The future of Nickelodeon Universe

italianchef

There are 4 years left of the Nickelodeon license at what are now known as the Paramount Parks. Cedar Fair will own them by the third quarter. What would you like to see Cedar Fair do to the children themed areas of what we now call PP when the license expires? And please tell us why.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

chef.gif

Uh, Scooby has been at Six Flags for quite some time, now. Only natural, since he is a WB property and Six Flags has a license on the WB characters. At one time, Taft owned Scooby, and you only saw him at the Kings parks...

As for Nick, on the one hand, you have the considerable (and justifiably so) Cedar Fair company pride and desire to remove someone else's name from the park vs. the fact that doing so will cost money, and not just a little. I still think the Paramount theming will go, while Nick stays, at least for now. I could even see Nick going to all the Cedar Fair parks at some point. Maybe Cedar Fair could charge Paramount Studios to keep its name on the park--and the fee could be exactly the same as the Nick license. Nah, that won't happen.

Yeah, I don`t see Cedar Fair keeping the Paramount name on the parks. Next season I think the blue mountain logo will dissapear from all the Paramount Parks logos, and Paramount Parks will cease to exist, as it will then be Cedar Fair.

As for the plushes. I have seen Spiderman, and Superman plushes at the games at Kings Island in Coney Mall before.

Uh, Scooby has been at Six Flags for quite some time, now. Only natural, since he is a WB property and Six Flags has a license on the WB characters. At one time, Taft owned Scooby, and you only saw him at the Kings parks...

As for Nick, on the one hand, you have the considerable (and justifiably so) Cedar Fair company pride and desire to remove someone else's name from the park vs. the fact that doing so will cost money, and not just a little. I still think the Paramount theming will go, while Nick stays, at least for now. I could even see Nick going to all the Cedar Fair parks at some point. Maybe Cedar Fair could charge Paramount Studios to keep its name on the park--and the fee could be exactly the same as the Nick license. Nah, that won't happen.

It really surprised me to see him. But ya know ya really don't see many people running around with large plush at the Six Flags park.

I think the place that I won the larges plush animal was at Busch Gardens Williamsburg (pre-Europa)

But it was nice to see Scooby as it brought back good memories.

Interp, is it not a little surprising how many Characters that Six Flags has walking around the park. I swear that Kings Island did not have that many walking around even in the Taft days. That just kinda surprises me.

Hmmm... I know HB isnt coming back to Kings Island I think I would rather see The Peanuts Gang take over what was/is paramount parks with Nick and Scooby Doo.Iam sure the paramount themes will disappear as well as some of the Nick themes maybe after 5 years or so.

My two fav cartoon characters Snoopy and Scooby at the same park!

I can see SD&THC being re-themed to The Great Pumpkin! biggrin.gif

I say add in Snoopy and good ol charile brown they are timeless classics and what kid doesnt love snoopy I mean spongebob is popular now but 10-15 years from now will he be as popular?

I'd like to see the best of both worlds at KI Snoopy and Nick,Scooby Doo after all Scooby is popular very popular with the kids and adults.

I actually like NU. I mean, obviously boo for taking Scooby out of the area, and the tunnel out of FoC, but besides that...NU has 3 great coasters (counting Avatar as one) a good shooter, and a nice flume. I say keep it as is...

oh yeah at games all sorts of brands of characters come out: spiderman, there were looney toons last year at skyscraper (big one by Vortex), carebears, pac man, anything popular, and people will play to get, appears in the games. Although i have never seen snoopy

I've seen Snoopy and Woodstock plushies at PKI... I think some members have the right idea Snoopy has always been BIG I say add in Snoopy and the rest of the Peanuts gang to Kings Island with Scooby Doo and Nick...

FYI Nick has only bought 3 years worth of New Spongebob Squarepants Cartoons and that includes a second movie deal.

FYI Nick has only bought 3 years worth of New Spongebob Squarepants Cartoons and that includes a second movie deal.

However, a three year renewal in the world of television is an eternity. Most shows are lucky if they get picked up for 18 episodes from one season to the next, and a lot of times it's a lot fewer than that. Fox a few years ago renewed the Simpsons for two full seasons and that was considered quite the programming event.

It is very interesting that so many of us wish that Hanna-Barbera Land would make a comeback. One never knows but I won't hold my breath. And mind you - I am an ardent H-B fan.

My guess is that after the Nickelodeon license expires, all the former PP will have Peanuts characters just like all the other CF parks do today.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

chef.gif

It is very interesting that so many of us wish that Hanna-Barbera Land would make a comeback. One never knows but I won't hold my breath. And mind you - I am an ardent H-B fan.

My guess is that after the Nickelodeon license expires, all the former PP will have Peanuts characters just like all the other CF parks do today.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

chef.gif

I suspect that you are correct.

I believe that we won't see the reintroduction of HB but I don't think we're going to be seeing NU for much longer, either.

I fully suspect that all children's areas will be converted to a Peanuts theme.

