Cedar Fair is at least Interested in PKI

CoastersRZ

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Cedar Fair has aquired the other 4 parks already and that their is a bidding war going on between Cedar Fair and Busch for Kings Island. If this is right, we shall see, I sure hope Busch wins. If Busch buys the park you will see: Better food, shopping, landscaping, theming, shows, some Clydesdales, a seperated gated waterpark, a great B&M and the ability to pay for your pass by the month. Please let Busch by the park. Cedar Fair is a good company but I am not for an amusement park monopoly in Ohio.

I like your ideas... If Bud really wants it they will get it. They have cashflow that will pretty much never end. Not to mention that CF won't have the cash to expand the park for a few years due the this large purchase. If they did buy all 5 parks, they are full of crap and getting way over their heads. I would hate to see all the parks go under due to bankruptcy, but then on the other hand, maybe it would be good. Kings Island would be half price and then maybe my uncle could afford it! laugh.gif

-adam12

Right now we have to get the parks back to the point that it's an all age experience again.

Currently, there would be no reason for my parents or grandparents - heck even some of my friends - to come to the park.

It used to be there was something for everyone. Now, if ya don't ride the rides - it's really not worth the admission.

Right now we have to get the parks back to the point that it's an all age experience again.

Currently, there would be no reason for my parents or grandparents - heck even some of my friends - to come to the park.

It used to be there was something for everyone. Now, if ya don't ride the rides - it's really not worth the admission.

VERY TRUE! I second that one!

I had a insider at Anheuser-Busch and as of a month ago there was no word of them wanting more parks. There is a better chance of their parks getting put on the block next than them buying KI. They been working on buying Rolling Rock for some time but nothing going around about parks.

My insider is no longer with Anheuser-Busch so things could have changed but I don't think so.

Yes to Kings Islands new owners bring back shows!!!! lots of them bring back the heyday and i think we could bring admission up to 4 million plus!

also more dark very mild everyone can ride rides like our beloved phantom theatre etc. More like disney!!! everybody can ride rides:

Yes to Kings Islands new owners bring back shows!!!! lots of them bring back the heyday and i think we could bring admission up to 4 million plus!

also more dark very mild everyone can ride rides like our beloved phantom theatre etc. More like disney!!! everybody can ride rides:

Bring back shows? Where have you been, School of Rock and toy factory last year could not only rival but trump ANY show any Cedar Fair park has to offer. The heydey? Kings Island is more popular now than it ever has been. Everybody can ride rides? Thats pretty much the goal of the park now, a family park with something for everyone, like the italian job, designed with family in mind.

I had a insider at Anheuser-Busch and as of a month ago there was no word of them wanting more parks. There is a better chance of their parks getting put on the block next than them buying KI. They been working on buying Rolling Rock for some time but nothing going around about parks.

My insider is no longer with Anheuser-Busch so things could have changed but I don't think so.

Why are you citing a source that is so "In The Know" that he no longer works for the company?

Bring back shows? Where have you been, School of Rock and toy factory last year could not only rival but trump ANY show any Cedar Fair park has to offer. The heydey? Kings Island is more popular now than it ever has been. Everybody can ride rides? Thats pretty much the goal of the park now, a family park with something for everyone, like the italian job, designed with family in mind.

Uhhh, no.

The park used to be for everyone. Grandparents, Parents, College Age Kids or whatever.

The shows were a huge part of that and that is a huge part that is for the most part gone.

I don't know that I totally agree with that. I really don't know anyone who goes to a park to see the shows. They go for the rides! If I wanted to see a show, I would go to a theatre or concert area, not to an amusement park. Unless it was one of those shows they do at Timberwolf, in which case that costs extra anyway.

Now PKI's may not have as many shows now than they used to, but that doesn't mean there isn't something to do for everyone. That may be the case if you go by yourself, but isn't the fun of going to the park enjoying it with other people? That's were there's something for everyone.

