Music in the the park

TopThrill

Hi there,

I need some help in nameing the music thats played in the park. Heres what I've come up with so far. These are the ones that I know of.

First for I-Street,

TopGun, Anthem,

Saving Pvt. Ryan, ?

Bettel Juice, ?

Titanic, ?

Mission Imposable, ?

Nick U (Name of song then who sang it)

Perfect Day, ?

RiverTown,

Can't tell which ones are played.

Coney Mall,

Again can't remeber the ones in there.

Action Zone,

Again same here can't remeber.

So if any of you can help me out with nameing the songs with who sang them.

Thanks to those of you reply!!

cowboy.gif

• Like 1

Here are some things I remember hearing in Coney Mall:

"Gonna Fly Now" - Rocky

"Sussudio" - Phil Collins

"Walkin' on Sunshine" - Katrina and the Waves

"Unchained" - Van Halen (this one I've just started hearing this year)

"Working for the Weekend" - Loverboy

"Blue" - Eiffel 65

"We Like to Party" - Venga Boys

• Like 1

Youre right interpreter - its an absolute riot.... or not....

Anyway - some orchestral selections from international street ...

Star Trek Insurrection Theme

Forest Gump Suite

Addams Family

The Theme from Terms of Endearment

If you use Limewire or any other P2P music sharing software - just search for James Horner, he composes a lot of the Paramount Music... I really enjoy the orchestral selections pki has chosen for IS...

This year they play alot of Techno/Trance in Coney Mall. I remember last year they played Ready to Go - the Top Thrill Dragster theme - down by Vortex.

I just about have the NU soundtrack memorized - though I can't really recall which songs are on it. Like if I was NU - I could probably sing along with the songs and tell you which one is coming up next though. weird.gif They play that song that was in Legally Blonde - Perfect Day or whatever it is, the Lazy Town theme and a bunch of other really annoying songs.

The songs in I-Street and AZ do change, but not that much.

I do have a semi-complete list of the stuff that plays in AZ, so here it is.

Rock n Roll All Night (and party everyday) -Kiss

You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet - BTO

You're Unbelievable - EMF

Think - Aretha Franklin

Ssssudio - Phil Collins

Get on your feet - Gloria Estefan

Jump - Van Halen

Good Vibrations - Beach Boys

Shining Happy People - REM

Good Day Sunshine - The Beatles

Jungle Boogie -Kool and the Gang

Ladies Night - Kool and the Gang

Lucky Star - Madonna

Borderline - Madonna

Shake your Groove thing - Peaches and Herb

Holiday - Madonna

Escapade - Janet Jackson

All Night Long - Lionel Richie

Let's Get Loud - Jennifer Lopez

Let's Hear it for the boy - Footloose (the movie) soundtrack

Larger than life - Backstreet Boys

Celebration - Kool and the Gang

Dance Into the Night - Phil Collins

Heart of Rock n Roll - Huey Lewis and the News

I'm so excited - Pointer Sisters

I can see clearly now- (unsure) Johnny Nash

Tear it up Burn it down - Garth Brooks

Gonna Fly Now - Rocky Soundtrack

I always find it amusing when the music that is Mr. Six's theme plays in Coney Mall, which it did last year, and I assume still does!

First we have Six Flags hanging over Coney Mall, then we play the theme song!

Hilarious! laugh.gif

And the strange thing is that I don't think I've ever heard it played at a Six Flag park.

You would think that as univerally connected with Six Flags as that song is, that Paramount would not have allowed that in the parks.

All I know is what ever Paramount plays isn't anywhere close to what it should be for the theming in the different areas. This makes the park seem smaller because you don't feel like you are entering different areas of the park... The only part of the park where the music fits the theming is River Town. Coney Mall should be music from the 20's through the 50's. International Street should be more classical music to make the Royal Fountain seem grander.

Just as a side note, this just proves that even after 13 years Paramount still doesn't get what Kings Island is all about.

-adam12

All I know is what ever Paramount plays isn't anywhere close to what it should be for the theming in the different areas. This makes the park seem smaller because you don't feel like you are entering different areas of the park... The only part of the park where the music fits the theming is River Town. Coney Mall should be music from the 20's through the 50's. International Street should be more classical music to make the Royal Fountain seem grander.

Just as a side note, this just proves that even after 13 years Paramount still doesn't get what Kings Island is all about.

