Guest faceoff

If Cedar Fair buys pki,how many people think we will see new coasters like

millennium force,dragster,wicked twister type coasters at pki? How about a

b&m? What does everybody think? smile.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really hard to say. It all comes down to the demographic. People go to CP because they know it's a big thrill park while PKI seems to bank on the notion that they have a lot of season passholders and their organic growth would stem from keeping them in the park longer. It's really two totally different worlds.

Umm, hasn`t Cedar Fair been doing some major upgrades to their waterpark? Most of Cedar Fair`s parks have added a major roller coaster in the last couple of years. Dorney Park, Worlds of Fun, Knott`s Berry Farm have all added a B&M coaster in the last several years. It sure would be nice if PKI were to get one of their creations sometime in the near future.

Guest faceoff

Cedar Fair has added new attractions to the wildwater kingdom waterpark

in a two year project. The second year was cut back some(i believe because

crowds were not as expected). I have heard nothing about new rides.

Many people do not realize Cedar Point is not Cedar Fair. People look at Cedar Point and think Cedar Fair must be great. Well, I can tell you from experience, Cedar Point is the exception for the company. Michigan's Adventure (a Cedar Fair park) is terrible. Knott's Berry Farm is a pretty decent park, but I feel they only get new rides because of how far away from Cedar Point they are. I fear that if Cedar Fair buys PP, PKI will become a side project like Geagua Lake. While it is impossible to know what their plans are, I am slightly worried that if they do buy PP, it will start PKI on a downturn.

GL has received a very impressive water park upgrade not to mention the complete overhaul of management and staffing. CF had to completely change the way GL opperated because of the SixFlags mindset the park was previously opperating under. Also GL received 4 major coasters not to long ago so that was not a major need of the park.

CF would perform the same transition at KI, but I beleive a new coaster would happen very quickly because KI is nowhere near the shape GL was in once acquire by CF. KI would almost be guranteed either a B&M or Intamin creation because of the tremendous relationship CF has with those two companies.

p.s. have you ever been to Worlds of Fun or Valleyfair? They have received some great rides recently and are some very well opperated parks. They may not have the rides that CP does, but they still provide a great guest experience.

Like others said, if Cedar Fair does buy KI, NOTHING is certain. Assuming this does happen, KI will be their second biggest park, over 3 million visitors/year, so it will be fitting to invest greatly into this park - large steel like B&M, other thrill rides, and some family attractions in between - probably equivalent to or more than even Paramount has done in the past approx. 13 seasons.

Now, when they took over Michigan's Adventure in 2001, the only really appealing thing about the place was Shivering Timbers, which the Jourdens put in in 1998. Otherwise, besides a small selection of rides, the pathways, buildings, and landscaping were sub-par. These were things CF, as new owner, slowly added, the necessary quality infrastructure. For this season, they have added the Coasters Drive-In and the Grand Rapids river rapids ride - the biggest investment in the park's history. They didn't go crazy and sink in monumental attractions in just a few years, like Six Flags did to (what's now Geauga Lake)- but slowly add and improve things as attendance grew. From my 2004 visit there, I felt it's a park that is getting better as time goes by.

Dorney Park, CF property since 1992, grew from an older, worn park to a modern amusement park within almost 14 years: as they added a Morgan hyper, 2 B&M's, several thrill rides, expanded Wildwater Kingdom, and revamped the atmosphere.

Geuaga Lake was simply grown too fast as SFWOA, at the expense of guest service, which CF is trying hard to correct through reversing attendance levels that plummeted. The crowds may never reach their highs in 2000 or 2001, but things will hopefully become more consistent. Eventually, a new coaster will be added, even if it's at the expense of another. And like CoastersRZ said, Wildwater Kingdom is nothing to sneeze at.

Overall, growth amongst the parks is good to attract guests, but it needs to be sustainable, safe, and healthy.

Working with Geuaga Lake and KI will not be the same. They will not have to bring KI back from the dead. I think you will see them put in what KI has be missing. They will need to keep attendance up because they will not make it if it turns out like Geuaga Lake.

