FOF stay or go ?

TOPGUN1993

This is the dumbest servey ever. It's like the only good ride at PKi and you people question it, how sad.

The only good ride? It may be one of the best rides there but it is most definitely not the only good ride in the park. PKI is full of great rides and if you feel that is the only good ride there, then why would you bother to go to the park.

With that being said, once again I hope it stays with the same theme, because it is a great ride.

I also remember hearing somewhere that it seemed they were shutting down FOF at PKD because of the addition of IJ:TC.  From what I heard with the park already having three launched coasters, a forth would have required too much electricity and made for a massive elecricity bill.  Also I think I heard mentioned that the park may not have even been able to get the amount of energy to run four launched coasters and that is why they shut down FOF for the new IJ:TC. 

It seems like a stupid idea to get a fourth launched coaster if you know you can't run it without shuting down another one but that's just what I heard.  It may be true or false I don't really know.

This makes a lot of sense, not the decision by PP to put in another launched coaster in PKD if they would have to take out a ride, but the whole idea of why FoF at PKD closed.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the dumbest servey ever.

Hey pot, the kettle's calling. laugh.gif

Nobody can even speculate what is going to happen with FoF; at least until the sale is completed. Chances are, PKD either already planned to not operate their FoF this year for a re-theme,or, they started to do the work, and decided to wait until the new owner makes a decision.

I cannot see taking either ride out, it doesn't make sense.

When Paramount first bought PKI, Top Gun was already in the works as a different name & theme. Paramount made the decision to theme it to a movie after the sale. I can see the same scenario at PKD.

Well, if it does go, it better not happen until i get a chance to ride it. I haven't gotten a chance yet, i always chickened out when i was younger, now i just don't want to wait in line. I'll do it this year if it's still there huh.gif especially since i don't know if i'll get another chance.

Precisely. I`m sure the parks are already looking at their 2007 capital plans. They will proceed as normal until the sale is completed. Then, once the deal closes, they might make changes to the name/theme of the new attractions, but I doubt there would be any major changes in the new attractions. Also, depending on when the sale is completed, I doubt there will be any major changes in the park this season.

I don`t see Flight of Fear at PKI going anywhere anytime soon. They installed new seats in one of the trains (they are now the same orange color as the lapbars).

I know its a fantastic Ride, I want it to stay, so I voted STAY, but I really feel in the back of my mind that it will be rethemed to the MTV Soundwave or something like that, I needs to have a cool theme... Lets try to keep it as is!

Is a MTV soundwave like the Aerosmith rockin roller coaster at disney? Does anyone know the cost per hour to run the FOF?

No, no one knows exactly what the MTV Soundwave concept is because so far, Paramount Parks hasn`t built any at its parks yet.

The park is not going to release how much it costs them to run Flight of Fear per hour. But by deduction you can get an approximate figure for staffing costs. Greeter position, unload, driver, and three restraint checkers in the loading station. That`s six people running the ride at any given time. Then there is the cost of electricity for running the LIMS and the air conditioning for the building.

Not to sound sacreligious, but am I wrong, or is FOF the same model Vekoma launch as Rock N Roller Coaster.

I can't possibly see it going anytime soon. The lines are still too long for it. It is indeed a great ride, but the theme is a little tired. Besides, we all know Vortex will be out within the next couple years and will be replaced by the Wonder Pets giga coaster right????

No! Flight of Fear at both PKI and PKD`s SBNO FoF were designed and manufactured by Premier Rides of Maryland, not Vekoma International. Therefore, it is NOT the same ride that was designed by Vekoma for Rock `N` Roller Coaster at Disney MGM Studios.

Premier also designed the trains and restraints on Son of Beast. The restraints they then applied to Flight of Fear five years ago replacing the over the shoulder restraints and turning the once headbanging ride into a truly great ride.

^ I'm glad they changed the over the shoulder restraints, because everytime i rode that ride i had a huge headache after the final corkscrew at the end of the ride. Son of Beasts trains could be a little bigger for taller guests, but thats the only complaint i have on that, other than the trains Son of Beast is a great ride and I can't wait until it opens up this year.

Keep it as is. One of our better (thrill-orientated) coasters, and our only launcher if you dont count IJ. Plus the themeing for the line is awesome. Now that our Outer Limits liscence has worn off, I dont see anything wrong with the theming, nor how a new theme would fix it. As for technical difficulties, no ride is without breakdown. As long as its fixable, keep it.

• 3 weeks later...

Flight of Fear. Well I have to say that I like the unique name better than Outer Limits:Flight of Fear. There were enough paramount movie titles hanging around. It was nice to see one of them dropped. Kind of like Son of Beast. It was nice to see a ride get a name all its own more related to the parks history than seeing something like "The Italian Job". a.k.a. A movie that I will never want to watch.

And a ride that I will never want to ride. Much less even look at. HONESTLY, from atop of the Eiffel Tower, this thing looks like a Dump Heap. In my opinion, Kings Island, ( as I affectionately like to call the park ) needs to do with The Italian Job as they did with (The Bat) years ago. Tear the thing down quickly so that nobody remembers that the coaster ever even existed. And oh yeah, Flight of Fear is a more comfy ride now ( change of riding harness ) but it is not as much fun since they slowed the take-off down a bit.

m.f.

unfortunately heres what could be new for 2007:

1. FoF gets completely rethemed so now it has a paramount theme again, like adams family, or MI, or even a band named after it.

2. FoF gets demolished and a somthing either record breaking or family oriented would be put in.

3. FoF gets a neighbor on the site where the helicopter ride used to be.

Just my thoughts or ideas of what to look for

The helicopter was a concession. Either it didn't make as much money as the owner wanted it to, or PKI wanted more to renew than the owner wanted to pay. Either way, it's gone. That was a neat attraction. I enjoyed it immensely (and got chided strongly for hanging out the side once!)

As for FOF, it is one of the major reasons I go to Paramount's Kings Island. It is a great attraction, great fun, and I do hope it stays.

That all being said, riding Jokers Jinx at Six Flags America a few weekends back reminded me of just how incredible PKI's FOF was (compared to PKD's) back when PKI didn't use the midcourse brake. The SFA version doesn't even HAVE a midcourse brake! It is also a very odd experience, being outside! (As is the one at Six Flags Fiesta Texas (there called Poltergeist)

For as long as I can remember, FOF has been a pretty popular ride. It's had pretty good staying power, and I think it would probably tick a substantial amount of people off. I'm pretty sure that it's had a pretty good maintanence record, and the theming is in good shape. I just don't see a viable reason to remove it.

~S~

I actually see FOF staying once the park gets a new owner, no matter who it is. No one who buys PKI is going to be dumb enough to throw out one of it's most popular attractions.

I guess that is one good thing that would happen with any of the new owners - none of the major rides would get trashed. Which also means Vortex isn't going anywhere either, yes!

• 3 weeks later...

No offense, but I doubt that an employee as low on the chain as a rides associate knows for sure if FOF is staying or going, I'm not disrespecting your job but I doubt you know what a few people higher up know as much as you think you do. Shaggy, a member on here who has proven time and time again to be a reputable source, told us that they were planning to relocate PKD's FOF to PCW and eventually relocate PKI's, he went on to say that, that is still up in the air due to the sale now. It is known that Paramount Parks had planned to start a ride rotation program for 2007, although now the parks will soon be under Cedar Fair rule. Just because a line has a long line doesnt mean it WONT be relocated, there are many factors that go into the decision. Stealth at PGA had long lines and it is now at Carowinds.