When is enough, enough?

Erosarrow05

Yes, the Nick Parade and School of Rock will be the highlights of the entertainment department. But, years ago, the park would have three high quality shows, one in the Paramount Theater, one in the Festhaus, and one at International Showplace. In addition to that, they used to have roaming bands, such as the Kings Island Clown Band. Not unlike the roaming entertainment that they offered at WinterFest. WinterFest actually showed that the park still can put on good shows and entertainment. If only they would carry some of that over into the regular season (not just WinterFest and FearFest).

I will agree that the boards have been negative as of late, but we as enthusiats are not required to be positive all the time. Especially when we enjoy something as much as PKI and are watching things happen that we dont like to what we consider our park. I for one feel that PKIC is a great place for people to praise the good at PKI and to also vent frustration about the park or anything else.

I honestly think the majority would agree that this is a transition year, but we still want the best from our park. Especially as a seasson pass holder for so many years I feel that I have a right to expect a high level of upkeep, operations, and improvements. Afterall I spend a great deal of money at the park as do many other people here. I will admit I think SOB was and is a great addition, IJ:ST receives too much criticism, and Avatar saved face for the NU expansion. But I am quite unhappy with the level of upkeep with the themes on rides, the constant price increase, and what seems to be a maintence/staffing issue.

I have the right as does everyone else. Nobody ever said we must be fanboys 24/7

Yes, the Nick Parade and School of Rock will be the highlights of the entertainment department. But, years ago, the park would have three high quality shows, one in the Paramount Theater, one in the Festhaus, and one at International Showplace. In addition to that, they used to have roaming bands, such as the Kings Island Clown Band. Not unlike the roaming entertainment that they offered at WinterFest. WinterFest actually showed that the park still can put on good shows and entertainment. If only they would carry some of that over into the regular season (not just WinterFest and FearFest).

Actually there would be two shows in American Herritage Music Hall, there would be one show on Band Stand, Three Shows in International Showplace and one in Festhaus. At one time there used to be a show in Columbia Palace, a show at the WAH Ampitheater, the Puppet Tree House, At Salt Water Circus and roaming shows as well.

Back to you Uncle.

Yep, forgot about the Saltwater Circus site. That site is now used for one month they are open for a FearFest haunt. IMO, that location would be the perfect location for a wild mouse sized ride or a flat ride. That midway back there is dead and only used by people to get back to The Beast and TR:TR.

Yep, forgot about the Saltwater Circus site. That site is now used one month they are open for a FearFest haunt. IMO, that location would be the perfect location for a wild mouse sized ride or a flat ride. That midway back there is dead and only used to get back to The Beast and TR:TR.

Yeah, when Saltwater Circus ran it was actually pretty busy back in that area and of course the second entrance to the cars was right over there as well.

People tend to forget that Kings Island was huge with entertainment and it was usually the park that shows were tested out before moving to other parks.

Yep. In fact, Jack Rouse who was a Professor at UC`s CCM quit his job at UC to become director of the entertainment department and designing the new shows for the KECO parks. He was one of the executives from KECO that bought the parks from Taft before selling his interest to Carl Lindner in 1987. Ironically, he, like many other executives from Taft, has his own theme park design/consulting firm in Cincinnati. Others are Dennis Spiegal, in the news lately for the Purple People Bridge Climb, as well as Bruce D. Robinson Architectural Design.

Ironically, while Jack Rouse no longer is an employee of Paramount Parks, he still is doing work for them. Bubba Gump`s Shrimp Shack was designed by Jack Rouse & Associates. Also, Jack Rouse & Associates provided many of the thematic elements and designs for several of the attractions at this past year`s WinterFest including Holiday Illuminations and the White Christmas Express.

Indeed. Note, too, that nearly everyone in management at The Beach started at Kings Island. Kings Island and Coney Island before it have been key factors in the amusement park business for many, many years. All because of the great people that both have employed. From coaster construction to park design to marketing, the very best have worked for those two parks (and some of the worst, but that is the way life is!)

I mean its not like PKI is ALL bad. They do have Vortex and Avatar...and IJ is decent. Sure the coasters might be mediocre at best compared to CP, but thier still pretty fun. And you cant beat Skyline (screw pizza, I'm getting my cincy chili)

The Nickelodeon Parade is awesome. School of Rock looks dumb - but if you are into that sort of thing it might be interesting.