Parents and grandparents go to the park to have fun with their kids. NU has great rides for enjoying with the whole family. I know when my grandparents came to the park, they just had fun riding the kiddie rides with my younger siblings and even sometimes just watching them have fun on the rides. Rides like SDATHC, both carousels, the Eiffel Tower, Sporticopters, WWC, and Wild Thornberrys are really rides that most everyone can enjoy together. Then there's the step up from all that with rides like Reptar, IJ:ST, AE, Monster, Scrambler, Shake Rattle and Roll, Bumper Cars, ect., ect. Hey, my grandpa even rode IJ:ST. biggrin.gif

I just don't see how there's not something to do for everyone at the park. PKI has established themselves as an amusement park, not a theatre. Not that the shows they do offer aren't great, but shows aren't their main attraction, rides are. smile.gif

Why are you citing a source that is so "In The Know" that he no longer works for the company?

Because he was there up to a month ago.

Uhhh, no.

The park used to be for everyone. Grandparents, Parents, College Age Kids or whatever.

The shows were a huge part of that and that is a huge part that is for the most part gone.

Again, School of Rock, Santa's Toy Factory? The Parade?

Wooferbear, you keep saying the same things over and over, and the things you say just aren't true. The entertainment department at the park is awesome now, much better than years past.

Again, School of Rock, Santa's Toy Factory? The Parade?

Wooferbear, you keep saying the same things over and over, and the things you say just aren't true. The entertainment department at the park is awesome now, much better than years past.

Uncle Henry how can you even compare the two?

Hands down the best show that has ever been produced by any park in this chain was Celebration. Encore was a close second.

And if you think that Santa's Toy Factory is new, it isn't. It's basically a Rehash of a show that was at Winterfest years ago. And ya know what? There were even multiple shows at Winterfest. Scrooge's house and Home For The Holidays in Festhaus.

There used to be entertainment AT EVERY TURN. Every portion of the park had live entertainment.

Those venues were filled for EVERY Show. The entertainment department now is a shell of what it used to be. I can't even imagine that there is even an arguement there?

So don't tell me that it wasn't popular.

When was the last time you visited PKI, WooferBear? Not that I'm questioning how right you are about how many old shows they had, but I want to know how much you've been to or seen the current ones?

I don't know a thing about them myself. The last time I saw a show at PKI was at least 3-4 years ago. I'm just not much of a show person. That's probably becuase I don't get to the park a lot, so when I do visit, I squeeze in all the possible rides I can get.

When was the last time you visited PKI, WooferBear? Not that I'm questioning how right you are about how many old shows they had, but I want to know how much you've been to or seen the current ones?

I don't know a thing about them myself. The last time I saw a show at PKI was at least 3-4 years ago. I'm just not much of a show person. That's probably becuase I don't get to the park a lot, so when I do visit, I squeeze in all the possible rides I can get.

Last August was the last time I was at the park.

I'm at the park about 2 times a year.

I've been to the park on a regular basis since I first obtained a season pass.

My first pass was when I was 13 years old. (That's about 25 years in WooferBear years.)

So yeah, I know the history pretty well.

Wow, we don't have shows covering the park from one end to the other. I cannot name a SINGLE park that still does. The only exeption might be Dollywood, but thats just because the namesake is a country singer. Parks nowadays realize that the rides come first in the minds of guests, and shows come second. Yes, shows are importaint, but seriously, who goes to an amusement park thinking, "Boy, I sure am excited to see that new show!" Most guests think, "Boy, I sure am excited to ride that ride!" and then if they have time, they go see the show.

Yes, compared to the entertainment when the park opened, the entertainment dept may not be as good, but thats probably because shows aren't in the minds of guests as much anymore.

So basically, stop comparing PKI to old PKI, but rather compare PKI to other parks. Times change, and I'm sorry that you can't realize that.

Funny you mention that parks don't do that.

Six Flags Over Georgia is running more shows right now in preseason than PKI will be running all year.

My BF was talking with a guy last night that is designing the costumes for Snoopy on Ice at Cedar Point.

Both of the Busch Parks still put an emphacis on entertainment.

Seems that there is still a focus on shows.

