Over 30 forum?

First of all, I love this site. You guys do a GREAT job.

I was wondering if there could possibly be a forum in the future for possibly people maybe 30 years and older. This is only because I know theres a lot of people that like to reminisce about KI, and have a lot different perspective of the park than the younger guys. The young ones are very knowledgeable about the goings on of the park. Way more than I'll ever know. I just thought maybe a forum for the more mature crowd might just be more related to more upbeat park experiences (past and present), rather than so much of the "behind the scene" stuff. I think EVERYONE has a valid viewpoint of the park. But to me, KI (or PKI, or whatever its going to be) is just a really fun place for me to go regardless of who owns it, whos going to own it, whats coming in the next few years, and whats going to be ripped out. PKI is a great way for me to "get away", so my thoughts of it are going to be more rosy than the guys that work there, and know so much about it. I hope this makes some sort of sense. Thanks for listening.

^Kind of like an Adult Swim for PKIcentral? All young kids out of the pool. wink.gif The only problem with this is that theres no way to enforce it to tell whos lying or not, I dont have my real age listed and anyone who isnt personally known on here could just change their age to gain acess plus who says you cant reminice, the few people who actually share possitive memories open up questions for the younger kids to ask. If the younger kids coulndt read your ramblings about the past park theyd learn a lot less about it. I like hearing people like WooferBear's stories about the way the park used to be and I dont think a forum like this could be enforced nor work well.

You're right. That probably wasn't the best name for the forum. Maybe a "My positive PKI experience" forum? I know I can complain with the best of them. Sometimes, though, I just want to read about what a fun place the park is, and when I get on the site, all of the ramblings about the workings of the park is kind of like getting stuck in the eye with something sharp when I'm in one of my good moods smile.gif

^I know how you feel, theres too many people on here who complain about things at the park when they dont know the full story as to why something wasnt working or why things didnt go there way. Generally, PKI is a good park and I agree with you it wouldnt kill people to be mroe possitive on here.

^Kind of like an Adult Swim for PKIcentral? All young kids out of the pool. wink.gif The only problem with this is that theres no way to enforce it to tell whos lying or not, I dont have my real age listed and anyone who isnt personally known on here could just change their age to gain acess plus who says you cant reminice, the few people who actually share possitive memories open up questions for the younger kids to ask. If the younger kids coulndt read your ramblings about the past park theyd learn a lot less about it. I like hearing people like WooferBear's stories about the way the park used to be and I dont think a forum like this could be enforced nor work well.

LOL

It's good to know I'm not thought of as a dottering old fool at the age of 38.

Thanks Combat.

Pkifan...

I would be totally in favor of the positive and negative board. Its all to infrequent that the 'know it alls' come on here preaching to a choir, high in the heavens, about how the demise of PKI is looming upon us and how the park is doomed. There is a line between a friendly debate and just a chronic overflowing of negativity from some people. Ill be the first one in line to defend paramount to the naysayers...

I know that others grow weary of having to sift through posts that constantly point out ....

- how PPS sucks at themeing and maint.

- how the are ruining The Beast

- how great it would be if Cedar Fair bought PPS

- how cheap PPS is

- how "I" wish KI would abondon its identity and go back to whatever it "was"

I would have thought that posts like these would have been put into a specified thread, but instead you find heaps and mounds of these posts just floating in the general discussion forum. While some people, who have a education behind there screen name, are able to word there posts to sound intellegent, there are some who are like a broken record. This site holds just as much valuable information to trip planners and media sources than the pki.com website does. I dont understand why people want to write disparaging comments about a place they enjoy going to, especially when people use this website as a reference to making a trip.

All I am saying, is that it may be beneficial to do a little 'case study' to see if creating a forum in addition to the general one, where people can vent frustrations etc, would be a worthy addition. I personally think it would....

Just as a little side note.... I have always found this an interesting point, be it on PKIU, PKIC, Extremepki, Coasterbuzz, URC.... wherever.... there is always more disagreement than agreement. Always dissention among the troops... The only other message board I have ever been apart of is one for Lake Cumberland in south central Kentucky. I could count on one hand the number of negative threads ive read there over 5 years... Its not as though the two arent related being vacation destinations... Marina ownership changes, gas prices soar, fees to launch a boat, rental fees, taxes on luxury watercraft that cost in excess of 500,000 - 2,000,000... And yet the 2000 members on that site are just a bunch of good ole boys (and gals) that dont mind shelling out the big bucks to go the area because it offers a great product.

