Dirt Clearing?

MrPKI

I was looking at PKI on Windows Live Local today, and came across this clearing of dirt between Racer's turnaround and Beast's break shed. I believe this picture was taken during late '03 to early '04 since BB is still under construction.

Link (You may have to move the map screen to see it.)

So I wondered if this is something that is already built back there, or something they use for Fearfest or what? Any help would be appreciated. smile.gif

Anyway they could have launched the fireworks from some where else they just like to waste money making things like this. Why not just close off FOF 30 minutes early and use the old helipad to launch the fireworks from.

Actually they cant just launch the fireworks from "just anyplace" They cleared this area specifically for Nights Of Fire because of it's location. In order for the fireworks to be placed in the right location across the skyline this is the site they need to be launched from. Also do to the size of the shells that they use for this show, they had to place all new firing racks as well as dig mortor tubes into the ground......trust me, a lot of reasons and thought went into where they placed this launch site.

Well, I believe that the clearing that is being spoken about has existed before they started Nights of Fire. Granted, they probably used it because of its location, but I don`t think that the original clearing was created for use as a fireworks launching area. I believe that the area is used as a dumping ground for miscellaneous dirt wastes. (Ie unused dirt from various projects around the park). Also, there has been, at least in the past, a dumpster sitting in the clearing.

Well, considering that PKI is on the site of the former Kings Mills Ordnance Works....how do you know this information and how long have you known it?

They have ways of making you talk, harvestofyoursorrow, you know! tongue.gif

Actually the munitions factory is located up the river, still standing.........somewhat.

Well, considering that PKI is on the site of the former Kings Mills Ordnance Works....how do you know this information and how long have you known it?

They have ways of making you talk, harvestofyoursorrow, you know!  tongue.gif

Actually the munitions factory is located up the river, still standing.........somewhat.

He's right... the Kings Powder Co. is up the river actually in the city of Kings Mills. It's closer to Kings High School (hence the lead problem they had in the football field).

Below you will find a photo of the old plant. Since we're on the subject, if you are anywhere near the plant feel free to drive by or even take a stroll down the bike path the runs right next to it, but do not attempt to enter the property. Obviously it's a good way to get arrested, but when it comes down to it, it's VERY dangerous in there and no one needs to get hurt. If you really want to see photos of the inside, click here.

post-2-1142495363.jpg

Yes, that part of the factory is still there, and yes, it is a good way to get arrested if you enter that site without permission.

But, the park itself is also on former Kings Mills Ordnance Works property. That's one reason such a large parcel of property was still available for development in the late Sixties, early Seventies. Most of the land around the park was vacant back then, but it had been subdivided into smaller parcels already, for the most part.

And before someone asks, the P on the tower on that building did not stand for Paramount! tongue.gif

Below you will find a photo of the old plant. Since we're on the subject, if you are anywhere near the plant feel free to drive by or even take a stroll down the bike path the runs right next to it, but do not attempt to enter the property. Obviously it's a good way to get arrested, but when it comes down to it, it's VERY dangerous in there and no one needs to get hurt. If you really want to see photos of the inside, click here.

What a great building.

That is a building that should be rehabed and turned into condo's or shops or a combination of both.

Below you will find a photo of the old plant.  Since we're on the subject, if you are anywhere near the plant feel free to drive by or even take a stroll down the bike path the runs right next to it, but do not attempt to enter the property.  Obviously it's a good way to get arrested, but when it comes down to it, it's VERY dangerous in there and no one needs to get hurt.  If you really want to see photos of the inside, click here.

What a great building.

That is a building that should be rehabed and turned into condo's or shops or a combination of both.

Some parts of the building are actually rented out for storage. I go up there all the time (although never go into the building b/c of all the clearly marked "DO NOT ENTER" and "NO TRESPASSING" signs). You'll see cops sit up there all the time too. Plus, its right next to the enterance of the little Miami River Bike Trail which Buddah mentions.

Speaking of Dirt Clearings, PKI hasn't given us a NU update since Fubruary 28th.

Maureen's been out of town.

Job hunting?

Another sign of park sale?

No, nothing like that at all.

And before someone asks, the P on the tower on that building did not stand for Paramount!

The 'P' on the building was the symbol for the Peter's Cartridge Company, which also still has their name engraved over the entrance.

And before someone asks, the P on the tower on that building did not stand for Paramount!

The 'P' on the building was the symbol for the Peter's Cartridge Company, which also still has their name engraved over the entrance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the P on the tower is done in tiles too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the P on the tower is done in tiles too.

If I remember correctly (which I may not) I think it's a metallic P that's mounted to the smoke stack.