-adam12

We know that Paramount did not care much about the theming. That's just a matter of fact. Here's looking towards CF using more appropriate music in each area.

"We know that Paramount did not care much about the theming. That's just a matter of fact."

I disagree.

I think Paramount Parks DID care about theming, but in a very narrow minded way.

I'll explain:

If you look at various installs at PKI alone.... Top Gun, Action FX Theatre/Days of Thunder, Outer Limits: FOF, Tomb Raider, Scooby Doo and the HC, IJST, Nick Universe... those are very "themed" attractions by amusement park standards. Some of those attractions are more themed than others, but none-the less, themed.

I recall when FOF opened in 1996, it was the most over-the-top attraction that a non-Disney non-Universal park had ever attempted. To this very day, it still remains an extremely theme-heavy attraction.

Tomb Raider was an install where the ride unit cost less than half the budget of the entire attraction! The lion's share of dough was spent on licensing rights and ride theming/effects. Like it or not, Tomb Raider is indeed an over-the-top themed attraction.

But Tomb Raider is probably THE prime example of the flaw. They literally did not think outside of the box when designing/installing that attraction. The chain's mentality since the Paramount takeover stretched little beyond a ride's individual theming and installation. Their ideas to theme rides were, and are, grandiose.. and IMO deserve applauding. Yet, they paid little to no attention to the theming area in which the ride was placed.

But IMO to label it a "Paramount" problem isn't exactly correct. Even prior to the Paramount buyout, the parks had already started down the road of not adhering to themed areas.

Need proof? Adventure Express was an attraction that caused a big "Huh?" in my book when it opened. I still cannot figure out how a Mayan-themed coaster found it's way into the Octoberfest area of the park.

When Paramount came on board as proprietor, the movie-tie-in theming just caused the issue to start screaming out at guests. Suddenly there was a Navy Jet Movie themed coaster in the back of the Wild Animal Habitat.

It's easy to think "What the heck is Paramount thinking?" Yet, it was slated to be there even prior to having a Paramount movie theme. Although Top Gun in the back-woods of a safari area makes little sense, neither does Thunder Road... one of the original names for the coaster. It was purchased for install prior to the Paramount buy-out.

I personally don't think "Paramount" is the bad guy. Heck, a lot of the park's employees were carryovers from the pre-Paramount Days. It wasn't as if all of the sudden the parks had entirely new full-time staffs.

The parks division is just that, a division. It wasn't the parent company making all the decisions, heck they just sunk a ton of money into capitol improvements.

However I think the team that was enlisted by Parmount to spearhead the entire parks division through the 90's and 00's just lacked a strong directive and forsight when it came to esthetic design elements within the park. Their goal was to profit, to grow attendance, to generate revenue.

When a large company steps in, the bottom line is the almighty dollar, and it's up to those that oversee the company's divisions to focus primarily on that. In turn you get big-wigs that are extremely smart when it comes to marketing and stratigizing, but often inconsistent and lacking when it comes to vision on a park design level.

Once Paramount was branded in the parks, it opened lot's of new theming possibilities. However, those possibilities never were fully and appropriately realized IMO.

They willy-nilly dropped a space/military base themed attraction in the middle of the Congo area at PKD. They plopped a Mayan/Egyptian/Asian themed attraction in the middle of Rivertown at PKI. They squeezed a Star Trek themed coaster smack dab in the middle of the Old Carolina Section of Carowinds. They put a USA military-themed coaster in the middle of the World's Fair section of Canada's Wonderland etc, etc, etc.

My reaction to many of the Paramount attractions was "Wow, this ride has really great theming!" But that was often coupled with "But what does this theme have to do with this area of the park?"

Of course within weeks, and in subsequent seasons, my reaction to the attractions were "Why in the heck don't they clean/maintain the theming properly?" This reaction came as a result of seeing attractions opened, but then essentially left to rot. The lack of upkeep and attention to detail read as:

1) The maintenance staff was ill-equipped to maintain them.

or

2) The costs to upkeep the attractions were prohibitive

or

3) The staff did not care.

It may have been one, or two or all of these... or it may have been none of them. Who knows. But to the not-so-average guest, it was dissapointing. heck, to the average guest it was dissapointing too.

