Cedar Point to Remain Flagship

The Interpreter

First of all, I doubt they will rename the park Cedar Fair`s Kings Island. It will most likely return to what it was prior to the Paramount era; simply KI. Cedar Fair does not have their name plastered along with the park name on any of their other parks. They do mention frequently that it is a Cedar Fair park. Example, Cedar Point is referred to simply as Cedar Point. On park maps, etc. it mentions that Cedar Point is part of Cedar Fair, L. P.

And I highly doubt that Cedar Fair will let KI detiororate. They seem to be quite proud of having three parks that pull in more than 3 million guests per year. I`m sure they`d like to keep it that way. Afterall, I`m sure PKI was making lots of money every year. While it might not have the per capita spending that Cedar Point had, I`m sure KI will generate money for Cedar Fair and thus be an important park.

There is a bit of a difference between Cedar Point and Kings Island in terms of "destination resort" status. Cedar Point is in the relatively small town of Sandusky...not quite the major metropolis. It does however, have the best location possible. Cedar Fair fashoned the amusement park into a resort destination by building hotels and keeping guests for a couple of days. They gave guests a couple other things to do with Castaway Bay, Challenge Park, and Soak City, not to mention they built a great park.

In contrast, Kings Island draws much of it's success from the nearby population of Cincy. While Kings Island is a great park that does take a couple of days to do everything with, owners have never really cashed in on that because they probably figured that your average PKI visitor probably comes from Cincy or the surrounding area. While that thought has some truth to it, I still tend to think that a well built hotel with some real amenities for parkguests (early entry, package discounts...etc) would probably do very well for Kings Island. People do stay in the hotels that surround the park, and would opt for the park's hotel if the price was competitive with more benefits. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Kings Island hotel pop up in the next few years to service some of the 3.5 million guests

Back a few to the "land locked", I guess none of you have been to PGA in CA. It is right smack in the middle of silicoln valley. The only way to expand is up, or remove something. CF will not let KI go down the drain. Will there be changes? without a doubt it will happen, the question is what and when. If I understand it right, the final ink will be done in the 3rd quarter of this year, so I would not expect anything until after August, when they start ramping up for 2007.

I see only good things to come out of this merger.You are not going to please everyone.....

Rick

Back a few to the "land locked", I guess none of you have been to PGA in CA. It is right smack in the middle of silicoln valley. The only way to expand is up, or remove something. CF will not let KI go down the drain. Will there be changes? without a doubt it will happen, the question is what and when. If I understand it right, the final ink will be done in the 3rd quarter of this year, so I would not expect anything until after August, when they start ramping up for 2007.

I see only good things to come out of this merger.You are not going to please everyone.....

Rick

I never tend to think of GA as one of the parks.

Just me I suppose.

WOOFERBEARATL said:

"OH WOW!

I haven't been to Wonderland for about 8 or 9 years but there used to be NOTHING around the park. It was just beautiful."

Well, PCW is still definitely beautiful on the inside... But it's not so beautiful on the outside anymore.

Here's a link to a satellite photo I searched out through Google Earth showing Paramount's Canada's Wonderland... and all the urban sprawl surrounding it. FYI, this satellite image is a few years old, and more development has now occurred. ( I could tell it's a bit dated since there's no IJST or even Huss Jump2 in the photo.)

http://hometown.aol.com/jhnktr/CoasterPics.html

Shaggy