Drop Rides

flightoffear1996

What do you think is safer Intamin Gryo Drops or S&S Power towers. An example of a gryo drop whould be at Kings Island and Powertower would be the drop ride at Cedar Point.

I would have to say the gryo drop for the main fact it has fail safe breaks unlike S&S power rely on air pressure and if a pump or tube will break during the ride, op you would be sol.

Another morbid poll...

Can't we just enjoy the summer and not add even more fear if a ride is safer than another. If you pay attention to the warning signs, and make sure that you are properly fastened/ buckled in, you have a better chance of being hit by lightning than having a life- threatening incident on ANY ride.

The glass is half full, not half empty...

I think this one is up in the air. What would make one safer over the other? I'm quite sure that Power Tower has some kind of fail safe device like the Drop Zone. I wouldn't assume that if the PT's air pressure failed, you would be screwed. Why would anyone put up one of these towers if that was the case? Answer: No one because parks would not want to risk law suits. BTW, you can't seriously believe that the PT has no backup system in place. I don't think Cedar Point would risk it.

Yes there was a death on a gryo drop at a Paramount park a few years ago. I think it was 2000 when Drop Zone at PKI was closed for awhile while an investigaton was complete. The kid that fell out of the ride had a phycial condition and that is why he fell out.

The kid was too small to ride.

Both rides are perfectly safe if you follow the rules. 'Nuff said.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Personallly, this is not one of the things i think of when riding either drop zone or power town....which one would have the better shot of killing me. With Power Tower and all the other S&S Turbo Drops (launches down) or Space Shots (launches up) i am guessing that if there was a air pressure loss, there is a back up air pressure supply in another pipe that runs up the ride, i doubt its a air pressure fails, sucks to be you senerio. Both rides have not had a fatality by mechinal error to my knowlage. The Drop Zone death was because of worker error, correct me if i am wrong there.

-rctfreak-