Flight of Fear In Trouble

DonaldMacRonald

Man the doom and gloom on this site is amazing, since opening day. The park has a slightly rough opening couple days and people start jumping off cliffs around here.

Honestly, why would PKI remove FOF now? It is structuraly sound and is very reliable and popular. Equals a winning attraction. The park has plenty of room throughout the park to add new rides and coasers. The small footprint that FOF occupies is not needed for another attraction. Folks it just doesnt make sense.

The following events will happen this seasson, mark my word.

FOF will be removed along with Vortex, FaceOff, Delerium, TR:TR and SOB will remain SBNO this seasson. During the offseasson PKI will be sold to SixFlags wich will intern demolish the park, pave it, and open a super wallmart.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode FOF yesterday. I had forgotten what a good ride that was. I heard a couple people get off it saying "that beats Space Mountain all to heck".

I hated to see that the picture booth was closed.

I expect a re-theme. I remember filling out a survey awhile back, and they seemed to be pushing an MTV theme pretty hard, if I remember...If FOF doesn't get a re-theme, it definitely needs some TLC. Its too bad PKI doesn't just keep up on the maintenance, as it would still be an interesting theme (same goes for TG...that used to be awesome...)

Man the doom and gloom on this site is amazing, since opening day. The park has a slightly rough opening couple days and people start jumping off cliffs around here.

Honestly, why would PKI remove FOF now? It is structuraly sound and is very reliable and popular. Equals a winning attraction. The park has plenty of room throughout the park to add new rides and coasers. The small footprint that FOF occupies is not needed for another attraction. Folks it just doesnt make sense.

FOF will be removed along with Vortex, FaceOff, Delerium, TR:TR and SOB will remain SBNO this seasson. During the offseasson PKI will be sold to SixFlags wich will intern demolish the park, pave it, and open a super wallmart.

Will the super WalMart include a McDonald's and a Starbucks? And those elderly folk that always welcome you into the store (that's my favorite)?

The park has plenty of room throughout the park to add new rides and coasers. The small footprint that FOF occupies is not needed for another attraction.

That's what we said when the Antique Cars, King Cobra, Phantom Theater, and KCKC (I think that was the name of that water ride) were taken out. tongue.gif

But, anyway, FOF is an awesome ride, and I wouldn't dare believe PKI to be that stupid to get rid of an attraction THAT popular. dry.gif

....then again, there's still the rumor of either The Vortex or Top Gun leaving during the 2006 tour. blink.gif

Well in any case it does seem a bit strange that a great ride like FoF does not have its own box when the Train does. Im sure we all agreee that FoF deserves a VIP Box, but I wouldn't say its a "sign" from above or anything just yet. Especially after what Titanic said about frequent map changes. (Thank you BTW I wouldnt have believed it otherwise.)

since they took the "over the shoulder" restraints out... it is hands-down the best thrill coaster there! ... uh maybe right up there with The Beast. No, removing it doesn't make sense, but then again removing "Stealth" (one of the first "flying" coasters for a water park didn't either.

couple of things. i agree with titanic from earlier. Think about baseball... the Reds, they have those programs printed in BULK and hand out thousands each season. Think of 2000 when they had 2.5 million fans at the park. PKI had 3 million, I know- but when trades were made, those programs were updated the next day. PKI probably prints so many of them that they can take their pick of a number of Printing companies that would jump at the chance to do a print job for them. without knowing for certain, they probably wait until a few days out from major changes to get them printed.

Also- speaking of a coaster in trouble. Was in a conversation with some guys on the Great Wolf work site... now this is from some "non-director"-"no-decision-making" guys, so take it for what you will... just relaying what I heard. Top Gun is in trouble. they said prior to this year they were to be working jointly with the park to create a North Entrance to the Park for Lodge (& resort) guests to use. Their thought was that the Top Gun area had a great gathering place because essentially to return to the main part of the park you had to go under the cement tunnel (from the monorail days)... which would make a good entrance, plus the line que area made a good gathering area. The plans (as they said) were to remove the excess line maze for Son of Beast behind the tunnel and make that an entry point. They said that they oriignally wanted re-theme and move Top Gun to another area of the park but the problem that they were dealing with was that TG was created specifically for that spot with the geography, which would make it almost worthless to another park (almost even to PKI).

In essesnce they speculated that as to why TG has not received any TLC for a few years... because the park is not sure what to do with it. And now with Paramount Parks up for sale, they have heard that the park has stalled plans for the North entrance for now until they see what ownership is going to do... I guess CBS does not want to ride the expense of moving and re-tracking, and re-theming a ride.

