PKI vs. CP

Knoxville

Well kids, once again someone has opened the flood gates on which is better. And it's obvious what most people will say, CP is better. Why does half this site think that? Because half this site are the same people every year who whine about PKI trying to do something different or out of the box, instead of a coaster. If you rank parks based solely on coasters, then CP is going to come out on top. As for ride numbers, CP is 100+ years older than PKI, WTF do you expect? CP has nothing like The Beast. They don't(along with every other seasonal amusement park)have anything like TR:TR, or any coaster with theming like FOF. And they have nothing like SDATHC. CP just keeps building coasters, and eventually, they're going to run out of land, or the GP will get tired of "the tallest fastest coaster!!!!"coming around every other year. And yes, I consider TTD a lame excuse of a ride, but a great example of a one trick pony. Anyways, CP's great for coasters, but they throw all their eggs in one basket. PKI has diversified, and has turned themselves into an incredibly well rounded park. The icing on PKI's cake is the theming. CP has nothing like International Street, or the Eiffel Tower. And CP may have more kids rides, but Nick Central and Hanna-Barbera Land are way better than their kids area, and once again, feature tons of theming. PKI isn't as good foodwise, but we do have Skyline and Larosa's which really tie it in to Cincinnati, and I think gives the park some more personality. And of course, you forget PKI's biggest advantage over CP, Boomerang Bay. It's a massive, and well themed, water park, and it's free! Plus, PKI's flatrides are awesome, look at Delirium and Drop Zone. Even if CP has more flats, I doubt they have anything like Delirium. Add in the fact that PKI has thousands of movie licenses and a huge company with a deep pocket behind them, and you've got something that in 10 years will be the big boy on the block.

RyanA

Who doesn't dislike CP, but prefers PKI

Nothing new about this debate, but here goes....

PKI is perhaps one of my favorite parks, anywhere, PERIOD. Its not just "home park syndrome" that influences this opinion for me, it is experience.....there are only a handful of major parks left in the USA that I haven't been to yet. I think it has been said before that PKI is a well rounded Park. They truly do have a great balance of attractions, especially now that rides like Tomb Raider and Delirium are here.

Cedar Point offers a completely different experience as far as I'm concerned. They have a fairly typical assortment of flat rides, nothing really sets it apart. OK, they have 16 coasters. Everyone always focuses on the quantity.....I prefer to look at quality. For me, there are only about 3 of those coasters that I would consider top tier. Millennium Force, Raptor, and Magnum. Dragster was fun, but quite honestly I found it to be somewhat dull. So the 4 rides I just mentioned definitely are above anything KI offers. The other 12 coasters? I feel they are on about the same level as PKI's, with some of PKI's definitely taking the upperhand.

While Cedar Point certainly has an impressive skyline, most of the coasters are average or below average if ya really look at the big picture. PKI has a few great coasters, with the rest being average as far as I'm concerned. I think my perspective is this.....whats REALLY the difference? I think it was Charles that made the comment about being lucky to live in Ohio. I gotta agree, we've got some fantastic coasters here, go enjoy them all instead of whining here about PKI's lack of a 300 foot coaster.

Oh, btw, someone posted that Dragster's problems had been corrected and that the ride was operating properly. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I understand its been down more than up so far this season.....complete with lots of roll backs and other fun issues.

- Todd, who's #1 coaster isn't even in Ohio......Superman @ Six Flags New England anyone?

I thinks it really hard to compare the parks everyyear I have choice to make I can go to CP for 2 weeks or IOA&Disney for 2 weeks I always pick Ioa&Disney why because of the themes at those parks plus I like getting my picture with the characters.

I like CP but they really dont have anything like PKI does they dont have The Beast & TR:TR...or anything themed like SDATHC! PKI is awsome because they really put the details in on HBL and Nick Central CP doesnt have a golden ticket for best kids areas PKI does and they totally deserve it the themes in those 2 kiddie lands kick butt.

After awhile you get sick of staring at those coasters allday you need a nice flat ride to clam yourself down...Iam a HUGE coaster fan but looking at them all day gets boring plus I hate taking my nephew up to cp they have NOTHING for kids!

I for one dont care what PKI gets for 2005 I know it will be something great I love to spend my OFF time at PKI.

Oh, btw, someone posted that Dragster's problems had been corrected and that the ride was operating properly. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I understand its been down more than up so far this season.....complete with lots of roll backs and other fun issues.

Yes, but it is the beginning of the season and it has to have time to warm up, not unlike the coasters at PKI. From what I understand, SOB and some of the others are having problems as well, which can all be attributed to the fact that they have not run on a regular basis. And, the major problems Dragster had last year were fixed. Who said rollbacks were a problem anyway? This is not a malfunction of that coaster. There's even a sign in line that warns you that you may in fact have a rollback. At least you can be relaunched. If you have a valley or rollback on any coaster at PKI, it has to be shut down, whereas Dragster can still operate without closing.

Oh, btw, someone posted that Dragster's problems had been corrected and that the ride was operating properly. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I understand its been down more than up so far this season.....complete with lots of roll backs and other fun issues. [\QUOTE]

Some believe that comparing the parks is right, and others believe that it is wrong. Personally, I love both parks and get season passes to both as well. CP is 2.5 hours, and PKI is 5 hours drive time, and both parks offer a variety of different rides, as well as comparable rides. Well worth my drive for both. It is just based on one's personal opinion. I just try to have an open mind when it comes to both parks. For the longest time, KI was much better than CP, but it was around '89, when Paramount took over, that CP was the preferred park. I consider PKI vs. CP like the Browns vs. the Bengals. I am a die-hard Browns fan, yet if the Bungals made the playoffs, and the Browns did not, I would cheer for Cincy. Yes, I do like CP better than PKI for some "little" reasons: I can go back to my hotel room and take a shower after being on the water rides, I can put my kids down for a afternoon nap, and sit on a balcony overlooking Lake Erie, sit down a restaurant and have food service, ERT when I stay in one of the hotels, less wait time in line since there are more rides to choose from etc.

Just some little tidbits...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the only major problem is the Dragster is having rollbacks, and it takes 10-15 minutes to reset the system. According to Monty Jasper, who I met for the first time on opening day, the cold weather reeks havoc on TTD, and being on a peninsula on Lake Erie, where the water temp is still around 55 degrees, the breeze from the north can be chilly. Other than that, there have been minor problems that accompany the start-up of a new year. I have been there 3 times already, and TTD has been running everyday with the max waiting time of 2.5 hrs. (opening day).

Yeah, they're both great parks, but they're different breeds. If your main goal at an amusement park is to ride coasters, CP's the ticket, if you want alot of diverse attractions and theming, PKI is your best bet. I personally think one of the reasons PKI has fallen behind CP is the removal of the Wild Animal Safari. I mean think about this, PKI had every genre of ride in the park at one time. Of course thats not to say that 10 or 20 years down the line(yes, I think we won't see it happening anytime soon)that the park may rebuild it on some new grounds. But what I really want to see PKI do right now is lock in that deal with that hotel company, though it's unlikely it will happen, I personally find it to be something PKI seriously needs. Of course, once again, a hotel could be built far along down the line as well.