If i had to base my vacation plans on what i read online .... of course i would go to lake cumberland.... at least there they can all agree on one simple fact, Cumberland is a great place.

So go ahead.... boo me if you want, it doesnt matter .... I still love my paramount smile.gif

ps - gas at Jamestown Marina is 4.03 for regular :-D

WOO HOO FOR A 60 GALLON TANK

Dane and I had an emergency meeting about the ideas listed above and this is my blanket response:

Over 30 forum - Excellent idea, but nearly impossible to be feasible. How could you prove that you're over 30? Well, as you know the Invision Powerboards which is the engine that runs the PKIC forums requests that you input your birthday upon registration. Hence the fact that the boards wish you a happy birthday on your big day. Unfortunately, the administration does not have the ability to view birthdays when looking at their profile. It would come down to something like how the Employee Lounge works in which you would PM one of us and we'd basically have to take your word for it, which is something that won't accomplish much in the long run.

Place to "vent your frustration" - Any of you old school PKICers might remember the old "Battle Room" which we had when the site first opened. It was intended for threads such as "PKI vs. Cedar Point" with the honest intention of having civil conversations. Unfortunately almost every thread turned into flame war which is not conducive to the type of community which we are trying to build here on PKIC.

I've heard a lot of comments about people being tired of negative posts about PKI, and I totally agree. Unfortunately, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, no matter what they may be. The staff feels very fortunate to run a site that is literally visited by thousands of people a day. We feel so honored by the fact that you share you thoughts, opinions and criticism as well as view our videos and photos. If it weren't for each and every one of you, it would be completely pointless to do what we do. The inherent downside to this is that, being such a large community, not everyone is going to be pleased. That goes for the PKI and this site. Everyone is free to carry their own opinions and expressing them on the site is encouraged. All of our TOS guidelines are simply put into place in order to make sure that posts are intelligent and with respect to other forum members. PKI is my second home and I have made some of the greatest friends that I could have ever asked for as a result of it, so it pains me to see negative comments on the site. In the end however, everyone has one thing in common: a love for PKI. To me, it seems that negative comments about PKI are simply a frustration of the perspective that there is a gap between how great the park is, and how great it could potentially be, which is something we acknowledge and respect.

Please continue with suggestions. This whole site is intended to make your visits to PKI a little more fun, thus making your life just a little brighter so help us to allow that to happen.

Regards,

Ryan

^Kind of like an Adult Swim for PKIcentral? All young kids out of the pool.  wink.gif  The only problem with this is that theres no way to enforce it to tell whos lying or not, I dont have my real age listed and anyone who isnt personally known on here could just change their age to gain acess plus who says you cant reminice, the few people who actually share possitive memories open up questions for the younger kids to ask. If the younger kids coulndt read your ramblings about the past park theyd learn a lot less about it. I like hearing people like WooferBear's stories about the way the park used to be and I dont think a forum like this could be enforced nor work well.

LOL

It's good to know I'm not thought of as a dottering old fool at the age of 38.

Thanks Combat.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Wooferbear,

The entire point of the employee room is because there are certain topics that can be perceived two different ways: The employee way and the GP way. A good example is this: What is your favorite ride pairing? The employee would know that the topic is what ride pairing do you like to work, like the SOB/GUN pairing, or DZ/DOT pairing. The GP would think it meant what are your two favorite rides are.

Plus occasionally people ask about shifts to be covered.

I know there probaly is no way to regulate the over 30 forum but if it did come about could people under thirty get to view the forum without getting to post in it? I myself enjoy reading about the old Kings Island and would enjoy other peoples stories.

Are you talking about a "Fondest memories of PKI" thread or forum?

I know there probaly is no way to regulate the over 30 forum but if it did come about could people under thirty get to view the forum without getting to post in it? I myself enjoy reading about the old Kings Island and would enjoy other peoples stories.

I'll have to give an "Old History Tour" at the park some time. <G>

Ohhhhhh, the stories I should tell, the stories I could tell and the stories that should well just be unsaid. <G>

Hey! Hey!

I'm still pretty darn young even at 38!

I wouldn't be any younger even if I had the chance.

I remember a friend saying (when she turned 50) that she would not trade it for the world and that every year gets better and better. I didn't really understand it when she said it but I certainly do now.

Hey! Hey!

I remember a friend saying (when she turned 50) that she would not trade it for the world and that every year gets better and better. I didn't really understand it when she said it but I certainly do now.

