Train Backwards ?

TOPGUN1993

Did the Train ever run Backwards on the track. I mean the other way that what it is know?

http://www.pkicentral.com/parkinfo/history...com&cat=0&pos=6

And on my 1982 PKI map the train is going the same way as in the picture.

I've seen it push backwards and I've seen both engines run at the same time on the track.

I'm not sure what you mean run backwards though?

Why back I don't think they had gates up around the lake. I know they changed the track with WWC and Water Works so that might be why it looks different. Also sure the train can head other way Cedar Point did it all the time before they added MF in 2000.

Why back I don't think they had gates up around the lake. I know they changed the track with WWC and Water Works so that might be why it looks different. Also sure the train can head other way Cedar Point did it all the time before they added MF in 2000.

The track wasn't really changed a lot with Waterworks or WWC. Primarily, the station was just built to allow entrance and exit at Waterworks and bridges for WWC.

Yes, the train can go backwards. At the end of the night, they back the train into the train shed. A little train information, when you hear three whistles from the train that means it is backing up. In the evenings at closing times, you can hear three whistles as opposed to the normal two which signifies the train is leaving (in the forward direction).

Yes, the train can go backwards. At the end of the night, they back the train into the train shed. A little train information, when you hear three whistles from the train that means it is backing up. In the evenings at closing times, you can hear three whistles as opposed to the normal two which signifies the train is leaving (in the forward direction).

Coaster, that's something that I did not know.

And as far as the train breaking down, they always have been very well maintained.

Yeah. The engineering crew takes good care of those things. Over on this site, you can learn a little bit more about Kings Island`s crown engines. (Scroll down a little bit until it talks about the #12 Tecumseh and #17 Simon Kenton, now renamed the Lew Brown and Kenny Van Meter).

Yes, Paramount`s Kings Island`s steam trains are in fact the only steam trains remaining at all the Paramount Parks. They run on propane, which if you go to that website I mentioned above, cost the park $174 per ten hour day, per train, in 1984 dollars!!

I believe PKI's trains are the only Paramount Park trains that arent run on diesel fuel.

Only full size trains left in Parmount Parks. How sad hope the new owners keep it going.

You know, I thought at one point that for certain the Antique Cars would never be taken out. We all have seen what happened there. I'd say that if an owner than had little respect for history, the train could be gone.

Yes there is. It would be a sad day when KI decides to remove the classic train though. However, between White Water canyon, the log flume, Boomerang Bay and the picnic grove, there isn`t a clear cut way to get back to the undeveloped land. Unless they removed the picnic grove, which I simply don`t see happenings. Yes they could remove it and free up some space behind WWC, and create some new midways back there, and stranger things have happened.

Guest TombraiderTy

I'm not sure what you mean by trains running backwards, but if you mean that they once traveled in the opposite dirrection, that is true. The last year for the trains to travel counter-clockwise was 2000.

I'm not sure what you mean by trains running backwards, but if you mean that they once traveled in the opposite dirrection, that is true. The last year for the trains to travel counter-clockwise was 2000.

I've never seen the train run counter clockwise.

Your 2000 theory is bogus.

Guest TombraiderTy

I've never seen the train run counter clockwise.

Your 2000 theory is bogus.

Oh really? mad.gif

Look at the 2000 map! No then, your theory that my theory is bogus! mad.gif

Well looking at pki they don't have a round house so turing the train around counter clockwise would have to be for the hole year. Also the maps are wrong alot. If you look at the 1975 you will see 3 trains on the track.

Does anyone know it they will upgrade effects like they did for Winter Fest?

Never go by the maps, they are always filled with those kind of mistakes. It is half the fun of a new season to sit and stare at the maps and find the mistakes, like the train going the wrong direction. To make the train go the other way there would be so many things that would have to be changed. Think about when you sit in the car on the train, there is a rail on your right side so you can't get out of the train. If it was going to other direction, you wouldn't be able to get into the car from the loading station. I don't think that this park would spend the extra money to make the train go the other way! That picutre looks to be taken at WWC up where you got off the train for this past seasons FearFest, and if that is correct then that would be the correct direction for the train to be traveling.

Guest TombraiderTy

It doesn't make sense that a mistake of trains going backwards on a map wouldn't be changed until 29 years after the mistake was made, now does it? tongue.gif

It doesn't make sense that a mistake of trains going backwards on a map wouldn't be changed until 29 years after the mistake was made, now does it? tongue.gif

As said before, the maps always have errors.

For as long as the Ferris Wheel was in the park it was listed in the wrong location.

hat picutre looks to be taken at WWC up where you got off the train for this past seasons FearFest, and if that is correct then that would be the correct direction for the train to be traveling.

That picture was taken where the exit for Tomb Raider The Ride is today. Its the turn right after you leave the station and head back into the woods. When this picture was taken the lake around The Beast was still their and Rivertown was not so built up. So looking at the picture it has to be the late 70's or 1980's.

Rivertown was not so built up? There was Kenton`s Cove Keelboat Canal right next to the train station which opened in 1973. The only attraction that was not there in the late 70`s or early 80`s (if we are talking post Beast construction and opening in `79) was White Water Canyon which opened in 1985.

And no, the train did not run in the reverse direction in 2000. It has always, to my knowledge run in the same direction since it was built in 1972.

And Ryan, would we really want PKI do run the midway along the ride like SFKK? IMO, SFKK has one of the worst park layouts. Imagine the bottlenecks that would occure on the midway if they made it a deadend midway, ala Action Zone.

Does anyone know it they will upgrade effects like they did for Winter Fest?

We actually had a long conversation with Maureen about the White Christmas Express experience at Winterfest. Without going into any real detail, they did surveys about how people felt about the different attractions, and (at least my personal take on the convo) was that people wanted more lights. Take that for what it's worth.

Whatever dry.gif

hahah whatever? theyre right, the train did NOT run in the opposite direction in 2000. I've worked the train and my neighbor is a former mechanic who worked on them, the trains werent going counter clockwise in 2000.

Combat, those guys that worked as Conductors are some of the nicest people that you'd ever want to talk to. Good Neighbor to have.