Flight of Fear In Trouble

DonaldMacRonald

We all know about the Flight of Fear in Kings Dominion being taken out and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who is worried about ours. While looking through the map I noticed something subtle. Around the map itself it shows the "big rides" of the park and each one gets its own little block with a description and everything. Oddly enough Flight of Fear did not have one this year, where it has in the years prior. Even Top Gun, Spongebob 3D and the Train which isnt even currently open right now have a VIP box but not Flight of Fear. Could this be the forshadowing of something bad to come?? Possibly a sign that the ride will be taken out soon or worse, closed mid season and this way they wont have a large closed ride lingering on the map??? I dont know about you guys but I for one am worried.

Check it out (park map)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to ask the same thing about FOF losing its VIP slot on the map until I was told FOF days are certainly numbered I hear that Carowinds will be getting our FOF and PKI and PKD will be getting something very very large next season I hear our FOF will be closed mid-july.

Its still a rumor at this point so Iam taking it with a grain of salt...popular or not anything can happen after all its Bizzness wink.gif

Oh God i hope it doesnt close sad.gif

Where did you hear this Rumour from?

Although it could be likely, as the Camera Booth is no longer in place.

EDIT : on reviewing the map, FOF still shows on the MAP. Would they really print it onto the map and then have it shut Mid Season? Imagine all the new maps they would have to print?

I didnt mean it was off the map completely, I just meant it didnt have its usual VIP box. I would definately think that FOF is an intense enough thrill ride to have its own box. Heck, Vortex still has a box and people are convinced its being removed. Personally I dont think that FOF being downplayed in the map is a mere coincidence with Dominions closing. This does not look good.

FOF @ PKD is still standing and has not been removed. Although the huge sign that used to sit there is gone and replaced by a long wooden fence to block the area. The entire FOF area on the map is gone. In one of the stores at Kings Dominion is promoting Top Gun shirts. There are 2 shirts that promotes Top Gun with different names at the end.

^I think that the fence and all is a clear sign that FOF at PKD is out the door. I didn't think that there was any doubt at this point. Anyway, sounds like PKI's might be next. The main reason that this bugs me is that they continue to remove rides that aren't necessarily a maintenance headache and replacing them with something else when clearly they can expand without removing anything.

Oh God i hope it doesnt close sad.gif

Where did you hear this Rumour from?

Although it could be likely, as the Camera Booth is no longer in place.

EDIT : on reviewing the map, FOF still shows on the MAP. Would they really print it onto the map and then have it shut Mid Season? Imagine all the new maps they would have to print?

Maps are printed and delivered sometimes weekly to the park during peak periods. This is done so that any changes that happen throughout the season can be quickly updated on the park maps. I am talking strictly the guides that are given at the tolls. If Merchandise is selling souvenir maps, those would not change. They would sell through the existing stock.

i see. hmm, i wasnt aware of that, i just thought they stock pilled couple hundred thousands of maps and kept em at the ready.

Yea, why put new seating into the one train, why redo the walls? Its got to be just a rumour, i cant see it happening now that ive thought about it.

Honestly, no one can say for sure whether or not it has maintanence problems except maintanence. I'm sure having a several ton train being launched into a cobra roll for 10 years has caused cosiderable wear and tear on the ride. I mean structurally it probably is getting weaker, similar to Vortex. Also I'm sure its pretty safe to say tha PKD's Flight of Fear is closed.

DevilMayChew, they do have a stock of maps that are kept in the shed. They go through those fairly quickly though. Tens of thousands of maps are distibuted each week. You are talking a few million maps/guides over the summer. The shed they used to keep them in would leak during heavy rains, so many times entire pallets of maps were ruined. Central Warehouse stores some of them now.

Maps are printed and delivered sometimes weekly to the park during peak periods.  This is done so that any changes that happen throughout the season can be quickly updated on the park maps.

Im not trying to offend you but how do you know this. I was almost positive that all the maps were printed in advance. I mean, clearly the people who have the maps printed know what changes are going to be made throughout the year. Its not like in the middle of the season, the park just DECIDES to add a show, or remove a ride. Big changes are not made on the spur of the moment.

Im not trying to offend you but how do you know this. I was almost positive that all the maps were printed in advance. I mean, clearly the people who have the maps printed know what changes are going to be made throughout the year. Its not like in the middle of the season, the park just DECIDES to add a show, or remove a ride. Big changes are not made on the spur of the moment.

Not offended. I worked with Marketing on the design of the map when TRTR was new. I was responsible for for getting the approvals from the movie studio on the souvenir map that was sold in the shops that year. Since TRTR was an addition to the current map already in use, the studio had to give approval before it could be sold. At any rate, the souvenir maps that were sold in the shops was a one-time purchase, 3000 maps I believe. The marketing maps/guides were ordered and delivered throughout the season, and updated as needed. The cost for the park to order all of the guides/maps at the start of the season is outrageous. Sometimes the park does decide to make a change mid-season, or they need to include an event in the park that was not in the guide at the start of the season.

I no longer work at the park. I was there for 12 years. Both when it was just Kings Island, and also during the Paramount years.

I would be a little shocked if FOF was removed. I think the capital spent on that attraction was pretty substantial. However, if they have plans for something bigger and better, then sometimes other rides have to go. I read a post on here that mentioned FOF might move to PC. If that is the case, then yes, I could see if closing and being replaced by a new attraction. Similar to the PGA Stealth situation. It seems like time for PKI to get a steel hyper coaster of somekind.

Guest TombraiderTy

New walls... new train... hmm

I think it may be closed, but not for good. I think that FOF at PKI will get a retheming soon. It may be for sale, but they still added a new section, with a Paramount theme.

Maybe they are rethemeing the ride so the new buyers would pay more for the deal, more to have the license agreement. wink.gif

The train isn't 'new' the one just had new seating installed....i wish we could get this confirmed by someone who Had a say in what was happening with the trains. But yeah the New paint job does sort of suggest the ride is NOT gonna be moving anywhere anytime soon.

So after the time you quit would you say its still possible they print the maps how they did when you were working? 12 years is a pretty long time, so i will take your word on whatever you have to say in the field of marketing smile.gif

Also.... Titanic? if you were at the park for 12 years, then you mustve been there when FOF was Opened? what happened to the maps? new ones printed midway through season?