Changes for 2007

Guest faceoff

Guest faceoff

One change i see coming is no more free parking for Kings Island. Cedar Fair

does not sell season passes until after the current season is over. Everybody

will have the option of parking on the season pass-but at a extra cost. Also-does

everybody think Cedar Fair will keep the minority interest in great wolf lodge,

sice this a arrangement under the paramount management? smile.gif

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One change i see coming is no more free parking for Kings Island. Cedar Fair

does not sell season passes until after the current season is over. Everybody

will have the option of parking on the season pass-but at a extra cost. Also-does

everybody think Cedar Fair will keep the minority interest in great wolf lodge,

sice this a arrangement under the paramount management? smile.gif

CBS will still own the share in the GWL. I encourage you to read my notes from the conference call before making any more predictions. Grated, we don't know a lot, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions on stuff that we do know for certain.

I already see one thing CF is doing. Yesterday, I noticed in the giftshop a "Fear the Four" shirt. I'm not gonna agree that Top Gun makes the list while FoF doesn't (unless this is foreshadowing FoF's departure), but it definatly resembles the "Fearsome Five" of CP (and possibly other parks)

Cedar Fair had NOTHING to do with that shirt.

Cedar Fair does not own Paramount Parks as of now.

The closing will not occur until some time in the third quarter (July-September). And it still needs government approval.

That shirt was approved by Paramount Parks (read: CBS or its predecessor, Viacom) a long time ago.

As for Fear the Four, I have a very similar shirt I bought at PKI at least five years ago....

Yes, I certainly doubt that Cedar Fair would have made any changes yet to any of the merchandise that is being sold in the Paramount Parks. Once the deal closes, it wouldn`t surprise me to start seeing some minor changes in Kings Island before the end of the season.

What do you mean "what do I think?" Do you mean what minor changes will we start to see by the end of the season? Well, we might see some minor changes to FearFest, and possibly pricing of old PKI merchandise. Furthermore, we might not have a winter event to look forward to in Decemeber, depending on what Kings Island and Cedar Fair management decide on.

Winter Fest could still be on for 2006 season not the 2007 as they are still selling tickets. I could see a side walk sale like they used to have just after Paramount bought the parks. I bet you will start to see some shirts on sale with a new logo on them. If they do have Winter Fest just for this year to close the season out you might see more changes.

Well according to the conference call that Cedar Fair had after they announced their acquisition, they were very explicit to say that they would have to evaulate whether or not they were going to have a winter event at Kings Island THIS season. They also mentioned that a decision one way or the other on whether to have WinterFest would be reached by Labor Day. But you bring up an interesting point. With the park still selling tickets, the longer time goes on, the more likely it seems that WinterFest will be a go. Unless they decide its just not worth it and offer refunds to anyone who has already bought their tickets. Personally, I wish that WinterFest would be here to stay for years to come. With the right price, I think it could become an annual tradition as big as Festival of Lights at the Cincinnati Zoo, or the model trains at the former CG&E offices in downtown.

IF Cedar Fair decides to make major structural changes to theming or to the parks' infrastructure, WinterFest becomes much less likely. The winter season available for the conversion work is short enough, without shortening it further by basically not being able to start such work until after January 1.

Moreover, Cedar Fair is going to be on the hot seat to show they can assimilate this change and still pay dividends to their shareholders. If WinterFest was a big financial bonanza, it might still continue. If, however, it was barely profitable or lost money, I see it more likely that it will not continue.

For the record, Cedar Point had a similar winter holiday gathering...ONCE, whereupon it was cancelled and not held since. But getting people to a windy park on Lake Erie in December and early January is a far different proposition than is Kings Island's. Not to mention, where do you find employees in Sandusky, Ohio in the dead of winter?

It almost doesn't make any sense that Paramount spent all that money and publicity hyping up the return of WinterFest one year, only to have it stripped away by a different company the next....this is, of course, pending Cedar Fair decides to axe the event altogether.

I can only hope that once Cedar Fair grabs ahold of the reigns, they'll be able to add their unique Halloween touch seen at the Haunt in Knott's for this year's FearFest. rolleyes.gif

I don't know. I see CF learning some things from PP. When you pre-process passes, you sell more of them, and have people's money for months and months without additional costs. I can see CF learning from PP in the season pass processing department.

Honestly, NO ONE was better at pass processing than PP, at least until this season...

Well, there's what they did to Geauga's.

That park now closes for the season on, I believe, September 17.

NO Halloween event.

No October weekends at all.

Which was one of the reasons why I didn't like Cedar Fair. I'm afraid that, with Cedar Point remaining the flagship park, and the monopoly in Ohio, someone in upper management's gonna decide that HalloWeekends is a more popular event than FearFest and end up pulling the plug on the PKI event. mad.gif

Yeah. Since making FearFest free with general admission, the park has been packed in October. I`m sure they will NOT be cancelling FearFest anytime soon. I think it is safe to say that FearFest will be here to stay for quite some time, although it may undergo a name change under the new management.

