Wild Animal Habitat

marlfox_21

Actually, it was Roy Disney who told the people at Taft when they were planning the park to figure out how much land you will need and then buy five times the amount. That led to them buying 1,600 acres of land. However, today the park only owns about 750 acres. Of which the theme park sits on about 365 acres. Part of their property down by the Little Miami River is, I believe, a protected wildlife sanctuary, so they most likely will never build anything close to the river. That and the Little Miami is a state and national scenic river places some restrictions on what is built around the river.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work at Paramount's Kings Island back when I was in High School. I worked at the park from 1995-97. And I remember what a sad loss it was to lose the Wild Animal Habitat. I was even taught about their high success rate in college.

Now, that all of this school work is behind me, I am a keeper an Disney's Animal Kingdom. And its true. Parks need to be original to draw in a crowd. And Animal Kingdom seems to draw in a crowd all it's own. People are so devoted to the field that a park like this covers that they will come and see it over and over again in much the same way that people will ride a roller coaster over and over again.

I would LOVE to see a zoological facility come back to Kings Island. And I think a lot of other people would too. Its a proven spot to attract a crowd and to co-exist with the Cincinnati Zoo. ( Which I also volunteered at as an educator during college) If I'm not mistaken, if you go back to the Center for Research of Endangered Wildlife C.R.E.W. at the Cincinnati Zoo, you will also find plaques honoring the accomplishments of Kings Islands Wild Animal Habitat. It's not impossible, and it would be a massive accomplishment for the field.

Thanks for the post.

I don't think some of the younger folk completly understand what the true value of WAH was at Kings Island.

I for one would love to have the WAH back because it would add more of a family and all around theme park atmosphere. Kind of like a Busch Gardens.

For a short time WAH actually had a theater as well. They ran several animal involved shows.

You sure you're not thinking of the Timberwolf? I saw a bird show there when I was in grade school.

Now, that all of this school work is behind me, I am a keeper an Disney's Animal Kingdom. And its true. Parks need to be original to draw in a crowd. And Animal Kingdom seems to draw in a crowd all it's own. People are so devoted to the field that a park like this covers that they will come and see it over and over again in much the same way that people will ride a roller coaster over and over again.

I would LOVE to see a zoological facility come back to Kings Island. And I think a lot of other people would too. Its a proven spot to attract a crowd and to co-exist with the Cincinnati Zoo. ( Which I also volunteered at as an educator during college) If I'm not mistaken, if you go back to the Center for Research of Endangered Wildlife C.R.E.W. at the Cincinnati Zoo, you will also find plaques honoring the accomplishments of Kings Islands Wild Animal Habitat. It's not impossible, and it would be a massive accomplishment for the field.

Since you seem to be the most qualified to answer this question, can you confirm or deny that it would be almost impossible for PKI to get the animals back since they removed them in the past, as stated above?

Yeah, were you lucky enough to ride the Shooting Star?

Do you remember the contest to name the theme park that was going to replace Coney Island? Something up in Kings Mills, Ohio?

Nope - Can't go back that far!

I was a wee tott then.

I remember when the park opened that they had the white lights strung through all the trees on International Street and up to the big bubble theater. Dang, I don't remember what that was called, though.

I remember the daily air show where the BI Planes would do dog fights over the park and the parashoot jumpers that would land at the front of International Street. Then almost every day during the summer they would send the Kings Island Hot Air Balloon up to float over the park and the rest of Mason.

Too many parks, too many histories....

But I think it was called Cinema 180. I know I saw many things while lying in that floor looking up. We thought it was the neatest thing!

I also don't think it went in until like 1986 or so...

That's It!

Oh, I remember that!

For some reason I just thought it was the neatest thing because it was a giant bubble and it had doors on it. LOL - Jeesh, Kids!

Too many parks, too many histories....

But I think it was called Cinema 180.  I know I saw many things while lying in that floor looking up.  We thought it was the neatest thing!

I also don't think it went in until like 1986 or so...

That's It!

Oh, I remember that!

For some reason I just thought it was the neatest thing because it was a giant bubble and it had doors on it. LOL - Jeesh, Kids!

To this day, Cinema 180 is the only "ride" that has ever made me sick!

On an 8th grade trip I came out of there, ran into the bathroom at the end of Coney Mall, and threw-up like there was no tomorrow. biggrin.gif

On an 8th grade trip I came out of there, ran into the bathroom at the end of Coney Mall, and threw-up like there was no tomorrow. biggrin.gif

Jzarley this was a different theater. In between the tower, Bier Gardens and the Carousel. Very similar to what you're talking about but was much bigger.