Here's an idea Klocke: Go see School of Rock once it opens and then decide whether or not it's dumb. Trust me, the concept may "look" dumb to you for one reason or another, but it's rare that anyone is displeased with the show at all.

I don't like Paramount's direction, hence why I haven't been since 04. There is nothing wrong with negative comments, it is when the comments are hypocritical that makes them redundant.

Are you saying that Shake Rattle & Roll isn't enough to get you to come back! Come on! ohmy.gif

I am a Troika enthusiast too. If they removed every ride except Shake, Rattle & Roll - I would still get a season pass to just ride it!

Are you saying that Shake Rattle & Roll isn't enough to get you to come back! Come on! ohmy.gif

I am a Troika enthusiast too. If they removed every ride except Shake, Rattle & Roll - I would still get a season pass to just ride it!

I do miss Orange #2 but sadly it isn't worth ... erm $100 or so to ride all season.

Every park has good rides and bad rides.

I can't believe that I'm hearing folk say that KI's rides are not as good as Cedar Point's or ANY other parks for that matter.

Most every park does have good rides and bad rides.

At SFOG, for example, the flat collection is very poor.

But, I MUST ask, when were you at Cedar Point last? Although there are many, many things I don't like about Cedar Point, there is no way I (or about anyone else I know who has been to both parks) would say that today's Kings Island has superior, or even equal, rides to those at Cedar Point.

Cedar Point has made clear what it is, a thrill park, aimed at ride enthusiasts. It is only natural that it would thus have what was, when built, the largest, tallest fastest coaster in the world. Several different times, in fact.

SFOG also had the tallest woodie in the world once.

And PKI still does.

Rides aren't everything, but they DO matter (more than some of the folks currently running Six Flags seem to understand).

For those who are so excited about the possibility of Cedar Fair buying Paramount's Kings Island, I have a few questions:

Ever been to Valleyfair? What'd you think of it?

Ever been to Michigan's Adventure? Shivering Timbers was put in by the prior owner. What major improvements and/or rides have been put in under Cedar Fair?

Ever ridden Thunderhawk at Dorney Park? What'd you think of the braking on that ride? How many major rides has Cedar Fair taken out while it has owned Dorney? What happened to Hercules?

Ever ridden the Superman impulse coaster at Six Flags Worlds of Adventure? Did you like that spike at the top and how the brake held you up there for a second? What has happened to that under Cedar Fair?

Why did Cedar Fair put Wicked Twister at Cedar Point? Do you think they still would have done so if they also owned the competition down the road at the time?

Why did Cedar Point put in MaXair? Do you think they still would have done so if the also owned the competition a bit further down the road?

What has happened to the atmosphere at Knott's Berry Farm since Cedar Fair acquired it? Who bought Ghost Rider (Hint: It was NOT Cedar Fair, unless you mean they bought it with the park, which they did).

Also, do you like paying separately to go to a waterpark? How much is Soak City?

How does Cedar Fair do parking?

How much does a Cedar Point season pass cost? Does it include, without additional charge, visits to Geauga Lake? Do you REALLY think you will be able to get in Cedar Point with a KI pass or vice versa? How long did that Cedar Point pass take to process? Could you process it before the park opened for the season, or did you have to wait until the year the pass was good for? (The Cedar Point pass processing line is quite often more than two hours...but then, the one at Paramount's Kings Island hasn't been short this year, either...but then KI hasn't had any off season processing this time either...)

Don't get me wrong, many things WOULD most likely improve under Cedar Fair, but others would no longer be as good as they were at KI under either KECO or Paramount...

Every potential new owner comes with pluses and minuses...but to think that glory days have arrived at Kings Island if Cedar Fair buys it is not necessarily the case. Especially since the acquisition may cause Cedar Fair difficulties in raising capital...difficulties like those seen at Six Flags. Money for rides? Sure. Money for general park improvements and maintenance was much more difficult to come by before Mr. Snyder stepped up to that plate.

Note, too, that Cedar Fair seems to realize this. This is probably why Mr. Kinzel noted an interest in ONE Paramount Park, not the chain. I wonder if acquisition of even the one isn't a bit more than CF can realistically chew.