Another Mention of the Impending Sale

The Interpreter

The potential sales of smaller CBS units could also help the company, allowing it to focus on those with the best growth prospects. To that end, CBS chief executive officer Leslie Moonves has already said that the company is shopping its Paramount Parks unit. There is also speculation that the company may sell its Simon & Schuster book division.

from: http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/17/news/companies/cbs/

Under the "Old" media out of favor section of the article....

Shopping, by the way, means taking bids from suitors, then deciding on the best (normally, but not always the highest) one...

Well, I don`t think that they are publicly going to elaborate on who they are shopping the parks to. But I would imagin that they have had talks with several groups, with some potential buyers. It wouldn`t surprise me if they had two or three companies selected that are interested in buyinh the parks.

I hope Blackstone buys it! Or someone who will make the parks kick ass! You people proficient in business are probably right - a company will buy it - increase value for as little investment as possible then sell it. But hopefully the company who buys it this time - or buys it next time from the company that buys it this time - will manage it well and produce some awesome parks.

There is always an interested buyer on the market when they make it known that they are in the process of selling something. It's true for any big business. They are not going to simply release the info to the media with no potential buyers in mind... The media is not a giant classified ad for amusement parks - or any business for that matter... When it was said the parks were probably going to be sold, I would not be suprised if they had several offers on the table. It's a possibility that the parks may have already been sold as well. We will probably not know for a few months regardless.

If there is always an interested buyer, someone forgot to tell a Mr. Burke that at Six Flags.

Ah, the price.

That's the rub. Mr. Sumner Redstone controls Vicaom and CBS Corporation through his controlling interest in National Amusements. He will either get his price, or he will be keeping the parks. . . Sumner's like that. . .

Would probably explain the reason why none of the parks had any major capital improvements this year, either.

I'm guessing that when NU was originally proposed that it was to look quite different than it has actually come to bear.

I'd love to have viewed the original concept plans as compared to what they actually did.

I agree. I think NU was being planned to be something more than what they end up getting to build. It would be fun to see the original plans and compare them to the final product. I still think from what I have read on the web that their were drawings of NU and their plans have changed enough that they could not release them.

Actually that's very poor business.

The idea to the marketing is to under sell it and provide more than expected.

People should always say "WOW, I Never Expected That!" Rather Than "Oh, What A Shame."

I have been saying what "Oh, What A Shame for some time. Well my sister really liked IJSC and she does not ride many coasters. A new reason to goto Kings Island for me.

No one is saying PKI puts in bad attractions...quite the contrary. It's just that their pre-opening marketing tries to build them into things they aren't. There's no reason for the constant (and not very accurate) hyberbole.

And, I wouldn't say every park does it...I pretty much know exactly what to expect from each new attraction at Cedar Point from the way their marketing describes it. I have a pretty good idea exactly what Sky Hawk is going to be like. Will it be the most "incredible, spectacular, Hollywood-ized" attraction ever to grace the Midwest? Nope, but they don't promise it will be...

Even Six Flags does a pretty good job of accurately representing new attractions pre-opening. Of course, whether they're actually working and staffed when you get there is another issue... wink.gif (So, I guess if I had to choose between that and overhype...I'll live with the overhype biggrin.gif )