I think I understand what you mean... I'm almost 38, and the idea of being 21 again doesn't appeal to me at all. I think about the things I did and thought when I was that age, and realize how misplaced my priorities were. I think the absolute best thing about getting older is how much more comfortable you become with yourself and who you are. It also gives you the sense of presence to realize that I know a lot more than I did at 28, and I currently know a lot less than I will at 48. (And, to be honest, I'm in a lot better shape today than I was when I was 21...not nearly as much beer and junk food biggrin.gif )

Of course, there are certainly some events that make me stop and say "I can't believe I'm that old!" For instance, my rapidly approaching 20-year high school class reunion, realizing that Ronald Reagan was President when I started college, and that a girl I went to high school with is now a grandmother!!! (Although, in fairness, she also had her first baby when we were 16, so she's always been on a somewhat accelerated course biggrin.gif )

Hey! Hey!

I remember a friend saying (when she turned 50) that she would not trade it for the world and that every year gets better and better.  I didn't really understand it when she said it but I certainly do now.

I think I understand what you mean... I'm almost 38, and the idea of being 21 again doesn't appeal to me at all. I think about the things I did and thought when I was that age, and realize how misplaced my priorities were. I think the absolute best thing about getting older is how much more comfortable you become with yourself and who you are. It also gives you the sense of presence to realize that I know a lot more than I did at 28, and I currently know a lot less than I will at 48. (And, to be honest, I'm in a lot better shape today than I was when I was 21...not nearly as much beer and junk food biggrin.gif )

Of course, there are certainly some events that make me stop and say "I can't believe I'm that old!" For instance, my rapidly approaching 20-year high school class reunion, realizing that Ronald Reagan was President when I started college, and that a girl I went to high school with is now a grandmother!!! (Although, in fairness, she also had her first baby when we were 16, so she's always been on a somewhat accelerated course biggrin.gif )

Ronald Regan was president when I was born. By the way, I'm 23 and that's like the worst age ever. It's definitely that "too old to be a boy, too young to be a man" age. But deep down inside, I'm just a big kid.

Have a good day,

Ryan

Yeah, Ryan, I agree with you 100% on that one. I think the toughest years are 20-25. You're still really a kid, but yet have a lot of adult responsibilities. The good news is that around 25 you turn the corner and things start falling into place. (Right about the time your car insurance dramatically drops biggrin.gif )

Ronald Regan was president when I was born. By the way, I'm 23 and that's like the worst age ever. It's definitely that "too old to be a boy, too young to be a man" age. But deep down inside, I'm just a big kid.

Have a good day,

Ryan

Keep being a big kid Ryan.

Based on what I've seen here you're becoming a fine young man.

Yeah, Ryan, I agree with you 100% on that one. I think the toughest years are 20-25. You're still really a kid, but yet have a lot of adult responsibilities. The good news is that around 25 you turn the corner and things start falling into place. (Right about the time your car insurance dramatically drops biggrin.gif )

You're absolutely right about the 25 thing.

I'd had this 25 rule for years. It's that I would not date anyone seriously that was younger than 25 as they had not lived enough or experienced enough to seriously consider settling down.

Now that's certainly not belitting anyone under the age of 25 as that (like any age) is a magical time that has to be experienced to it's fullest. We all just need to learn to be happy with our age and to take on the challenges that any age group presents.

Ronald Regan was president when I was born.  By the way, I'm 23 and that's like the worst age ever.  It's definitely that "too old to be a boy, too young to be a man" age.  But deep down inside, I'm just a big kid.

Have a good day,

Ryan

Keep being a big kid Ryan.

Based on what I've seen here you're becoming a fine young man.

Woooooaaahh! What have you heard??? biggrin.gif

Ahhhh, as one of the elders here, I think that an over 30 forum would be nice, but not really feasible as Ryan said. See, Ryan, you do have some wisdom at 23. At 34 and nearly 35, I find it fun to listen to some of the really early 20's kids who think that they know it all. Fortunately for me, even at 21, I did know it all. wink.gif Now, I just know a whole lot more. But seriously, the mid to late 20's is when you really start taking shape into the man (or woman) that you will become.

Perfect example is my life as of right now. Currently, I work at a restaurant that I worked from the age of 19 until I was 29. I hear a lot of drama and used to be all caught up in what was happening. Now, I really couldn't care less as these days I try to avoid as much drama as possible. Forunately, I just got a killer new job and will not have to listen to the drama any more.