PKI Slowly Killing Itself

Knoxville

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alot of the improvements the park needs are cosmetic. Cleaning up this or that, fixing this or that. Tomb Raider of course needs a lot of stuff fixed. Vortex needs some serious work on it's queue line. Racer's ready brake tunnel needs work. I am sure the park knows about these problems - it is just a matter of working with the budget they are given. Hopefully the new company will realize the importance of having a well maintained park, and will put in several million for cosmetic repairs.

Also getting a new awesome ride or two wouldn't hurt. After going to Cedar Point a couple weeks ago, I realized that just about all of the rides totally beat anything we have. But then again, they are more for thrill seekers where PKI is more for families. Still a nice totally insane coaster like Raptor would be a good addition.

PKI is more for families was a excuse for the new direction they turned to some time ago. There was more money to be made from low cost attractions like they have been getting. Their thinking is they can spend 3 million instead of 30 million and they will still get the same 3 million attendance.

The families thing is just like when they tell you they are going to bring back old rides. It was said to keep you from having a cow about it.

The post about why do you go if you hate it.

They go because they like the park but they hate what is happening to it.

If you hate what's happening to it, why don't you actually say something about it to the park? Send them an e-mail, or talk to guest relations on your next trip. Don't whine about it on some fansite, if you TRUELY are upset, talk with the park, not us.

Alot of the improvements the park needs are cosmetic.  Cleaning up this or that, fixing this or that.  Tomb Raider of course needs a lot of stuff fixed.  Vortex needs some serious work on it's queue line.  Racer's ready brake tunnel needs work.  I am sure the park knows about these problems - it is just a matter of working with the budget they are given.  Hopefully the new company will realize the importance of having a well maintained park, and will put in several million for cosmetic repairs.

Also getting a new awesome ride or two wouldn't hurt.  After going to Cedar Point a couple weeks ago, I realized that just about all of the rides totally beat anything we have.  But then again, they are more for thrill seekers where PKI is more for families.  Still a nice totally insane coaster like Raptor would be a good addition.

And I'm surprised the ride ops at TR:TR don't bother walking through the cave with a pan & broom and sweeping up all the trash that's accumulated over the years. Or why the ride ops at FOF don't do the same thing in the hangar, except get a couple of ladders and some Swiffer broom thingys and clean up the UFO.

Or why the ride ops at Racer don't bother walking through Racer's brake station with chewing gum remover and scrapers in their hands either before the park opens or after the park closes.

But I'm not saying that the ride ops suck for not doing that. All the ride ops are cool (props to Beast and Vortex crews); I'm just, you know, lost on the whole cleaning up bit.

I would love to stay after the park closes and actually help clean up TR:TR and FOF considering I'm in Ecology, but I'm fearful that I might get in trouble or no one else wanting to help out. I'm almost tempted to walk into TR:TR's cave and sweep up myself once our crew gets assigned to the area, but I think I might get in trouble for that as well. sad.gif

Alot of the improvements the park needs are cosmetic.  Cleaning up this or that, fixing this or that.  Tomb Raider of course needs a lot of stuff fixed.  Vortex needs some serious work on it's queue line.  Racer's ready brake tunnel needs work.  I am sure the park knows about these problems - it is just a matter of working with the budget they are given.  Hopefully the new company will realize the importance of having a well maintained park, and will put in several million for cosmetic repairs.

Also getting a new awesome ride or two wouldn't hurt.  After going to Cedar Point a couple weeks ago, I realized that just about all of the rides totally beat anything we have.  But then again, they are more for thrill seekers where PKI is more for families.  Still a nice totally insane coaster like Raptor would be a good addition.

And I'm surprised the ride ops at TR:TR don't bother walking through the cave with a pan & broom and sweeping up all the trash that's accumulated over the years. Or why the ride ops at FOF don't do the same thing in the hangar, except get a couple of ladders and some Swiffer broom thingys and clean up the UFO.

Or why the ride ops at Racer don't bother walking through Racer's brake station with chewing gum remover and scrapers in their hands either before the park opens or after the park closes.

But I'm not saying that the ride ops suck for not doing that. All the ride ops are cool (props to Beast and Vortex crews); I'm just, you know, lost on the whole cleaning up bit.