I always sort of "got" the vision PPI had... however askewed. IMO the idea was to make it more of a "movie park." Sort of a poor man's Universal. With theming elements being unique to each attraction, rather than attractions being unique to surrounding theming. But it never gelled for me. I always felt that they fell short of the overall picture.

Because I know and love the park so much, I was very tuned into how things "should be." I can easily spot when a light bulb is out, or when the spark effect dissapeared from an attraction. Because of the care and concern for my favorite park, I often got offended or frustrated to see so many things having flaws. But I also had to understand that there had to be issues existing of which I was not privvy, or could not understand.

But bottom line, I think Paramount cared about ride theming. Why else would they have spent so much time and effort in the theming elements of so many rides? However, I do not think they cared about overall PARK theming and the feel of areas. The flow of the park was often disrupted simply to "stick in" a new attraction.

Shaggy

P.S. I will now go on record in saying that last season I became terribly disenchanted with PKI simply based on IJST. I personally felt sick on the stomach seeing how they took perhaps the most tranquil and beautiful area of the park (not to mention sacrificing 2 beloved and guest favorite rides) to install a ridiculously themed eyesore of an attraction whose theming elements either never worked, or were broken and not repaired.

I certainly wish the park much luck and success, and above all I respect so many of the friends that I have and know at PKI. But literally the first time I saw IJST sitting there last season, a huge chunk of my passion for the park was killed. As silly as it sounds, I could have cried at what I saw. It was, IMO, the poorest decision that was ever made at KI.

• Like 1

Shaggy-- A fantastic analysis of Paramount Park's theming "issues." I had started to write a similar response, and after reading yours realized that there was absolutely no need. You covered it perfectly.

I will say, however, that anyone who is counting on Cedar Fair to be the saviour of KI theming will probably be disappointed. Unless, CF is planning on treating their new "theme" parks differently than they always have their "amusement" parks (which, I guess is possible). I never visited KBF prior to CF's acquisition (so I can't say what it was like before), but while I found the theming more involved than Cedar Point, it was hardly a park that I would consider meticulously themed.

As far as hearing Venga Boys at SF parks this year, I doubt if we will. On both of Shapiro's conference calls he went out of his way to say that one of his first decisions was to cancel that marketing campaign, and that he hated that "stupid character" (AKA "Mr. Six").

• Like 1

I will say, however, that anyone who is counting on Cedar Fair to be the saviour of KI theming will probably be disappointed. Unless, CF is planning on treating their new "theme" parks differently than they always have their "amusement" parks (which, I guess is possible). I never visited KBF prior to CF's acquisition (so I can't say what it was like before), but while I found the theming more involved than Cedar Point, it was hardly a park that I would consider meticulously themed.

Talk to DirtySteve. He has some interesting stories about his visit to "Knott's Scary Farm". A lot of it involved VERY well themed queue lines where you didn't know if a statue was a statue or a person ready to jump out at you. At least there is an element of hope for Fearfest.

By the way, I'm not counting on CF's upkeep of our themed attractions either...

• Like 1

I certainly wish the park much luck and success, and above all I respect so many of the friends that I have and know at PKI. But literally the first time I saw IJST sitting there last season, a huge chunk of my passion for the park was killed. As silly as it sounds, I could have cried at what I saw. It was, IMO, the poorest decision that was ever made at KI.

Shaggy

I feel very much the same about IJST, it isn't worth my time to wait more than 5-10 min in line for that ride.

-adam12

Need proof? Adventure Express was an attraction that caused a big "Huh?" in my book when it opened. I still cannot figure out how a Mayan-themed coaster found it's way into the Octoberfest area of the park.

It was in Adventure Village before octoberfest.

Notice AE is yellow

That post doesn't make sense.

Adventure Village was the last name that the area now known as Action Zone had before it was overhauled. It started as the Wild Animal Habitat, then became Wild Animal Safari, then became Adventure Village when the Monerail was removed. In 1999 it became Action Zone.

Adventure Express was never a part of that area. It was installed in 1991 as a part of the Octoberfest section of the park.

Shaggy

• Like 1

Need proof?  Adventure Express was an attraction that caused a big "Huh?" in my book when it opened.  I still cannot figure out how a Mayan-themed coaster found it's way into the Octoberfest area of the park.

Shaggy,

Are you sure that Adventure Express is a Mayam themed ride? Please tell me how you know this. I always thought that it was "Tiki" themed because of the statues. And with the British accents in the introduction music, I assumed that the ride took place in a former British colony.

