KI VS PKI

KIBeast

I was wondering if people like KI better before or after the Paramount acquisition? Some of us old schoolers liked KI (before Paramount) with great classic rides like the Rotor, The Beast, King Cobra, the Screamin' Demon, The Bat, the Bayern Curve, Der Spinnin' Keggers and others. Plus, they had great characters like Fred Flintstone, Dino, Captain Caveman, the Smurfs, Quick Draw McGraw and others. And, Hanna Barberra Land used to be the place to be when you were a kid.

But, now they have the Action Zone with great rides like Face/Off, SOB, Delirium and Rivertown now has Tomb Raider:The Ride. And, probably kids enjoy the characters that are now there like the Rugrats (not really sure what other characters there are). Plus, they have Nick Central.

What do you guys think?

I'm younger and don't remember KI that much before Paramounts took over but all I remember is HBL had way better theming. But with Paramount they have also contributed. I really don't know which one since I really don't remember KI before Paramount.

;)

This is a difficult topic, only because there are many that never had the pleasure of KI before Paramount took over.

IMO KI beats out the current PKI. And mainly for the little things. International Restaurant, International Street, quality of rides (Beast, Racer, Bat-Vortex, KCKK, HB, Enchanted Voyage- Phantom Theatre, Flight Commander, KC, WaterWorks etc.), the landscaping was very well kept, and it was CLEAN! I'm not saying that PKI is dirty, but KI was the "white glove test" type of clean. My first visit to KI was in '79, and up until the mid 90's KI was the park of choice for my family. But something changed when Paramount bought it, the "family" atmosphere was not where it used to be at.

I remember little of pre-paramount, just HB, but family parks can most defently hold there own out there, and are great parks, i mean look at Holiday World, two world class woodies, or Michigan's Adventure before Cedar Fair bought it out, Shivering Timbers, one of the best out-and-backs i have ever been on. No matter how much park chains try they cant and never will match the friendly family atmosphere of family owned parks

-rctfreak-

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVED the park when under Taft's control, and was saddened by the way the Lindner family treated KI. Paramount was/is willing to pour money back into the place, and build some pretty good stuff.

I was asked this question by a group of employees this past weekend, and I can honestly say I appreciate what Paramount is trying to do with the park.

I also remember when Jeff Siebert was asked why Paramount removed so many original KI rides. His response to this question was pretty good: "Look around, we've also added a thing or two!"

At first I really didn't care much for Paramount, but now after 11 years (1993 - 2004) it's starting to grow on me. Paramount has done alot of good things for Kings Island, and some bad things. But in my opinion i'm sure alot of the things we have seen happen, we would have probably see it regardless. It was always my knowledge that even though PKI is owned by Paramount, the same people actually run the park, as far as managers, and the people who deiced what the new attractions will be.

I was never at PKI before Paramount but I was at Canada's Wonderland before Paramount. It would be a toss up similar to what you guys are saying about PKI. Before Paramount they had a walk-through Smurf attraction, a Flintstones live show, the Bedrock Aquarium with a seal show, the classic HB characters, and a large HB Land area. They also always had an all-star HB character show at the International Showplace.

At the same time, Paramount has brought some great rides and attractions to the park like Top Gun, Tomb Raider, The Fly, Scooby Doo and the Haunted Mansion, some large flats, Nick Central, Zoom Zone, Kidzville, Action Zone, and major improvements to the SplashWorks water park.

Like I said it's a toss-up but when I think back to when I was seven and we visited... for nostalgia's sake I would say Kings Island Entertainment Company did a better job at maintaining and running the park.

KI DEFINATELY!

While I give props to Paramount for brining in some kick ass rides, there was this atmopshere about KI that made it so much better.

Characters walking throughout the park (yogi, quick draw, fred, barney, etc..)

Employees uniforms were based on what part of the park they worked at.

The shows were 10 times better.

SUMRF ENCHANTED VOYAGE!!! (Yeah I know it was removed before Paramount bought the park, but still my favorite ride)

The park was cleaner

Now you don't get characters walking throughout the park and the only ones they have in kiddy land are Nicktoons and Scooby. :angry: I get the feeling in kiddy land that they will phase out Hanna Barbera land in the next 5-10 years and devote it totally to Nick Toons. I hope that doesn't happen.

While I give props to Paramount for brining in some kick ass rides, there was this atmopshere about KI that made it so much better.

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who notices this. Even something as simple as the music they play just walking around the park needs to be changed.