It's official - CF to buy Paramount Parks.

Maestro

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite happy, too. I really hope that there's some great season pass breaks now that they've bought KI too. Those of us that have to travel so far to the parks really appreciate a break where ever we can get one. The gas prices are choking the joy out of traveling, so at least this would give one more incentive.

YES!!!!

I can't say how excited I am about this!  OMFG

Expect things to start improving ALOT.  But don't expect any new rides just yet...  It will take a few years for them to bring the park back up to a decent state from where it is now.

Decent state? PKI already is at a decent state. If it wasn't, then why did more people visit PKI than CP?

Go jump in a lake, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Ha! and neither do you.

I know this might seem dumb but the biggest thing I am worried about is Fearfest! If they'll downgrade it or make it better? I see Fearfest actually not changing at all from last year... then maybe CF will start to improve it so that it is comparible to Knott's Scary Farm! I am so NERVOUS for KI right now! -Hauntguy

Which was a reason why I didn't want CF buying Kings Island. I doubt anyone knew about this, but Geauga Lake had a Halloween event of their own named the Halloween Haunt (as a nod to KBF's Haunt) that had its first-year run last year. Unfortunately, the higher-ups decided to axe the event after last year because they believed the HH would stray too many people from HalloWeekends at Cedar Point.

Pretty much, CF's Halloween events run exactly the same as Cedar Point being their flagship park--Knott's Scary Farm is the flagship Halloween event and the other events lack in KSF's amazing attention to detail and number of mazes (HalloWeekends has an astounding THREE mazes...make that two now that White Water Landing is gone).

Which is why I was originally rooting for CF to buy the parks, because I figured that the guys who made the Halloween Haunt amazing would help make our FearFest one-of-a-kind.....until I saw what they did with CP's HalloWeekends and getting rid of GL's Haunt.

Don't believe me (I know I don't make any sense right now)? Look up pictures of both Knott's Scary Farm and HalloWeekends, and see where the money and attention to detail go.

(HalloWeekends has an astounding THREE mazes...make that two now that White Water Landing is gone).

It will still be there that is THUNDER CANYON the WWC type ride not WWL it's the canoe log flume ride.

WWL = gone

Thunder canyon = still running (its called wear wolf canyon for halloweekends)

Remember, WWL just recently got torn down so CP can start up on their 2007 project. And yes, WWL was a maze, known as WEREwolf Canyon. They pretty much used the ride portion of it so guests could walk through its trench and get the crap scared out of them by werewolves.

EDIT: Oh, NOW you decide to edit your post, TOPGUN. rolleyes.gif

YES!!!!

Expect things to start improving ALOT.  But don't expect any new rides just yet...  It will take a few years for them to bring the park back up to a decent state from where it is now.

Decent state? PKI already is at a decent state. If it wasn't, then why did more people visit PKI than CP?

Ha! and neither do you.

I will give you this... I'm thankful that Paramount kept Kings Island afloat and didn't run it completely into the ground just to make a few bucks. I guess you could say that I have more sprit than I do business sense. I believe you can have both, I would rather take less profit and make Kings Island the best it can be.

You all can say what you want, but Kings Island is a very original idea and is nothing like any other amusement park. How many other parks do you know of that had their own employees create a roller coaster? Not just any roller coaster, but The Beast!

I don't know for sure, but I bet Cedar Fair puts Kings Island back on the map as an amusement park (like CP) as it was meant to be. I remember going to KI when I was a kid and my dad telling me the difference between Kings Island and Disney World. He told me that I wouldn't like Disney as much as KI because they don't have large rides; they are a theme park. There are 2 reasons why Paramount made a sorry attempt to change Kings Island into a theme park; they wanted to promote all their shows/movies and it is cheaper.

-adam12

While I do have my concerns about what direction CF might be taking KI, I think this could be a good or bad thing. One thing that makes me wonder about what they're going to do to some of the themed rides (IE Tomb Raider, IJ, among others). As far as I know, CF doesn't really have a good track record when it comes to that. I think Disaster Transport is a perfect example of attempting to theme, and abrubptly failing.

