Metal Detectors

Guest faceoff

Guest faceoff

When six flags owned six flags world of adventure,they had metal detectors in

use. After Cedar Fair bought the park,the detectors were removed. Don't be

surprised if Cedar Fair removes them from Kings Island. smile.gif

Granted, I'm not a big fan of Metal Detectors but I think that would be a bad idea.

I can just see the headlines - guest shoots "x" at Kings Island. The reporter asks the media person "Kings Island Had Metal detectors up until 2006. Do you think in the events of this shooting that it was wise to remove the metal detecors?"

Again, there's do doubt that the use of metal detectors will be "evaluated" by Cedar Fair management this season. Now, there haven't been any serious incidents at Geauga Lake since detectors were removed (that I know of) - is it a park that has "better clientele?" I know other CF parks, especially Cedar Point, don't have them.

Metal detectors, to some, can make people uncomfortable - but when done right (signage, proper instructions, competent people, staffed adequately) they can be a hassle-free experience, and make guests and employees feel more comfortable around people that they think might cause trouble. A ****ed-off guest packing heat is never good.

Somewhat related, I have been to other parks, Cedar Fair related and not, that have staff/security check bags/purses, etc. but not persons.

It's also a good question what the new owners will do with the front gate area. I don't doubt that eventually there will be remodeling. I do though hope they renovate and reopen the old International Restraurant space - this park deserves some sort of sit-down table service restaurant.

I can just see the headlines - guest shoots "x" at Kings Island. The reporter asks the media person "Kings Island Had Metal detectors up until 2006. Do you think in the events of this shooting that it was wise to remove the metal detecors?"

How many shootings has KI had since before the metal detectors? Answer=None. I think that you are overstating a little.

How many shootings has KI had since before the metal detectors? Answer=None. I think that you are overstating a little.

Please read what I wrote.

I do not agree with that they ever needed to be installed.

But now that they are there, if they are pulled from the front gate and there is an incident, that will certainly be made known in any press.

I think there was shooting in the parking but I am not a 100% on it. I do know there was at PKD.

Yes there was a shooting a few years back in the parking lot, on BET day. (which led to that event being stopped from then on out... that's really a different topic though).

As much as they metal detectors are a hassel and slow people getting into the park, I don't know how I would feel if they were taken away with a Richmond crowd. Whatever the outcome I'm going to trust the Cedar Fair judgement on this one.

the gun at pretty ricky was, from what I heard, actually a rumor... there were other things going on there though.

I've actually heard the gun thing wasn't true as well. Of course, PKI's security was under evaluation after the event so SOMETHING must have happened.

well, I also know many of the security that were there, as well as some of the Mason police that were called in, and they told me that it was actually not true... who knows, they may have been trying to save face, but I somehow doubt that.

I'm confused, Klockster...So, you're saying that a guest didn't bring the gun in? If not, then I'm assuming one of the crew with Pretty Ricky brought it in? And, if it was someone from the crew and it took place in the parking lot, I still maintain that metal detectors would not have helped if this incident took place there and not inside the park.

I don't know but I'm thinking that a guy named "Pretty Ricky" should probably have a gun at all times. <G>

Nah, I imagine that if anyone with the name Pretty Ricky got into some friction, he'd probably be the suave type of guy who could talk his way out of it.