On an 8th grade trip I came out of there, ran into the bathroom at the end of Coney Mall, and threw-up like there was no tomorrow.  biggrin.gif

Jzarley this was a different theater. In between the tower, Bier Gardens and the Carousel. Very similar to what you're talking about but was much bigger.

Not the one on Coney Mall? I don't remember that one, then... Was it sort of in the same area as the "Rotor"? (Another classic that I absolutely loved.)

Not the one on Coney Mall? I don't remember that one, then... Was it sort of in the same area as the "Rotor"? (Another classic that I absolutely loved.)

It kinda straddled International Street, Coney Mall and Bier Gardens. Tower Gardens was created when that theater was removed.

Fun Fact: Kings Island hosted the Renaisance Festival in Tower Gardens. (This of course was prior to it being based in Harveysburg.)

Yeah, there was a theater on the current location of the Paramount Story (formerly Tower Garends). The theater was a pnuematic structure (a balloon type structure) and it was a bright orange color. It was originally, I believe, the location where Sid and Marty Kroft performed their marrianette puppet shows. The theater can be seen briefly in the Brady Bunch episode. I haven`t been able to locate any images on the web that have this theater in it.

Ok...so, I'm confused. Did the former theater on the site of the Tower Gardens show "simulator" ceiling films as well? (Because, that's what I was originally responding to...Interpretor's comments on the realism of Cinema 180's films.) So, we may be talking about multiple things.

I vaguely remember the Sid & Marty Kroft shows in the park...even as a child I found the Kroft characters really creepy. I saw an old episode several months ago (the series with "Witchy Poo"--whatever that one was), and I find them even creepier as an adult! biggrin.gif

I don`t know what shows they had in the Kings Island theater. I know that for the first couple of seasons they had the puppet show. They might have put in another show, such as one of the simulator films. I may be wrong but the theater building was destroyed by heavy snow, causing the pnuematic structure to collapse.

I don`t know what shows they had in the Kings Island theater. I know that for the first couple of seasons they had the puppet show. They might have put in another show, such as one of the simulator films. I may be wrong but the theater building was destroyed by heavy snow, causing the pnuematic structure to collapse.

That's actually something that I did not know about why it was closed.

I figured that it closed when they opened the American Herritage Music Hall.

American Herritage was specifically designed to present broadway style performances. It was more was more adapted for doing major productions than the International Showplace.

But, I actually prefer International Showplace for shows.

^Im pretty sure they did, or was it removed for that giant squirt gun game? That area needs to be cleaned up, Vortex and Action Theatre look nice but even Action theatre could use a little TLC, it hasnt looked that good since James Bond was in there and when Days of Thunder was there it looked the best. With the cars and the vehicle used to film the movie on the grass throughout the que line. I think Eurobungee and that squirt gun game need to go and some new flat needs to go there with a 1950's Buck rogers space adventure type theme to compliment the Happy Days Diner.

^Im pretty sure they did, or was it removed for that giant squirt gun game? That area needs to be cleaned up, Vortex and Action Theatre look nice but even Action theatre could use a little TLC, it hasnt looked that good since James Bond was in there and when Days of Thunder was there it looked the best. With the cars and the vehicle used to film the movie on the grass throughout the que line. I think Eurobungee and that squirt gun game need to go and some new flat needs to go there with a 1950's Buck rogers space adventure type theme to compliment the Happy Days Diner.

I remember Cinema 180. To this day, it is the only simulator experience that ever made me feel like I was actually where the movie was. Just from sitting on the floor. And to the guy from Animal Kingdom.....Thank you for your input. It is nice to know that other people do feel strongly about the zoo topic. And I might be joining you soon. Representatives from both Disney's Animal Kingdom and from Sea World came to my college to interview the seniors. And I think that my interview went very well. As for Kings Island. Only time will tell what will happen with it. I can only hope that the parks future will be as grand as it's past. I have every intention of visiting Ohio to attend Kings Island for years to come. As for new owners. I hope they have an open ear to new ideas. Rumors about Kings Island are heavy, even down here in the heart of Florida's attractions. M.F.

• 1 month later...
I for one would love to have the WAH back because it would add more of a family and all around theme park atmosphere. Kind of like a Busch Gardens.

I agree 100% no, wait, 200% The Wild Animal Habitat is probably the biggest loss that Kings Island has ever gone through. With the exception of the original slaughtering of Winterfest. Paramount's biggest decisions were at the start of its rule over the park. And these decisions were also among the worst for the park. EVER! In the first few years alone, Paramount destroyed almost all of the unique values that Kings Island contained. And they took a very pleasant family atmosphere ( almost like Wild Adventures in Valdosta Georgia ) and made it into some crummy commercial. A giant commercial that you had to walk through.

wacko.gif