Other than that... I think it's a halfway decent idea. Let's just hope they try to listen to the communities surrounding each park, and take it to heart.

~S~

YES!!!!

Ha! and neither do you.

I will give you this... I'm thankful that Paramount kept Kings Island afloat and didn't run it completely into the ground just to make a few bucks. I guess you could say that I have more sprit than I do business sense. I believe you can have both, I would rather take less profit and make Kings Island the best it can be.

You all can say what you want, but Kings Island is a very original idea and is nothing like any other amusement park. How many other parks do you know of that had their own employees create a roller coaster? Not just any roller coaster, but The Beast!

I don't know for sure, but I bet Cedar Fair puts Kings Island back on the map as an amusement park (like CP) as it was meant to be. I remember going to KI when I was a kid and my dad telling me the difference between Kings Island and Disney World. He told me that I wouldn't like Disney as much as KI because they don't have large rides; they are a theme park. There are 2 reasons why Paramount made a sorry attempt to change Kings Island into a theme park; they wanted to promote all their shows/movies and it is cheaper.

-adam12

Um... wasn't PKI the most visited seasonal park in USA last season? I think they were allready on the map...

Remember, WWL just recently got torn down so CP can start up on their 2007 project. And yes, WWL was a maze, known as WEREwolf Canyon. They pretty much used the ride portion of it so guests could walk through its trench and get the crap scared out of them by werewolves.

EDIT: Oh, NOW you decide to edit your post, TOPGUN.  rolleyes.gif

Oh really? Last time I checked "WEREwolf Canyon" was located in the trench of Thunder Canyon which is still open at CP.

YES!!!!

Ha! and neither do you.

-adam12

Um... wasn't PKI the most visited seasonal park in USA last season? I think they were allready on the map...

Exactly, Paramount was cheap? THey invested more money into the park and put in high class attractions each year. Im sure if you were in charge of a business you wouldnt run it for money but because you like fun, note the sarcasm there. Your probably 14 and have no idea how a business particuarly an amusement park is run besides your limited roller coaster tycoon knowledge. Put PKI back on the map? PKI beat CP in attendance. If PKI was as bad as you make it out to be then Cedar Fair would have bought it but due to the fact thats its a world class, magnificant, and well run park, it was worth the money spend to aquire it and its sister parks.

This is how I like to think of the whole thing...

Listen to the following music while you read.

mmm, the smell of cedar! Recently a Cedar Tree has been caught in the area near Kings Island. All the commotion near PKI grew and rumors began spreading around on why the tree was there. The tree grew and grew and people began to make guesses what it was doing there. Was the tree going to spread its seeds into PKI? This all came from fiction to fact; the seed was planted at Kings Island and should be a fully grown Cedar Tree in September! People have mixed feelings about the growth of this tree in PKI. Many say it does not belong, some say that there are too many Cedars in the state of Ohio, but others think the new cedar tree will sprout into something great. Now I at first questioned the cedar tree and its presence here but I soon welcomed it after I thought down to think about it. All the Sap from the tree could make our land (PKI) a better place. The Tree Sap from the Cedar tree has had a great mixture of wonderful things that have made people happy and I for one know that this tree sap will be Kings Islands Nectar. When one tree is sucked dry of its nectar, the bugs search for a new source, in this case it is the cedar tree. The new tree will bring a new taste to the bugs and have something they never had before.

The new tree is growing and when it sprouts in September we will sure be in for a new taste of what we know as Paramount Kings Island!

The Mountain snow has melted and spring is blooming on our beloved summit, and in the place of where snow once glistened a Cedar Tree has grown!

Im unsure of the whole name change and what that will bring but I don't think we will nedd to be worried about any change to the name "Kings Island". If anything Cedar Fair will want to keep that name just drop the Paramount, they may add some title before like Cedar Fairs Kings Island but I think Kings Island is just fine.

...with Canada's Wonderland raking in the most people in the world, I believe.

Or not, but I don't remember.

Yeah PKI was #1 in the USA, and PCW was ranked #1 in North America with about 15 other mega themed Disney and Universal type parks taking the other top spots.

