Gold Pass questions

Monkey Joe

Hi Everybody,

I am thinking about getting a gold pass for my brother's 30th birthday and will proably get one for me and my sisters as well. Before I buy the passes, I have some questions for gold pass holders. My family has never had a season pass before.

1. This year, are there going to be discount on selected foods and beverages?

2. Are there Store discounts?

3. Any other benefits?

4. Can I use the pass at other Paramount parks?

5. Do you that it's worth it?

Thank you for your time,

Monkey Joe

The benefits are not posted on the park's website yet, but here's what I can tell you:

There are pleanty of benefits to having a Gold Pass. They usually include Walk on Weekends (like Disney's FastPass, kind of), ERTs and early entry to various parts of the park, and many other things.

You can also get into Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, and Great America at no extra charge.

It is very worth it, in my opinion. I only visited the park seven times last season (live in central Indiana) and still consider the pass to be highly worth it!

Here's a link to Kings Dominion's pass perks:

http://www1.paramountparks.com/kingsdomini...ecial/passinfo/

They are sure to vary slightly from PKI's once ours are posted, but they give you a good idea about how well Gold Passers are treated!

Let me sum this up:

1. This year, are there going to be discount on selected foods and beverages?

Very likely. They have some sort of family meal discount which is dynamic every month. It's not really a "10%" off deal usually, but it's usually like "1 Large Pizza, 4 Salads, 4 20oz drinks for 24.99" or whatever.

2. Are there Store discounts?

I don't recall there being any store discounts in the past. If you want the really good deals, swing by during the last operating weekend and you can get things up to 70% off in some cases.

3. Any other benefits?

There are several benefits. Some have been listed above, which include walk on weekends, exclusive ride times on some rides, and exclusive events such as the "Gold Pass Meal Deal" in the International Restaurant which they hosted during Nights of Fire a few years ago.

4. Can I use the pass at other Paramount parks?

You pass will be valid at all Paramount Parks, but that does not include the Vegas Star Trek Experience.

5. Do you that it's worth it?

Definitely. A gold pass pays itself off quickly and really anything is possible at PKI. That's the beauty of the place... never a dull moment. Plus, all you really have to do is buy the passes early and get the gold upgrade for free.

To correct something stated above, you only get free parking if you buy your pass and have it processed before the end of the previous year, so you're out of luck for the 06 season, but if you choose to renew for 07, make sure you have your new pass processed before the park closes for the 2006 season to get free parking.

Well, what the policy will be for parking for 2oo7 is, to be fair, quite undetermined. It may or may not be the same policy as in the past. After all, we don't even know who will own the park by August. It may be CBS Corporation, it may not. And a new owner may not even sell passes, for that matter. Probably will, but one never knows.

There is a minority theory in the industry that more money could be made by abolishing passes and lowering daily admission to, say, $19.95 with free parking. NO discounts to anyone, the same low price for all, per day. Shorter lines, more guests paying closer to the admission price, etc.

Another group would abolish pay one price and go back to pay by the ride. In some ways, that is already happening, what with QBots, upcharge attractions, premium access (VIP tours), etc.

Well, what the policy will be for parking for 2oo7 is, to be fair, quite undetermined. It may or may not be the same policy as in the past. After all, we don't even know who will own the park by August. It may be CBS Corporation, it may not. And a new owner may not even sell passes, for that matter. Probably will, but one never knows.

Kennywood doesn't sell passes and their park has attendance issues. It's no so much because of the theory listed above, but rather because West Miff isn't exactly the type of city where you'd want the local residents hanging around the park all the time.

I don`t know. However. I will throw in this. When I started at Coney in 2002, they sold both individual ride tickets as well as a POP ride bracelet. Individual tickets were 50 cents a piece and rides required between 2 and 4 tickets (with pedal boats requiring six tickets per boat). In 2004, they abolished the individual ride tickets and went strictly to a POP wristband. How has that worked? Well, over the 4th of July week last year the record was broken for most POP rides bracelets (post Kings Island- Coney).

for PKI in particular, getting rid of passes would be a travesty and a terrible business idea. We get most of our business from pass holders. Most of our traffic is the local community with these passes. We all know that there's not much else to do in the Ohio area, except visit the park... The park has one of the highest amount of season pass visitors in the industry. What I mean is, we have a very large percentage of our 3 million or so visitors a year from passes. I don't remember the exact percentage, but it's significant.

Back towards the real quesiton at hand, yes, a gold pass is worth it. You have to like the walk on perks and everything else. I'd go gold, if I didn't work there...

There is only a parking fee for Kennywood if you want to park very, very close to the entrance. Spaces as far away as the season pass parking lot is at KI are free....

From their website: PARKING: Preferred parking is $5 per vehicle. Free parking is also available. Handicap parking is near the front gate. (A handicapped entrance is available at Gate 2, except during Fall Fantasy Parade Days.)

Who knows. With the way things are going with updating the Paramount Park sites with season pass perks, we probably won't know any benefits until a couple days before opening.

Carowinds opens Saturday and their pass benefits were put online at the end of this past week.

You mean the sneak preview weekend for all pass holders? The park has not released any perks for pass holders yet. However, on the flash animation on the PKI website promoting the gold pass and a "special sneak preview for the all new Nickelodeon Universe." Most likely this will end up being the weekend before when they have "dry run" day. That is the day that they run things for the first times, and is meant as a day for employees to get a feel for their job before the park officially opens to the public. Employees recieve tickets for their friends and family to visit the park on these dry run days. I haven`t heard anything official with regards to a season pass holder weekend the weekend before the official opening day on Friday, April 14th.

I've just received an email from Frank Meyer, the season pass guru at the park stating the following:

Thanks very much for your interest in our Season Pass events.  While we do not have an exclusive Season Passholder sneak preview event this season, our season passholders are absolutely welcome and encouraged to attend our opening weekend.  We will be open Friday, April 14 – Monday, April 17 from 10am until 8pm.  We do however have the exclusive VIP Passholder only preview of Crocodile Dundee’s Boomerang Bay on Saturday and Sunday, May 20th and 21st.  We will have additional details and an updated calendar of the season pass perks in the coming weeks.  Thanks and see you at the park!

For one, PKI is the only Park with a four day long opening weekend, and being Easter weekend, some days may not be as busy. Second, only two Parks that I can see have a Pass holders event: Canada's Wonderland and Kings Dominion. On PCW's grand opening weekend, they are only ever open for the Sunday to the public, while the Saturday is always reserved for various private bookings. So they have a Pass holder event in the evening on the Frida. PKD's is a week after they open on a Monday.

I really don't think cost cutting has anything to do with it. Think about it, they are opening for four days. If they wanted to cut costs, it would make more sense to eliminate some of those days, just because obviously it is a holiday weekend.