I would love to stay after the park closes and actually help clean up TR:TR and FOF considering I'm in Ecology, but I'm fearful that I might get in trouble or no one else wanting to help out. I'm almost tempted to walk into TR:TR's cave and sweep up myself once our crew gets assigned to the area, but I think I might get in trouble for that as well. sad.gif

Easier said than done.

Cleaning (which is something 16, 17 18 year olds don't like to do) = Lots of time = $$

BTW Ecology sweeps up Que lines all the time

If you hate what's happening to it, why don't you actually say something about it to the park? Send them an e-mail, or talk to guest relations on your next trip. Don't whine about it on some fansite, if you TRUELY are upset, talk with the park, not us.

What shall we talk about then? Like to talk about how you have a big mouth for such a little guy. cowboy.gif

But the theming is for kids to know, not adults.

Look people, as good as memories are to maintain, its even better to make new memories with your kids.

Amen. I want the current generation of children to have just as good of memories as I do of the park when I was their age.

From a technical standpoint, the Eco sups tell us not to, and that it's the responsibility of Rides to clean up the queues, but it really doesn't stop the few of us that actually care about how a ride looks.

I know it is the responsibility of rides to clean their own queues, but we do appreciate the few of you that care about the park and help us out especially on the very busy days when the lines look really bad.

I wish more people(guests and employees) cared about how the park looked and put their trash in trash cans and not on the ground. It would make the park look so much better.

And I'm surprised the ride ops at TR:TR don't bother walking through the cave with a pan & broom and sweeping up all the trash that's accumulated over the years.

For the record, that area gets cleaned every single day. Obviously the gum and coins cant be picked up every night, but any trash down there is from that day and that day only.

Easier said than done.

Cleaning (which is something 16, 17 18 year olds don't like to do) = Lots of time = $$

BTW Ecology sweeps up Que lines all the time

When I started in food service I had a Supervisor (Mark Carroll - see I remember his name to this day!) that was so on top of the cleanliness that he had everyone hand dry the cracks on the floor at closing time.

You could absolutely eat off the floors of the stands.

So don't tell me that 16, 17 and 18 year olds can't clean.

And I'm surprised the ride ops at TR:TR don't bother walking through the cave with a pan & broom and sweeping up all the trash that's accumulated over the years.

For the record, that area gets cleaned every single day. Obviously the gum and coins cant be picked up every night, but any trash down there is from that day and that day only.

You could've told me that before I said anything, yo. tongue.gif

Wooferbearatl,

Was there any point to your post below other than being obnoxious? Obviously you were about to make out what my post said, even through my 1st grade grammar and my pitiful spelling.

Im so embarassed cowboy.gif

Simply that the purpose of a message board is to discuss differing issues and points of view.

I honestly have not seen anything posted in some time that is of serious concern.

I think that the moderators of this board do a fantastic job in regulating what is posted and make sure that what is left on the board is not of distructive nature.

I really don't think that anyone that posts on this board would want to see anything ill happen to a park that many of us hold so near and dear.

So your point is?

Yeah we cleaned that every night, both sides all the way back out into the entrance to the cave. All the nasties that were dropped down there were picked up by someone and then the job we did on cleaning was inspected. We pulled all the trash from the que lines and swept the entire outside que, even if it had not been opened for the days use, aswell as sweeping the catwalk.

As for FOF cleaning? We sweep the Ques inside and out, pull the trash, and our cleaning jobs can only be as good as the equiptment we are given to do the job of cleaning our rides. Ive got another idea, how about people use the trash cans provided instead of throwing their cups and wrappers on the floor?

I used to do a darn fine job of sweeping Antechamber and Preshow, i mean i would sweep the dust out of the cracks and make the floor look as nice as it was ever gonna look. But to get that real Proffesional look and style we need Housekeeping to come down to the rides and help smile.gif lol

As for FOF cleaning? We sweep the Ques inside and out, pull the trash, and our cleaning jobs can only be as good as the equiptment we are given to do the job of cleaning our rides. Ive got another idea, how about people use the trash cans provided instead of throwing their cups and wrappers on the floor?

It's probably because the hangar area is too dark for guests to see where the trash cans are located at. Either that or they're just lazy.

The ride ops at TR:TR may need to add a few cans inside the cave portion of the queue, that is, of course, if they aren't already in there. It would help reduce the amount of trash in there dramatically.

...Pending the guests have gotten smarter in their trash-throwing abilities. rolleyes.gif

I heard that all Cedar Fair parks, it is required for the ride ops to take breaks and sweep and clean the que for 20 minutes every day.

