Goodbye Hanna-Barbara

pope03

How about we show em pics of Scooby Doo, Fred Flintstone, Barney Rubble, George Jetson, Hong Kong Phooey, Smurfs - heck Even Captain Cave Man. 

Heck, I'm not even sure I would recognize Hong Kong Phooey biggrin.gif

I will tell you that my 23 year-old neice saw Mark Summers on the street in NYC and you would have thought she had witnessed the second coming or something. Of course, for an eight year-old (or me for that matter), it wouldn't mean a whole lot (if we even recognized him). I guess my whole point is that it's all about nostaligia, and the popular culture of your childhood. Ten years from now when today's ten year-olds are sitting around watching "I Love the 00's" on VH1, it's Spongebob they'll be reminiscing about--not Hong Kong Phooey or Fred Flintstone. (The same reason I get a little misty thinking about my old "Big Wheel", I guess biggrin.gif )

I guess my only point is that the parks are making the business decision to focus on the core demographic of a kiddie land...and right now (and probably for the next few years) those kiddies will be more drawn to a Spongebob attraction than they would be the same ride themed to the Flintsones. And, I don't think you doubt that either... And, when the next generation of kids have a new fad (and they will), it can be changed to a new theme. Just the circle of (theme park themeing) life I guess...

FWIW, I'll miss HB Land too. Afterall, I'm still mourning the loss of the "Enchanted Voyage" and it's been gone, what, 20 years? smile.gif

Related to the comments about "please" and the Cincinnati use...one of my roommates in college was from Cincinnati, and it took me a month to figure out what he was talking about everytime he said "please." tongue.gif

^ I agree. I'm guessing that if I were a big HB fan when I was little, I would be a lot more upset to see it go. I imagine if they were getting rid of attractions that were themed to shows like Double Dare, You Can't Do That On Television, etc, it would hit me a little more since that was the stuff I watched when I was little.

I will probably miss the Hanna-Barbera Carousel most because of the various H-B characters and music. It was a ride my whole family could enjoy together.

God willing and weather permitting, we will be at PKI tomorrow for opening day. I hope that Toddler Chef enjoys NU.

Happy Opening Day!

Italian Chef

chef.gif

Yes, WE will remember the HB characters because we remember watching them on TV. The thing is, kids today don't watch those shows! THEY will remember the shows, not us. Jeez people, stop thinking that area is for us! It's not! It's for TODAY'S kids. Case in point, I was in HB one day, and some kid was calling Jabberjaw "Kenny the Shark", a cartoon character from TODAY. Kids don't recognize HB characters. Dang people, realize for one second that kids don't watch what we watched anymore.

What a load of bullpies ! ! ! I agree with you uncle henry but ugh what about scooby doo he is still popular with the kids he & his pals are the 3rd highest rated character to be mass marketed I understand that some of the old classics arent as popular as they were but the 5-18 year olds of today know who the flintstones are I mean those characters are timeless I wish I could say the same about the jetsons.

FYI-The reason JabberJaw(s) was ever created was because of the JAWS hype back in the 70's.

Yes, WE will remember the HB characters because we remember watching them on TV. The thing is, kids today don't watch those shows! THEY will remember the shows, not us. Jeez people, stop thinking that area is for us! It's not! It's for TODAY'S kids. Case in point, I was in HB one day, and some kid was calling Jabberjaw "Kenny the Shark", a cartoon character from TODAY. Kids don't recognize HB characters. Dang people, realize for one second that kids don't watch what we watched anymore.

What a load of bullpies ! ! ! I agree with you uncle henry but ugh what about scooby doo he is still popular with the kids he & his pals are the 3rd highest rated character to be mass marketed I understand that some of the old classics arent as popular as they were but the 5-18 year olds of today know who the flintstones are I mean those characters are timeless I wish I could say the same about the jetsons.

FYI-The reason JabberJaw(s) was ever created was because of the JAWS hype back in the 70's.

Scooby is still known because of the movies/cartoons that they continue to make to this day.