I hope we get a deal on season passes. I think that could be one of the big wins for us.

Guest faceoff

If Cedar Fair does buy pki,expect to see the end of free parking if purchasing

a season pass before the end of the current season. Parking would be included

on the pass,but at a additional cost. I have a combo pass for cp and gl, that

includes parking at cp and for $10 more includes parking at gl. smile.gif

I don't think that Six Flags passes are high at all.

On top of it, I can take my pass and use it at any park in the chain.

Have you noted what has happened to the price of Six Flags Season Passes since you bought yours?

They have gone up, and are going to go up a few more times, or so I have been led to believe.

Mr. Snyder thinks the current price of passes is waaay too low.

Have you noted what has happened to the price of Six Flags Season Passes since you bought yours?

They have gone up, and are going to go up a few more times, or so I have been led to believe.

Mr. Snyder thinks the current price of passes is waaay too low.

It's still only $69.99 and you get admission to basically all the parks.

I think that's still quite a value.

It varies from park to park. At Great Adventure, it's up to 99.95, not including parking, already. And season pass parking is now $40 there, last I checked.

When you go to another Six Flags park, you pay for parking, which is 15 dollars at most of the Flags parks now.

Yeah

I have the parking pass as well. The thing that is bad about the parking pass is that I have to drive the Jeep and can't just run up to the park on the motorcycle.

I bet it varies per park too as you have to put your zip code in when ordering the pass on line.

...and if you don't live within 300 miles of the park, you CANNOT buy your Six Flags pass on line. Still, no one outdoes Cedar Fair in making pass purchasing inconvenient...though Disney is by far the most expensive.

Let me say this. Pass sales and processing is one thing Paramount did better than anyone else in the industry, in my opinion.

Well, at least in PKI`s case, season pass sales account for a large portion of their attendance. They rely on their season passes to get people through the gates. Once through the gates they are banking that these guests will spend money on food, merchandise and games. Why else would PKI offer so may Gold Pass perks? They are trying to get pass holders to come to the park more often, and stay for longer amounts of time, thuse spending more money in the park.

I think the coasters at PKI are good enough and if CF has a problem with that then they can get over it and live.

that would be nice if your gold pass could also be used at CP.. lord knows CP ticket prices are as High as Top Thrill Dragster and to camp there.. oh lord.

I think the coasters at PKI are good enough and if CF has a problem with that then they can get over it and live.

that would be nice if your gold pass could also be used at CP.. lord knows CP ticket prices are as High as Top Thrill Dragster and to camp there.. oh lord.

Can coasters ever be "good enough"? wink.gif I know what you're saying. Don't fix something that isn't broken, right? I agree that CP passes are expensive, but with the add-ons, it's not so bad. Six Flags has cheaper season passes for sure, but the parks aren't as great. Where did you camp at CP? I need a place to camp there.

lord knows CP ticket prices are as High as Top Thrill Dragster and to camp there.. oh lord.

CP ticket prices high?!?!?

They just LOWERED prices this year...

...tickes to Cedar Point are *cheaper* than KI's. (Just trying to get used to typing it without the "P") tongue.gif

GL *had* one. tongue.gif

Mr. Hyde left the park after last season.

and in all honesty, I don't think it'd be worth it to move Demon Drop to another park. For one, we already have Drop Zone, which is similar enough...and I don't think the GP would really enjoy a creepy ride from the 80's. Demon Drop is one ride that scares the CRAP outta me, simply because it's so old and rickety.

But one question still bugs me:

Can we at least be certain that CF will maintain and upkeep Paramount Parks' themed attractions (Survivor, IJ:ST, Tomb Raider, Hollywood Stunt Spectacular, etc.)? From what I've heard, Cedar Point's Disaster Transport is utter crap now. Will this mean they won't even bother to fix what was wrong with the effects on TR:TR, IJ:ST, and FOF?