Like I said... these are site guys that have no authority.. and probably heard the story themselves from 5 levels down. May not be remotely close to the story... but it at least seemed plausible to me.

take it for what you will.

Well keep in mind that before the 2005 park map, their was no "Signature Attractions" boxes on the park maps. They are merely pointing out some of the major attractions. They don`t have the room (or the need) to point out Flight of Fear. FoF pulls in enough people because of its popularity. On any given day, it has one of the longest lines in the park. Right up there with the lines for Drop Zone.

Elmer Fudd, I don`t buy those guys` story. The entrance to the park will be a short shuttle ride to the front gate. Plus, the resort guests would have a long hike even to get to this north entrance. Secondly, Top Gun is almost identical to The Vortex at Paramount Canada`s Wonderland. The Vortex at Wonderland actually opened in 1991, two years before PKIs. This means that PKI`s was not necessarily designed specifically for the site it sits on. Although, they probably located the ride their because it did fit the site.

I didn't say their story was laced with facts. the one guy said that when the weather broke in late Feb/March, he was to start working to develop a walkway to the park but recently found out that plans have changed (whatever that means).

I didn't know whether to believe them or not either... but these weren't fat guys, leaning on shovels, eating a danish.... they were mid-40 fourman-types. They weren't talking secretively... just very "matter-of-factly." It doesn't matter to me either way.. indecision did seem to explain why a great coaster was missing numerous levels of TLC for the past 3 years.

I just looked at pics of Vortex and TG... you're right; the footprints look very similar... but the topography of the land under TG is unique to that specific location and I don't think could be duplicated economically. But then again, I am not in the coaster, amusement, or engineering business.

who knows... just passing along a conversation.

OK- FOF problems, TG problems, favorite rides getting removed, etc... This'll put that all into perspective, at least PKI is not suffering this fate:

Astroland before:

http://www.sixflagshouston.com/photos/Various-Park-Photos

Astroland today:

http://www.oldastroworld.com/album/index.html

7 months after the last coaster pulled into the station, the park went from lush trees, screaming patrons, and basic life to mud and rubble.... and not because of Hurricanes or earthquakes.... it was corporate decisions.

corporate decisions don't always make sense.

ie- the Flyers..... if you look at their location, there was clearly room for it to remain where it was.... and PLENTY of room for it in other parts of the park (Flight Commander pad, for instance)... it was a Coney Island original and it got unceremoniously shipped out.

corporate decisions don't always make sense.

ie- the Flyers..... if you look at their location, there was clearly room for it to remain where it was.... and PLENTY of room for it in other parts of the park (Flight Commander pad, for instance)... it was a Coney Island original and it got unceremoniously shipped out.

Room wasn't it, they wanted to move them to Carowinds. If they just sold them as scrap or placed them with KC then it would have not made sense.

Letting KC set out there with scrap metal at 155 dollars a ton don't make sense.

six flags is in too much debt to buy the paramount parks

I for one wouldnt care if FOF was rethemed or what not...If PKI does remove FOF its for the best.

Besides I go to the park twice a month it would be nice to see something with a great theme in that area.(Yeah the theme is what hooks me and gets me & my family in those park gates!)

OMG... they better not take out FOF..its my favorite ride, plus i dont see why they would take it out, its not even that old and always has a long wait for it...its a popular ride. if they take it out i will be devistated. Kings Island smokin sumthin if they take it out. --jenni

Well, hard as it is to believe, Flight of Fear opened ten years ago this year! Although it was delayed and didn`t first open until June of 1996. And it was plagued with problems that first year. All the crowds that year would run back to Coney Mall to try and get the first rides of the day on it.

on reviewing the map, FOF still shows on the MAP. Would they really print it onto the map and then have it shut Mid Season? Imagine all the new maps they would have to print?

i didn't read the other pages so sorry if this was already said.. but the park does put out new maps every few weeks (like.. new ones for fearfest and what not) so they could easily have that area of the map edited.. or throw a box over it that says "something exciting coming for 2007"

Well, hard as it is to believe, Flight of Fear opened ten years ago this year! Although it was delayed and didn`t first open until June of 1996. And it was plagued with problems that first year. All the crowds that year would run back to Coney Mall to try and get the first rides of the day on it.

Well, thats my point, its only 10 years old. Look at Vortex, its lasted, and Flight of Fear is a lot more popular than that. I just dont seem them taking it out. They are censored.gif stupid if they do. --jenni dry.gif