and get badly hurt. At the time, he was all of about 5 foot, 8 inches...too.

That warning is not on their for comic effect. It is real. And under Ohio State Law, misobeying it is evidence of negligence. Not to mention stupid.

The Beast was built before such arm reach tests were standard. The posted and verbalized warnings are supposed to be followed, as it is common sense, and the law. If you hurt your hands on The Beast, it is your fault because you did not follow the verbalized and posted warnings, and technically, you would be in violation of the law.

The Beast was built before such arm reach tests were standard. The posted and verbalized warnings are supposed to be followed, as it is common sense, and the law. If you hurt your hands on The Beast, it is your fault because you did not follow the verbalized and posted warnings, and technically, you would be in violation of the law.

Being a claims rep, it would be difficult to imagine that the park or any park would put themselves into this type of situation.

Yes, the injuries sustained would be as a result of actions taken by the plaintiff but if it is an action that is normal and customary, the park would be on it for liability.

The Beast was built before such arm reach tests were standard.  The posted and verbalized warnings are supposed to be followed, as it is common sense, and the law.  If you hurt your hands on The Beast, it is your fault because you did not follow the verbalized and posted warnings, and technically, you would be in violation of the law.

Being a claims rep, it would be difficult to imagine that the park or any park would put themselves into this type of situation.

Yes, the injuries sustained would be as a result of actions taken by the plaintiff but if it is an action that is normal and customary, the park would be on it for liability.

You're absolutely right. It would make for a very interesting court case. One one side, having your hands up is customary, but on the other side, there are clear signs asking you to keep your hands down.

I think the park would easily win since it has warning signs. It is scary though knowing, if you wanted to, you could touch the tunnel wall. Almost every time I ride Racer I reach out and tap the railing on the turnaround. The time I get a splinter though will be the last.

I think the park would easily win since it has warning signs. It is scary though knowing, if you wanted to, you could touch the tunnel wall. Almost every time I ride Racer I reach out and tap the railing on the turnaround. The time I get a splinter though will be the last.

Just FYI

The park would not win that type of action. The action would settle long before it went to court and corrections and changes would be forced.

I do this on a daily basis - in fact, I'm doing that type of thing right now. <G>

Well, maybe yes and maybe no. It would depend on the circumstances. For instance, is the claimant a 40 year old safety attorney or a 14 year old kid who had never ridden a coaster? Does the claimant have a history of other claims, particularly against parks? How bad was the injury? What is the prognosis? How much publicity was there?

As a rule of thumb, there is no rule of thumb!

Well, maybe yes and maybe no. It would depend on the circumstances. For instance, is the claimant a 40 year old safety attorney or a 14 year old kid who had never ridden a coaster? Does the claimant have a history of other claims, particularly against parks? How bad was the injury? What is the prognosis? How much publicity was there?

As a rule of thumb, there is no rule of thumb!

Actually there is.

Give me or any personal injury rep a senario and 9 times out of 10, we will be able to give you a range that any claim will settle for.

By the way, the plaintiff would much rather prefer to have a 14 year old than to have the 40 year old. <G>

Of course with the 14 year old, the probate court would need to approve any settlement.

I would imagine that Paramount Parks settles a lot of cases about injuries on rides, so that they don`t have to have a trial over compensation. I would imagine that they try and keep it as hush hush as possible, so that negative publicity about the park or any of its rides is kept to a minimum to protect its bottom line. And the best way to prevent injuried on rides from occurring in the first place is to enforce the safety rules and regulations.

I would imagine that Paramount Parks settles a lot of cases about injuries on rides, so that they don`t have to have a trial over compensation. I would imagine that they try and keep it as hush hush as possible, so that negative publicity about the park or any of its rides is kept to a minimum to protect its bottom line. And the best way to prevent injuried on rides from occurring in the first place is to enforce the safety rules and regulations.

Actually, what would happen is that a claim would be made with the company that handles insurance for the parks. I'm actually not sure who handles their insurance. The park likely does not become involved in very many of the claims.

I'd venture to say that almost nothing actually goes to trial.