1. In 2007 you will see new merchandise (shirts, logos, etc...)

2. They will add a sit down restaurant.

3. Some new shows (probably 2 or 3)

4. The new ride that has already been purchased. I think this will tell us if they are going to keep any of the paramount theming.

5. No Winterfest in 2007.

6. Fearfest will stay. They may change the name.

7. Higher cost for season passes, extra cost for parking and pass perks.

Just a question?

There seems to be a lot of people on this forum that think Cedar Fair will only add their best attractions and events to KI. Example: KI will get a 20 million + mega coaster (Which they have only done at Cedar Point, not at any of their other parks). That Fearfest will become as good as Knotts Berry Farm's Halloween event. (None of the other parks in the Cedar Fair chain have this good of a Halloween event.) My point is, I don't think they will crap on the park, but I also don't think all their best attractions and events will be coming to KI. People want to take only the very best examples of Cedar Fair operations and assume they will all be coming to KI. Good luck in dreamworld.

Some of the comments that have been made are laughable. Winterfest was cancelled by Paramount for a number of years, and when it did come back last winter- it was not close to what it used to be. If Cedar Fair views Winterfest as profitable they will do it- hence the reason why CF bought KI, to make money. But since WF was unorganized and not well recieved in 2005 it could be put on hold for '06 until CF can evaluate it thouroughly.

Fearfest is profitable- so there is no reason to cancel it whatsoever.

You cannot compare GL to KI- don't insult the park we all love. CF took over a huge mess from Six Flags, and GL still needs a year or two to improve park operations as well as public opinion.

CF does not own the park right now- so there is no way that they could change ANYTHING in the park presently; and you are not going to see major changes until 2008. Perhaps some of the memorabilia; cost of tickets/ food etc., and other small changes in 2007.

Basically CF paid $1.24 billion for the Paramount chain. They are not going to run anything into the ground purposely. Will mistake happen? Sure, it happens with all business, but for the most part CF has made great business decisions. If they did not, there is no way they could have generated that much money to make the purchase.

Well, I think there could be some significant changes at Kings Island next season. Obviously, the new attractions for next year will be from the current Paramount Parks, but the theme of those attractions will likely be altered between now and next April. I forsee the Paramount Parks possibly loosing their Paramount name next season.

Yes, you are right, it will take a while for Cedar Fair to fully assimilate the parks into their control. But as was stated in the teleconference, the Paramount Parks are already very well ran. In that regard they are similar to Cedar Fair parks, which will make the transition from Paramount Parks to Cedar Fair easier.

Yep I see no winterfest also no free parking and no buy early pass for the rest of this year into next year.

I see no paramount theming all rides will be renamed and nickelodeon will be around at least next year!

time will tell

I thought that it was stated that the paramount theming would stay. Not sure how many years that it will stay that way. Most all of these predictions are laughable at best. What's with the free parking anyway? Do you get free parking when you buy a season pass? I know it's not free on a daily basis. There still could be a buy early pass, depending on how CF views the choice of doing it. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Point is, there's not much use of speculating as NO ONE has any idea what changes will be made that haven't already been stated. Also, the changes that were made to GL were solid business decisions. Getting rid of the Sea World side was sad to some, but CF is not in the business of caring for animials. You have to have the attendance to justify staying open later in the year or having some type of Halloween event. They don't make these decisions to tick people off. It's plain smart business. This also doesn't mean that if attendance picks up, people won't start asking for some Halloween event and later operating days. But, to just stay open later in the year when no one attends makes no sense. For the moment, it would just be a loss to them. And, there not in the biz to lose money.

...Also, the changes that were made to GL were solid business decisions.  Getting rid of the Sea World side was sad to some, but CF is not in the business of caring for animials.  You have to have the attendance to justify staying open later in the year or having some type of Halloween event.  They don't make these decisions to tick people off.  It's plain smart business.  This also doesn't mean that if attendance picks up, people won't start asking for some Halloween event and later operating days.  But, to just stay open later in the year when no one attends makes no sense.  For the moment, it would just be a loss to them.  And, there not in the biz to lose money.

I agree with what you're saying...I'm all for companies focusing on their core competencies and limiting businesses to what they do well. And, from that standpoint, CF removing the animals at GL made sense. However, after an attendance drop of approximately 50% in the first year after the acquisition (if SFWOA's attendance figures were to be believed), I think there's room for debate that in retrospect it was a "good business decision."

As Dick Kinzel said in a conference call last year talking about their challenges at GL, "We completely underestimated the appeal of the animal attractions."