I think its a good idea.

Ive got another idea, how about people use the trash cans provided instead of throwing their cups and wrappers on the floor?

You just summed it all up pretty easily. There are too many disrespectful patrons who do not care where they throw their trash. I'd hate to see their homes. Of course, you can probably blame their parents as well for not raising them to be respectful of others or their property.

FOF Hangar isnt to Dark to see all the trash cans, there are enough spread around inside and out, that you will see atleast one no matter where you look. In the loading area there is one trash can for every Car. There arent really many bigger pieces of trash that need to be picked up in the Hangar anyway, its just small things.

I dont agree with having to make the Ride Ops clean for 20minutes while still on the clock/during break, or w,e. If they expect something like that from us then we need to start gettin a higher wage, I know this isnt the employee area but everyone who works at KI knows what im talking about. Rides Ops carry a tremendous amount of responsibility, and then to have to clean the ride? Ecology should have to worry about that, in MY opinion.

Hey, don`t complain about cleaning your ride area. At Coney, if somebody gets sick around your ride`s immediate midway, chances are that we, as ride ops, will have the task of cleaning it up. Ecology at Coney is not staffed very well and does not often have the time to get over to a protien spill in a timely manner.

I really think that if the ride ops clean the que and coaster area then its much more cleaner frequently and shows the GP that there is a presence there that watches, even in ques.

Why would it be so bad to take a broom for 20 minutes and sweep the que and pick up trash? I think its a very good idea. Eco may not do the best job of picking up an area (Not dissing any Eco Staff here) or just dont reach a part of the ride area. The que for FOF usually has a bottle or two here and there. I'de pick it up, but then wouldnt the park have to pay me? tongue.gif

First off, ecology is responsible for the open areas of the park, not the rides. It is EXTREMELY bad form for a ride to call on ecology for trash cleanup.

Second, every ride is cleaned every night after close. This is generally sufficient and I think it's the best the park can do. It's not realistic to clean the rides during the day: you just can't sweep a queue when there's several hundred people standing in it. Voban's and major spills are the only exceptions.

Oh yes, I'd expect to have to Clean up a protein spill. But thats not what the topic of discussion was, we were talking about trash, gum etc. Ive not had the pleasure of using some gloves and sprinkling some voban this season, but last season, I had my fair share of Protein Spilages lol.

Trash on the otherhand is a different matter, As long as i am on the clock and still getting paid for it, i dont mind cleaning. Now i know they dont expect us to clock out and then clean so thats fine with me. The gum situation i would think is a little more difficult than most of us want it to be, using some sort of spray, scraper and then cleaning the area so no one on the ride tries to eat anything from the newly cleaned area and then gets poisoned, There really isnt enough time for that.

Ride Ops do a very good job cleaning their rides at night, and then spot sweeping and checking in the morning to make sure their rides and lines are clean and ready for Open. Checking Bars all day is tiring enough, i just dont feel like we should then be responsible for having to clean throughout the day.

I already said I worked on TRTR for two seasons. I also worked on FoF for two seasons. I constantly tried to stay as long as I could to clean those queues and the theming. If you paid attention in 2003, all the gum on the tv screens inside the hangar disappeared in one day...that's because I climbed up and picked it off myself by hand. The reason there was still so much trash everywhere else is because management will not allow you stay very long after the park closes. They care more about the extra money they're losing on the extra time you're working than the quality of your work.

The reason I still go to the park regularly is to visit all my friends/former coworkers. Other than that, I go when I'm really really bored. I used to love that place, but after seeing what's happened to everything this year, it's just depressing. And yes, while I worked there, I constantly stated to many people in charge of the park what needed to be improved. If those concerns were adressed to someone like Siebert, I was merely dismissed with different variations of the "we're working on it" answer. When it was just to my immediate managers, I generally got no response other than a laugh, and once, my personal favorite, "we've spent enough money on this ride" (regarding TRTR, back in 2004).

So please, when you say the employees really need to start cleaning better, that's an insult to the few people who are actually concerned like myself. True, many people don't care, they just want to clock out and leave at the end of the day, but there are some who really want to help the place, but management simply won't let them.

Actually, from what Ive heard, ride ops are not allowed on the saucer. Probabily due to the fact that there are no tie off points, and that its probabily made of particle board.

And back in 2003, we went "Tomb Raiding" every night to get the garbage that guests threw down there.