Cedar Fair Purchases Paramount Parks!

I just got to thinking something. If PKI just spent all of that moneyon NU, then what if CF comes in there and changes it alll to like Snoopy Stuff. It will change the whole enviornment and PKI would have wasted a lot of money decorating for NU.

• Like 1

NU didn't cost as much as you think.

I guarantee you that CP spent more money on Skyhawk than PKI did on NU.

That's not a slap to PKI, rather it shows that PPI can be pretty crafty in budgeting tightly to overhaul an entire area.

Nick is too lucrative an entity to drop. CF will keep the licensing... it's part of what sealed the deal and enticed CF in the first place.

Shaggy

Good because i dont think i could handle a Charlie Brown or Camp Snoopy theming.

Why Not? I think Camp Snoopy would be better than what we got yeah NU is nice but I rather see Snoopy & Charlie Brown roaming the park and I'm sure we will sooner or later.

NU didn't cost as much as you think.

I guarantee you that CP spent more money on Skyhawk than PKI did on NU.

That's not a slap to PKI, rather it shows that PPI can be pretty crafty in budgeting tightly to overhaul an entire area.

Shaggy

Wow. Less than six million to revamp the entire area? That is impressive, especially when considering the return on investment the park is already seeing, but it makes you think what could have been done with a larger budget.

Good because i dont think i could handle a Charlie Brown or Camp Snoopy theming.

Why Not? I think Camp Snoopy would be better than what we got yeah NU is nice but I rather see Snoopy & Charlie Brown roaming the park and I'm sure we will sooner or later.

Seeing the coming of Snoopy would almost make up for the loss of the HB Theming.

I'm all for that and the sooner the better.

That's the funny thing... wheras you and I know and love things like Huckleberry Hound, Snagglepuss, Quick Draw McGraw and the Banana Splits... kids today have little to no inkling of them.

Heck, outside of watching "The Great Pumpkin" each year, I really doubt that kids are intimately familiar with Snoopy and the gang. Prior to Snoopy, CP actually dropped the Berenstein (sp?) Bears a number of years ago to replace it with the Peanuts franchise. (And wasn't that only because CF bought out the Camp Snoopy chain?)

As much as I love and cherish the HB characters and theming I grew up with, and as much as I hated seeing that dissapear from the parks over the years, I guess I look at it through a kids eyes.

Kids who love Nick toons today are no different than I was with HB. They are being given great memories they'll remember as an adult like we do. Heck... 30 years from now they'll be discussing... "Do you remember when Kings Island had all the rides themed to Nickelodeon? Boy I sure miss that."

How's that song go? "It's the circle of life...."

Shaggy ;-)

• Like 1

I cant remember if it was sold yet, but if it wasnt I could see Demon drop moving to one of the Paramount Parks

Why?

Actually, Paramount already had one first generation Intamin Freefall (of which "Demon Drop" is an example) at PGA...I can't recall its name anymore. It was removed around the time PGA's version of "Drop Zone" was installed.

ya but still, they could install it is an inbetween ride, kids who want more than Planktons plunge but less than DZ, it was just a thought

Well, that is a logical reason. And, you're right in that it would be a relatively easy ride to move. However, the technology (and the ride itself) is so old and unreliable now that it just probably wouldn't be worth it to do. (Plus, the capacity on those things is awful...)

Does anyone remember where Premier (or was it still Fun Time at that point?) bought "Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall" from? They bought it used and relocated it to GL in the early 90s if I recall correctly. Was that PGA's old 1st gen freefall?

Yes, but I highly doubt they will. A tweener ride would be somewhat redundant. Why not add a ride that can be ridden by members of the entire family that provides a new and unique experience to the park?

Because everyone seems to want that new B & M coaster instead of a highly-themed roller coaster for the whole family. dry.gif

...Actually, in terms of B & Ms, I'd rather go the route of Kumba or Montu at Busch Gardens than Mantis or Raptor at Cedar Point. dry.gif

I said it before and I'll say it again. I am grateful that Cedar Fair purchased Paramount Parks and an investment company didn't. Regardless of whether or not you like Cedar Fair, at least you know that the company takes the amusement park business seriously and will take good care of our beloved Kings Island. An investment company would have cut costs - and quality with them - to maximize profit.

Hey, I admit that Cedar Fair was not my first choice. If it were up to me, Disney or Universal Studios would have taken over and turn PKI int a Disney or Universal Studios theme park. But that is NOT realistic. Those two major parks operate in locations where they stay open all year around and they build their parks from scratch.

All in all, I am pleased to join the Cedar Fair family.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

chef.gif

Does anyone remember where Premier (or was it still Fun Time at that point?) bought "Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall" from? They bought it used and relocated it to GL in the early 90s if I recall correctly. Was that PGA's old 1st gen freefall?

Premier purchased it from Rocky Point. It was originally

at Six Flags Great America.

All I'm saying is that I'd rather be traveling through ancient Egyptian ruins or a dense jungle region/huge forested area than around a bunch of steel coaster supports/wide open area.

But it's not that I don't like Cedar Fair, I think that they were a very good choice for running the Paramount Parks. It's just that the routes that Cedar Point and Kings Island have taken are two very different routes. One adds record-breaking roller coasters with little to no theming but make up in intense thrills. The other attempts to add a nice movie theme to their attractions, and the families love it.

I'm just getting a bit tired of the whole "Forget the family ride crap, we'd rather plop a B&M flyer or hyper in the middle of the park" posts. Yeah, I'm an avid coaster fan who would love to have a B&M finally soar above Kings Island's treeline. But I would like to see a little thought put into the scenery/theming design to REALLY wow the guests that ride the coaster.

Which is why I brought up the differences between Busch Garden's Montu and Cedar Point's Raptor. They're (nearly) the exact same ride, yet I'd rather travel all the way down to Florida just to check out the amazing theming of an Egyptian excavation site with a coaster that dips, dives, and dodges out of the scenery, rather than just weave in and out of a set of coaster supports.

There, that's my two cents, and I forgot to congratulate Cedar Fair for buying up Paramount Parks. It's about time a REAL theme park company got their hands on some gold. tongue.gif

• Like 2

Yes, but I highly doubt they will. A tweener ride would be somewhat redundant. Why not add a ride that can be ridden by members of the entire family that provides a new and unique experience to the park?

Like maybe Antique Cars or something?!?

I even have a great location for it. There is a spot right between Coney Mall and Rivertown at the end of the Eifel Tower. <G>

Yes, but I highly doubt they will.  A tweener ride would be somewhat redundant.  Why not add a ride that can be ridden by members of the entire family that provides a new and unique experience to the park?

Like maybe Antique Cars or something?!?

I even have a great location for it. There is a spot right between Coney Mall and Rivertown at the end of the Eifel Tower. <G>

ROFL! laugh.gif

"Premier purchased it from Rocky Point. It was originally

at Six Flags Great America. "

And it has a terrible history. When it originally opened at SFGAM, the ride used to hold a car in wait at the bottom of the lift tower while another climbed and latched into place above. Well, the car didn't latch one time and dropped, killing the people in the waiting car below.

Following that tragedy, the loading and lift process was modified on all versions.

Shaggy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think if anything, CP could learn a lesson on how a kids' area is supposed to be like. I think Kiddy Kingdom is a horrid example of a kids' area. You have about 5-6 car flat rides that go in a circle. They just have different cars. How atrocious.

• 9 years later...