Opening Day

AZ Kinda Guy

Instead of telling you every little detail of my day I'm going to give you a list of good and bad from what I experienced.

Good

- Avatar. Lots of genuine fun packed into this ride. Sarah and I loved it and this was by far the highlight of the day. The best addition since Delirium!

- Nick looks very nice.

- It's about time DZ got it's long overdue paint job.

- Nice shot glass selection. BTW, did anyone notice "the glitch" on the IJ shot glass set? I guess they never fixed "the glitch".

- Jim in ecology was super friendly!

Bad

- In general, the place looked trashy. It looked as if nobody has been there since November and people were reporting to work for the first time today.

- Employees looked as if it was the middle of August.

- The parked looked like it wasn't ready to open. Several merch shops closed and several eateries closed.

- Where did all the trees go in Nick u? It's a baby Action Zone.

- Where did the ONE tree go in Action Zone?

- Only having one extra to help train new associates? WTF is up with that?

- The train was closed for what reason? Don't give me that maintenance crap. I smell a way to cost cut. Sure I probably wouldn't have rode it but the reason I mention this is if it starts at the train, then where does it stop?

All in all, I've seen better opening days at PKI. The park is trying to save money and boy you can tell. However, closing rides and taking rides down to minimum employees is NOT the way to do it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it isn't cheap.

But what is a bad decison I think. With the already high prices of gas, which could keep people away from PKI this summer (gas could be as high at $3.00 a gallon by summer). People don't want to pay the high prices that I saw at PKI yesterday. As a Season Pass holder makes me not want to buy anything to drink or eat at the park.

I went on opening day yesterday and took my five year old with me..

Good

-Avatar :The Last Air Bender this coaster totally blew me away it was a lot of fun!

-Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera ..It blows Spongebob 3D outta the water my five year old loved it more than spongebob 3D!

-The PKI Staff they were very helpful and friendly

-The Merch lotta stuff to choose from

Bad

-The RestRooms smelled awful in CM

-The Prices.. 10 bucks to park!

Overall I had a great time and will be back again this summer

ps..what happened to Spongebobs pineapple house...also the watermaze didnt look to be all the finished.

I agree... with everything that you have to say. Opening day is to have all of the rides operating at their full mode!!! I only enjoyed about 4hrs at the park before everything started to break down and lines were very, very, very long because all of excellent rides were down. I hope next year is better operating all rides and having more people working. I hate critisizing this wondering park of PKI but somethings did not go that well. Pass processing was HORRIABLE, they need to have early day processing days next year. Hope everyone enjoyed opening day and has a great weekend at PKI!! Which is the #1 park in Ohio!!

Yeah, some ocst cutting measures were visible when I was at the park today. Primarily, the long lines waiting to get into the park because of the new gates open at ten thing. (They actually opened the gates at about 9:50, but I was already in the park via the side entrance for the ACE walkback.)

As far as staffing goes, some rides seemed understaffed with new people still getting trained. Some rides had staffing that seemed less than enthusiastic to be there. But, on some rides, like The Beast and Vortex, they actually had sufficient staffing. Four people checking bars on The Beast, and three on Vortex.

The only other gripe I had was that the Christmas Trees in Swan Lake ARE STILL in the lake. They just pushed the barge off to the corner of the lake so they aren`t as visible. I think they will be staying there for the rest of the summer! Also, when leaving the park today, they only were letting people exit on the right side of the metal detectors, by the will call building. Kind of inconvenient if you parked in the Gold Pass Lot (which wasn`t completly blocked off when I entered it this morning.)

Today while i was at work i heard people complaining about a 30 minute wait to get on to one of many popular attractions. End of last season 30 minutes was nothing! I am content on waiting 30 minutes to ride FoF or TRTR or even Face Off.. All ive herd since opening day is ''omg 30minutes, no thats to long lets come back later''.

What reason is there to run the train? its purpose is to provide transportation to Boomerang Bay, with Boomerang Bay not opening for a little bit there is no reason to run the train. Yeah its a way to cut costs, and its effective, why run two trains to nowhere when you could run no trains and still end up where you started.

Well, why not run one train, like they normally due except on really busy days. The more rides you have down, the more crowded the other rides become. The more crowded the other rides become, the more you have people stuck in line instead of out on the midways playing games or buying food.

Today while i was at work i heard people complaining about a 30 minute wait to get on to one of many popular attractions. End of last season 30 minutes was nothing! I am content on waiting 30 minutes to ride FoF or TRTR or even Face Off.. All ive herd since opening day is ''omg 30minutes, no thats to long lets come back later''.

What reason is there to run the train? its purpose is to provide transportation to Boomerang Bay, with Boomerang Bay not opening for a little bit there is no reason to run the train. Yeah its a way to cut costs, and its effective, why run two trains to nowhere when you could run no trains and still end up where you started.

Why run Vortex?

It just goes out of a station, through some loops and then back to the station.

It's a great way to cut some costs don't ya think?

I'll do this Sparky style.

Things that enhanced my guest experience at PKI:

- NU was beautiful and amazing. I really think the kids got a fair tradeoff for what was removed and what was installed. The area is colorful and will really keep the kids entertained for years to come!

- The character breakfast was much better than expected. They actually used the colored lighting in the Festhaus for this. It was like PKI putting that extra 1% into the program improved it ten fold.

- Much more efficent crews than I'm used to seeing on opening day. Almost like the training was improve.d

Things that deterred from my experience at PKI.

-Themeing was, once again, not improved upon on rides like IJ, TRTR, etc.

- The price increases were ridiculous.

- Shops and food stands closed.

Woofer lol, The Train provides transportation to and from somewhere. Vortex is a thrill ride right? Vortex serves a purpose by attracting people. Train wouldnt serve much of a purpose right now. Im sure most of us dont visit the park to ride The Train. And i highly doubt many people were to upset by the train not running. Im sure you see both sides of the argument as i do with yous ''where does it stop?'' You are absolutely correct, but theres no need to run the train at this moment.

My point is, why run it at this very moment? Ive not been here for any other Opening Day so ive not seen the rides open for the season. My guess is, they are trying to warm the rides up for the start of the daily season.

Did they run the train on Opening Day last season?

I agree. The train was in operation way before the water park ever opened. So what you are saying, then before the waterpark opened the train served no purpose.

Of course I wasn't upset the train wasn't open, but it's just a silly excuse to keep the train closed cause the waterpark isn't open yet.

The train is just a nice relaxing ride, some people don't even get off at the waterpark, just ride for a break from the other rides, or just to take a break period.

I know that the price to park was 10$, but I didn't know that the prices for food and etc went up. On opening day we were not that staffed well (Maybe the grand opeing should had been on Saturday) And I and fellow eco workers were getting some bad comits about the star rides that had some little down time, or some major down, and some didn't even open. But I did like the new make over that NU got, the bright colors and new lay out. I was suprised to see WWC open and running to.

Reading sparkys TR I have the feeling that I am not going to get as much bang for my buck this year.

I already got my 06 pass last year but looking at the gold pass page I do not see as my perks as there were in the past. Its almost better to just get a normal white pass.

The train opening with the waterpark is just a cost cutting measure. I street not opening till 10 Cost cutting. The park looking dirty cost cutting. The park is really sticking it to us this year. Major attractions not up a weekend that hasn't been this nice since 2002 is a bad way to start the season.

Someone is using that six flags logic. lets give them something shiny and new to distract them from the rest of the park that we let goto crap. Basically CBS must of cut the budget so much to make it look "appealing" to bidders.