...with Canada's Wonderland raking in the most people in the world, I believe.

Or not, but I don't remember.

Yeah PKI was #1 in the USA, and PCW was ranked #1 in North America with about 15 other mega themed Disney and Universal type parks taking the other top spots.

Uh, no.

Tops for SEASONAL parks, yes.

But those "other" top spots were actually THE top spots.

YES!!!!

Ha! and neither do you.

-adam12

Exactly, Paramount was cheap? THey invested more money into the park and put in high class attractions each year. Im sure if you were in charge of a business you wouldnt run it for money but because you like fun, note the sarcasm there. Your probably 14 and have no idea how a business particuarly an amusement park is run besides your limited roller coaster tycoon knowledge. Put PKI back on the map? PKI beat CP in attendance. If PKI was as bad as you make it out to be then Cedar Fair would have bought it but due to the fact thats its a world class, magnificant, and well run park, it was worth the money spend to aquire it and its sister parks.

Just a guess, but I bet I was riding roller coasters when you were just a twinkle in your parents eyes. I look toward the future when it comes to investing, same goes when thinking about a business. I don't think of the here and now near as much as I think about down the road.

Have you started your Roth IRA yet? How about contributing to your 401K? Do you own your home? A home is a great investment, not the best but it is a great place to put your money besides your retirement or mutual fund. How about debt? Do you have much debt? Do you have good debt or bad debt? Do you visit Check into Cash or Check Exchange very often? How about car loans? What interest rate do you have on your car? I prefer to pay cash for my cars; it isn't wise to owe money on something that is depreciating in value. How about school loans? I would love to hear what you have to say...

I know the business world and how it works, I also have a heart and when it comes to business I'm 110% focused on the customer and what could possibly make them happier and make them want to spend more money. It isn't always about the bottom line, that will get you into trouble fast! Call in the bean counters; they will REALLY bring in the customers! YEE HAW! GIT-R-DONE! RACK’EM STACK’EM and PACK’EM! That works in the short term, but how about 5 or 10 years down the road? It wouldn’t look pretty once people saw the total and utter lack of customer focus and investment.

I'm sure anyone that has been in customer service before will agree with me, a little kindness and appreciation for the customer will go a long way. And that includes thinking about your guest's comfort at amusement parks. High priced food, dirty sidewalks, lack of entertainment, and bad customer service isn’t going to cut it. I have yet to have an employee come up to me and ask me how my day is going and if there is anything they can help me with since Paramount bought the park. This always happens at Disney, Bush Gardens, and Universal. The only time Kings Island employees talk to me is when they want to take my picture and charge me a pile of money for it. No one smiles at Kings Island anymore, and they have good reasons not to!

-adam12

at 12:01 last night, received a proxy from the Cedar Fair, LP investment news department. "Cedar Fair Board of Directors to announce 1.2 Billion Dollar acquisition in morning press conference. So my mind thinks.... hmmmm, who could that be.

So, if you can't beat the competition, buy them. (USAir buys Piedmont Airlines, WWE buys WCW, etc....) healthy competition absolved into one larger corp. I wonder what will become of many things. Like, when CF took over Worlds of Adventure..... why didn't they keep the WoF moniker and go back to Gauega Lake? Did the licensing not come with it or did CF seek to restore the GL legacy? don't know. If the latter is true, and I think it may be more the case, some of the traditional King Island items may return. More characters walking park (not just in NU), maybe even a return of the old logo. The sale is seeking to complete in the 3rd qtr.... so that means July-Sept. I could see the Paramount being dropped from the name as fast as it got added. Outside of Nick... does anyone see CF picking up the theming on everything else? No reason, but I don't. I see re-theming of the movie themes over the winter. I have nothing to base that on, just an opinion. Also it will be nice in the fact that when we get a good ride/coaster there won't be a cookie-cutter version at a sister park. If I'm not mistaken, the other CF parks do not have "clone" coasters at other parks.

By and large... a positive for KI

Just a side note though. Cleanliness of the park does not have much to do with Paramount Parks.... that's a local issue.