Take these two things together, I assumed that the ride was supposed to take place somewhere in the South Pacific - perhaps Fiji.

Please confirm that this ride is in fact Mayan and what role the British play in it. I am VERY curious and I know that you are very learned about all things PKI.

Sincerely,

Italian Chef

chef.gif

Chef - Adventure Express takes place on "the trans-jungle route to outposts 4 and 5". I suppose it could be Fiji - but considering that it is based on the opening sequence of Raiders of the Lost Ark - that takes place in South America - and how the statues on Lift 2 look very indigenous to Central or South America - I would sooner believe its Mayan or Aztec.

That post doesn't make sense.

Adventure Village was the last name that the area now known as Action Zone had before it was overhauled. It started as the Wild Animal Habitat, then became Wild Animal Safari, then became Adventure Village when the Monerail was removed. In 1999 it became Action Zone.

Adventure Express was never a part of that area. It was installed in 1991 as a part of the Octoberfest section of the park.

Shaggy

You actually got that reversed. It started out as Wild Animal Safari and then became Wild Animal Habitat. I can't remember the exact date of the name change but I can tell you that I was manager of WAH Karts for a while. It had Adventure Quentch (next to American Herritage Music Hall), Ice Cream Cart in WAH, Adventure Corn Dog and Adventure Icee.

It's been a long time since I replied in these forums.

I made a pki music compilation back in 2003 & here's what I have on it. All songs were played in International Street then & probably still are today.

A lot of these songs are on the Paramount Pictures 90th Anniversiery Album

John Williams - Saving Private Ryan 'Hymn to the Fallen'

Nino Rota - Romeo & Juliet Love Theme (1968)

Jerry Goldsmith - Chinatown Main Theme (1974)

Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek Theme

John Williams - Raiders of the Lost Ark

Michael Gore - Terms of Endearment Theme

Harold Faltermeyer - Axel F

Giorgio Moroder - Flashdance Love Theme

Marc Shaiman - Addams Family

Henry Mancini - Moon River

Nino Rota - The Godfather Love Theme

Danny Elfman - Overture/Breakfast Machine (Pee Wee's Big Adventure)

Danny Elfman - The Drive-In (Pee Wee's Big Adventure)

Vangelis - Chariots of Fire

Vince Guaraldi - Peanuts Theme

Monty Norman - James Bond Theme

John Williams - Star Wars Theme

John Williams - Star Wars Episode 4 Ending & Credits Song

Alan Silvestri - Forrest Gump Theme

Gabriel Yared - The Talented Mr. Ripley 'Italia'

Nancy Wilson - Vanilla Sky 'To the Roof' <can't remember if this one was played

Songs I remember, but cant remember the artist:

Star Trek: Wrath of Khan Theme

Goonies Theme

Star Wars Cantina Band (the song from the Tatooine bar scene)

Original Gladiator Movie Theme

Driving Miss Daisy Theme

A Summer Place

Police Squad Theme Song (Also Naked Gun Theme)

Superman Theme (I was amazed myself....)

Braveheart Theme

Almost anything from the Tomb Raider score soundtrack is heard in the Tomb Raider ride line.

Mint Royale - From Rusholme W/Love (Vanilla Sky) use to be on Q-Tv

I think the theme from Rudy was played.. not sure on that.

There's a lot more that was played in International street, but I don't know the names or the artists of the songs..

The entire Top Gun soundtrack is heard in the Top Gun line.. especially at Carowinds..

Thats all I can remember! Hope this helps ya!! smile.gif

Chef - Adventure Express takes place on "the trans-jungle route to outposts 4 and 5". I suppose it could be Fiji - but considering that it is based on the opening sequence of Raiders of the Lost Ark - that takes place in South America - and how the statues on Lift 2 look very indigenous to Central or South America - I would sooner believe its Mayan or Aztec.

Well if you look on the right before the lift hill you will see a dead Mr. Jones. Also when the ride opened they played the music from Raiders of the Lost Ark in the line.

Vortex, they still play the Indiana Jones music in the station of Adventure Express.

PKIDude03, all the music on Tomb Raider: The Ride is original to the ride. There is no score from any of the Tomb Raider movies. Instead, Paramount Parks contacted RPMusic to score the original music for all aspects of TRTR.