I'm with the people who want CedarFair to buy PKI. They've got a great track record with Cedar Point (hundreds of awards, quality top-notch rides) and I think they'd be the best ones, especially since their only business is amusement parks.

I don't really see why Anheuser-Busch would be interested in King's Island - it doesn't really fit in with their current offerings - two Busch Gardens parks (nice rides, but both parks also have wildlife conservation programs and wildlife exhibits), two waterparks (each of which is conveniently located near a Busch Gardens park), Sesame Place (Sesame Street themed kiddie park in Pennsylvania), three SeaWorlds, Discovery Cove (a tropical getaway designed to teach kids all about the ocean and sea life through a unique hands-on experience) and KingsMill Resort and Spa (conveniently located in Williamsburg, Virginia - not far from Busch Gardens...).

I really can't imagine that anyone would spend the money to purchase the park and then keep Paramount Theming.

That's like McDonalds buying Wendy's and keeping it as a Wendy's.

I understand your train of thought, but I don't think the concept is unfeasable. Why not own your competition? That's kind of a win-win situation really.

In response to those of you who are saying that they'll drop the Paramount name, I wouldn't count on that. I'm not saying that they'll probably remain PKI, I'm just saying that we simply don't know. If PP were to be bought out by an investment group, I wouldn't be shocked at all to still see the paramount name on the parks.

Yes, if an investment firm buys Paramount Parks, they will likely own the PP, but keep the name the same. Similar to how PP is now owned by CBS instead of Viacom after their merger this past year.

However, if Cedar Fair were to buy PKI, I think it would be safe to say that the 'P' would be dropped from the name. Additionally, the park would probably get a new logo withough the infamous stars and mountain.

Funny you mention that parks don't do that.

Six Flags Over Georgia is running more shows right now in preseason than PKI will be running all year.

My BF was talking with a guy last night that is designing the costumes for Snoopy on Ice at Cedar Point.

Both of the Busch Parks still put an emphacis on entertainment.

Seems that there is still a focus on shows.

So what if you talked with a guy who designs the costumes? Does that mean the show is good? That's like me saying I talked with the lighting designer for School of Rock, and then that somehow disproves all of your points.

When you make an argument, make it actually prove your point...

So what if you talked with a guy who designs the costumes? Does that mean the show is good? That's like me saying I talked with the lighting designer for School of Rock, and then that somehow disproves all of your points.

Point is that yes many parks do still focus on entertainment.

This is an area that Paramount should never have been able to conceid to any other park.

It's not good that an Entertainment Entity does not do Entertainment.

Point Made ..... One Again.

This is an area that Paramount should never have been able to conceid to any other park.

My point was that you saying you talked with the guy who did the costumes at CP did not prove your point. You just restated the same argument again with no proof.

Stop acting like Bush and making claims that you cannot back up with proof.

My point was that you saying you talked with the guy who did the costumes at CP did not prove your point. You just restated the same argument again with no proof.

Stop acting like Bush and making claims that you cannot back up with proof.

Cedar Point:

Extreme Splash 2006

Charlie Brown's Funtime Frolics

Divine Divas

Livin' In America

DJ's at Millenium Force and Raptor

Rock the House

Snoopy's Sing Along and Summer Vacation

Then of Course Roaming Characters

Busch Gardens Europa:

American Jukebox

Emerald Beat

Holiday in Roma

Kinetix

Starlight Orchestra

This is Oktoberfest

Pet Shenanigans

Shall I go on with more examples?

After thinking about it a bit, I'm thinking Herschend (Dollywood's company) would be the best one to buy the park over any that I've seen mentioned. Here are a few things I'm guessing would happen with each chain.

Herschend - Good - Adds a new attraction every year (and not just an attraction, a quality attraction), well themed everywhere, keeps the focus on both family and thrill seekers, brings in a bunch of quality shows, would not ruin the charm of the park (might even make it better), would probably keep NU, and would probably bring back some of what KI used to be.