Am I the only person here that understands kids tastes these days. Walk down any toy aisle in any store and you will not see the Jetsons or Charlie Brown or Snoopy or any of those classic cartoons. You don't even see much of Bugs Bunny anymore. What you do see is SpongeBob and Dora the Explorer and it has been that way for quite some time now. When the current generation of kids grow up they will consider these cartoons classics. Some may not survive like Fairly Odd Parents or Avatar but SpongeBob, Dora, Blue, and Rugrats have been around for quite some time and I think they will stand the test of time... they already have outlasted many other cartoons. I think Cedar Fair would be making a huge mistake by letting the Nick license expire. Another park system would jump on that opportunity in a heartbeat. In a perfect world, all Cedar Fair parks would have Snoopy and Nickelodeon because the camp snoopy idea seems to appeal to very very young children, ones that are too small to ride most of the rides in Nick Universe.

But, but, but....

It really doesn't matter if you or I understand kids' tastes.

What will matter is what Cedar Fair thinks will best help the parks.

And I bet Cedar Fair will stick with the tried and true, what they know, and what they, in their conservative and infinite wisdom, believe that kids either DO or SHOULD want...

And that, that I bet is and will be Peanuts...as in Snoopy, Charley Brown and Woodstock....not Dora the Explorer or Spongebob or the Wild Thornthingies...

Am I the only person here that understands kids tastes these days. Walk down any toy aisle in any store and you will not see the Jetsons or Charlie Brown or Snoopy or any of those classic cartoons. You don't even see much of Bugs Bunny anymore. What you do see is SpongeBob and Dora the Explorer and it has been that way for quite some time now. When the current generation of kids grow up they will consider these cartoons classics. Some may not survive like Fairly Odd Parents or Avatar but SpongeBob, Dora, Blue, and Rugrats have been around for quite some time and I think they will stand the test of time... they already have outlasted many other cartoons. I think Cedar Fair would be making a huge mistake by letting the Nick license expire. Another park system would jump on that opportunity in a heartbeat. In a perfect world, all Cedar Fair parks would have Snoopy and Nickelodeon because the camp snoopy idea seems to appeal to very very young children, ones that are too small to ride most of the rides in Nick Universe.

I fully understand your feelings as a father. But CF looks at it from a bottom line approach. If a cost-benefit analysis concludes that they can make greater profits by not paying for the Nickelodeon license, then that is what they will do.

See, that is where I think you might be wrong. Nickelodeon, IMO are much larger than the Peanuts characters. I think that Cedar Fair realizes that, and is part of the reason behind why they bought the parks. I just don`t buy into your "tried and true" method. Dick Kinzel himself said that some things Paramount Parks did really well and they will learn from the history of both companies and take the best from each when moving forward.

like Nickleodeon Universe said peanuts is not with the kids, when i was a kid i only watched the peanuts christmas and halloween episodes. I watched rugrats, spongebob, and scooby doo, not the peanuts. Guess who also has their TV station: Nickelodeon. the last time i checked snoopy doesn't have its own show. I was talking with a guest today, we were talking about hannah barbara land and how the money these days is with nickelodeon not snoopy

I agree that they will run the numbers and make the best financial move. I have no ideas what Cedar Fair is paying for the rights to the Peanuts or what the cost for Nick is and may be. (DOES ANYONE ON THIS SITE KNOW THESE NUMBERS?) Also, do we know what the return on the investment for both are? If you do, please post them, it would help the conversation greatly.

So, without any of us knowing these numbers the only thing that we can really comment on is, which of the two is more popular for the younger generation. As a parent of two small children I can easily answer that question, NICK. They and their friends have no idea who the peanuts and snoopy are. This conversation should not be about what was popular we I (we) were kids, its what is popular and sells now and in the next 10 years. Once again, unless the Peanuts franchise does something massive it is NICK.

I`m sure based on the popularity of Nick that the license fee is pretty hefty. Cedar Fair did not disclose the cost they paid for the license. I`m sure the license fee for Nickelodeon is far more than for the Peanuts. But look at the brand recognition that Nick gets compared to the Peanuts.

It will be interesting to see what the next five years have in store for both Kings Island, and the use of Nickelodeon at the former Paramount Parks. Who knows, Cedar Point may one day turn Camp Snoopy into Nickelodeon Central.

HB land was nice. Yeah Smurf Ride, I was so disheartened when they took that out sad.gif I think they have done a terrific job with the NU. Just about all of the Nick stuff is flying off the shelves these days. Unless something major happens at Nick, CF would be making a bad decision not to renew. Nick knows when to come out with something new to appeal to kids. Look at Rugrats, when it popularity started to decline out came Spongebob. When he starts to come down, they will throw out something new to appeal to kids

CoasterRZ,

I agree, it will be interesting over the next 2-5 years. I am sure Cedar Fair will run the numbers and they will base their decision on which one or both, make the best return on the investment. Even if NICK is more expensive (I would think it is) if the money on merchandise, etc... and its ability to bring more guest into the park then the Peanuts they will probably keep NICK and grow that segment of their parks.