Drop Zone

Shman

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but over the last week and a half the ring of seats on drop zone has been noted as sitting on various levels of the tower, meaning it will rise to a level and sit there for an hour or so.

Well if you had seen this from the street/highway you may have been confused.....but once you closer in the park you would actually see 3-4 people standing on the maintainince level of the ring.

So...naturally the question is: whats going on???

Guess what.......the tower is getting a new paint job!!!!!

Thats right...the park is finally going back over the fading paint on the tower!!

Just another of the capital improvement project going on in the park this year.

Yes, it is about time. The colors were starting to fade quite a bit. With Face Off getting its coat of paint last season, it was only logical that Drop Zone would get painted soon. The maintenance workers could also be checking the bolts that hold the sections of the tower together.

I think the paint must be dry to operate

I do not know that with 100% certainty... I do know, I was at work yesterday and they were painting the structure and within about half an hour, they were running the ride. I could be wrong, but the paint wouldnt dry that quickly.

The yellow, green, and red had been repainted from what I saw today. There was some purple splatter near the top of the purple ring, but that was the only fresh purple. I would assume they will be finishing shortly.

The paint was more flat than it was glossy, but it did shine a bit. Overall what was painted was more brilliant.

On a side note, I noticed Vortex got a new sign.

You can see the old track paint job now, when it was red. Bleh! weird.gif

You could see the old red showing in the station for the last few years now.

I'd really like to see Top Gun get some TLC, the theming to be fixed and re-painted. It seems to be the ride that never gets any TLC. I guess maybe they don't care cause it's all the way in the back of the park.

^Yeah Top Gun needs more than just a little TLC........it needs a complete overhaul! Its a good ride but as many people pointed out the track looks rusted and dull. The trains are filthy and covered in grafitti. The soundtrack and music can barely be heard through aging and dying speakers. The aircraft themed area which once was the que you walked through is now closed off and delapidating. The supports have paint peeling off of them to show how rusted they are. Trash, debri, parts of track and cars is just laying everyone on the ground beneath the brakes. The station paintings are chipped apart and the tarp that is along the sides of the station que is missing at some parts or featuring huge holes. On the lift, the speakers are always crackling and sound terrible, chain link fence lines the bottom of the lift and right side while most other suspended coasters have nice looking glass. The line theming is missing (the Russian mig and tomcat are gone, just the support stands there) or broken. IF you look at the original concept drawings for the ride there was supposed to be a F-14 tomcat replica on top of the station and a tower to be built to make it look like an aircraft carrier. Top Gun, while a great ride, does not help the parks image at all. And my biggest pet peeve of all about the ride, is that big billboard that shows an aircraft carrier and two F-15 Eagles, planes used by the air force not the navy and cant even be used on carriers are showing with a big Gillete Mach II symbol. Does gillete even still sponsor the ride? I dont see it on the back of the trains or hear it on the announcments.

And if they have a sponser they are no excuse for the ride to look like that. Of course doesn't Gillete have a new razor now? I don't hear much about the Mach III anymore.

But maybe whatever happens with the sale of Paramount Parks, something will happen to Top Gun. Either all the theming will be removed, or fixed. We shall see.