Bad - I haven't thought of anything yet. laugh.gif

Busch - Good -Much emphasis on theming, family and thrill rides, great atmosphere, quality shows

Bad - New attrations only come every 3 years or so, unknown if they would keep NU

Universal - Good - Even more emphasis on theming, family and thrill rides, keep some of the movies in the park, would definately keep NU

Bad - but only add new attractions every 5 or more years it seems

Cedar Fair - Good - Both family and thrill rides, KI might get it's first B&M

Bad - Not much emphasis on theming, don't always add news attraction each year, Cedar Point would always get the better quality attractions since that's the chain's favorite park, might get rid of NU, KI would lose much of it's great atmosphere and charm to the plain, regular midways of Cedar Fair, season pass prices would probably be higher if you wanted a CP or possibly GL addon.

It seems to me that Herschend would be the best thing for PKI, and Cedar Fair would probably be the worst. And I'm not counting Six Flags, who knows, if their new management keeps up, they might be better than CF. But I don't want to take that chance yet. tongue.gif

I just don't understand how everyone thinks CF will be the savior of the park with all the stuff they would do to it. And even if KI does end up getting more coasters, who knows if they will be good quality, and they probably wouldn't be very unique. From what I've heard, things like Hydra, Silver Bullet, and Patriot, wouldn't be the type of things that would restore the park to it's former greatness. But things like Thunderhead, Powder Keg, and this new mine thing Dollywood's adding for '07 would.

The only problem the only interested party we know about is CF, and I dearly hope they aren't the only one.

I just want to make a side note here; I highly doubt Busch is even slightly interested in Paramount Parks. They would have to change the parks around so much to get them up to Busch standards it would be an utter waste of money. I know many of you would love to have a Busch park as your home, but I just don't see them as wanting to expand.

After thinking about it a bit, I'm thinking Herschend (Dollywood's company) would be the best one to buy the park over any that I've seen mentioned.  Here are a few things I'm guessing would happen with each chain.

Herschend - Good - Adds a new attraction every year (and not just an attraction, a quality attraction), well themed everywhere, keeps the focus on both family and thrill seekers, brings in a bunch of quality shows, would not ruin the charm of the park (might even make it better), would probably keep NU, and would probably bring back some of what KI used to be.

Bad - I haven't thought of anything yet. laugh.gif

Busch - Good -Much emphasis on theming, family and thrill rides, great atmosphere, quality shows

Bad - New attrations only come every 3 years or so, unknown if they would keep NU

Universal - Good - Even more emphasis on theming, family and thrill rides, keep some of the movies in the park, would definately keep NU

Bad - but only add new attractions every 5 or more years it seems

Cedar Fair - Good - Both family and thrill rides, KI might get it's first B&M

Bad - Not much emphasis on theming, don't always add news attraction each year, Cedar Point would always get the better quality attractions since that's the chain's favorite park, might get rid of NU, KI would lose much of it's great atmosphere and charm to the plain, regular midways of Cedar Fair, season pass prices would probably be higher if you wanted a CP or possibly GL addon.

It seems to me that Herschend would be the best thing for PKI, and Cedar Fair would probably be the worst.  And I'm not counting Six Flags, who knows, if their new management keeps up, they might be better than CF.  But I don't want to take that chance yet. tongue.gif

I just don't understand how everyone thinks CF will be the savior of the park with all the stuff they would do to it.  And even if KI does end up getting more coasters, who knows if they will be good quality, and they probably wouldn't be very unique.  From what I've heard, things like Hydra, Silver Bullet, and Patriot, wouldn't be the type of things that would restore the park to it's former greatness.  But things like Thunderhead, Powder Keg, and this new mine thing Dollywood's adding for '07 would.

The only problem the only interested party we know about is CF, and I dearly hope they aren't the only one.

Dollywood has 24 shows not counting the 10 they offer at Christmas! You have to wonder... WHY IS THAT SO HARD?!?!?!? I hope they do buy the park. From what I remeber when I was there 3 or 4 years ago their theming and landscaping is very nice.

-adam12 cowboy.gif