Goodbye Hanna-Barbara

pope03

Virtually ALL Six Flags got that ride for their motion theaters this year.

In the past, Paramount would have paid for exclusivity to keep Kentucky Kingdom from getting it. This was done with several of the films that have appeared in the motion theaters. Apparently, this year, no such payment for exclusivity was made, and you see the result...

(This was the reason that so far you have not seen Scooby films or attractions at Six Flags over Georgia, as similar protection was acquired for Carowinds in the past)

The Spongebob film played last year at Six Flags Great Adventure, which is far from any Paramount Park, in New Jersey. Moreover, it played with the additional wqter effects missing from the Paramount versions, and the film was in focus ALL the time.

But the queue theming looked as if it were acquired from the nearest Family Dollar or Dollar General store, which it probably was.

I will miss HBL tremendously! but HB is far from the animation grave yard.

The Things I will miss the most will be

The Characters greeting me and my family

The Hanna-Barbera Go round with Jabber Jaw,Dino,Fred,Scooby,Yogi

The Jetsons Jet Orbiters

The Smurf Ride wink.gif

Gosh...I have no idea if I'm even going to get down to PKI this year...haven't been since 2004...but the idea of not having HBL there...wow....

I first went to PKI in 82 or 83, when I was 3 or 4 years old. And the HBL carousel, the Smurfs ride, the Sunshine Turnpike...we'd spend hours there with my grandparents.

Even now that I'm in my (late) 20s, a stop to PKI always required at least a walk-through of HBL because of the memories it brought back. Even though Nick was creeping more and more into it, it was always at least good to see the HBL carousel with the "Yogi Bear" song playing. . . now no more.

Now, I'm all for the NU expansion. I think it's going to bring in new families to the park and it's probably time to retire the HBL stuff. But still...the think I'm going to miss the most is that carousel music playing the Yogi Bear theme. . . that's weird I know, but still....

How can you say that UncleHenry? You will not miss HBL at all? I sure would rather look at the familiar characters I grew up with rather than the new characters of Nick Universe. Cartoons aren't like they used to be.

Thing is that it's likely that people will know and recognize the HB Characters long after the Nick Shows have come and gone.

The park traded "timeless" for "flash in the pan."

• Like 1

How can you say that UncleHenry? You will not miss HBL at all? I sure would rather look at the familiar characters I grew up with rather than the new characters of Nick Universe. Cartoons aren't like they used to be.

Thing is that it's likely that people will know and recognize the HB Characters long after the Nick Shows have come and gone.

The park traded "timeless" for "flash in the pan."

Except, they're "timeless" to you because you grew up with them. The HB characters have nostalgia with people our age (I'm guessing we're of a similar age), but don't necessarily with older or younger generations. Fifteen years from now, today's ten year olds are going to talk about their "classics" as Spongebob, Nemo, and Fairly Odd Parents, and not see what kids younger than them see in whatever characters will be popular then. (And, all the things we thought were classics will have all the cultural relevance of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit to them <g>)

Plus, why wouldn't Viacom (prior to all the corporate reshuffling, anyway) not want to promote their own characters in their parks instead of Time-Warner's?

Of course, there are some HB characters that are classics that cross generations (Scooby, the Flintstones, and a few others), but there are quite a few others that may have relevance only to a certain generation (i.e., Captain Caveman. or "Dinky Dog"--remember that one?, etc.)

As an FYI, here the top ten "earning" fictional characters in 2004 (the most recent I could find) as calculated by Forbes:

Mickey Mouse & friends - $5.8 billion

Winnie the Pooh & friends - $5.6 billion

Frodo Baggins (Lord of the Rings) - $2.9 billion

Harry Potter - $2.8 billion

Nemo - $2 billion

Yu-gi-oh - $1.6 billion

SpongeBob SquarePants - $1.5 billion

Spider-Man - $1.3 billion

Wolverine (X-Men) - $900 million

Pokemon - $825 million

(FWIW...I don't have a clue what in the world a "Yu-gi-oh" even is! But, somebody obviously does...)

Yes, WE will remember the HB characters because we remember watching them on TV. The thing is, kids today don't watch those shows! THEY will remember the shows, not us. Jeez people, stop thinking that area is for us! It's not! It's for TODAY'S kids. Case in point, I was in HB one day, and some kid was calling Jabberjaw "Kenny the Shark", a cartoon character from TODAY. Kids don't recognize HB characters. Dang people, realize for one second that kids don't watch what we watched anymore.

So, show a ten year-old a picture of Elroy Jetson, Atom Ant, and Patrick the Starfish, and see which one they'll recognize. That's the market they need to reach.

The reason why HB characters are in PKI to begin with (well, other than the fact that Taft owned them, of course...) was because they were the popular characters for little kids in the 70s. It's the same reason Smurfs were added in the 80s (then dumped in the 90s).

And if no one knows who Spongebob is in ten years, so what? They've already proven that the entire area can be redone over an off-season. Then it's remade in the theme of whatever kids' characters are popular in 2016. Afterall, it's a theme park--not a museum smile.gif .

So, show a ten year-old a picture of Elroy Jetson, Atom Ant, and Patrick the Starfish, and see which one they'll recognize. That's the market they need to reach.

The reason why HB characters are in PKI to begin with (well, other than the fact that Taft owned them, of course...) was because they were the popular characters for little kids in the 70s. It's the same reason Smurfs were added in the 80s (then dumped in the 90s).

And if no one knows who Spongebob is in ten years, so what? They've already proven that the entire area can be redone over an off-season. Then it's remade in the theme of whatever kids' characters are popular in 2016. Afterall, it's a theme park--not a museum smile.gif .

How about we show em pics of Scooby Doo, Fred Flintstone, Barney Rubble, George Jetson, Hong Kong Phooey, Smurfs - heck Even Captain Cave Man.

And keep in mind, most them shows are only on Boomerang.

I'm guessing they'll be able to name them along with the Starfish.

I'm guessing 10 years from now that they'll still be recognized.

Ask kids about shows that were on Nick when it first came on. I'm guess that they will not be able to tell you any of those shows.

All I'm talking about is staying power. I just don't see anything that Nick has put out that has stood the test of time.

Actually another reason HB was in the park to start with is because the park was owned by Taft Broadcasting, who just happened to own HB.

What Do You Mean Just Happened To!

HB Was Bestowed On Taft Broadcasting as A Gift From Gawd!

I see you must be a native of the Cinci area! smile.gif

Born and Raised in Colerain Township.

Graduated from Northwest Senior High.

Owned a house in Fairfax behind the Frische's Mainliner.

<G>

I'm only Southern By the Grace of Gawd. <G>

I can say that because I have freedom of speech, and I'm glad it got a makeover.

Actually, these are private forums and you are NOT protected by your First Ammendment right on here, so snap!

But I do agree with you. I'm glad it was made over. The HBL that we knew from last year was a very tired area and it needed a change. After looking at some of the most recent photos, I think the area looks very lively and colorful. I just hope and pray that they keep it up and don't let it fade out like we've seen in the past.

I think Woofer gets the award for "Most Unwilling to Change"

Hmm... PKIC suprilitaves... that's an idea.

And when you don't hear what someone says (if you are from Cinci), you say not "Pardon me.." or "Excuse me." Instead, you say "please..."

And people from other places look at you puzzled and say "Please what?"

Sad part is, that's EXCLUSIVELY Cincinnati. It's not a midwest thing at all!