smoking

foxman

Well, back to my .02. I never had a problem with smokers, even in line. Maybe it's just the smokers that I dealt with, but NO smoker ever was rude enough to blow it in my direction. And, it's never really irritated me since it was ocurring in the open air. I do agree with Boddah in that I think a lot of people claim to be allergic when they really aren't. Just like nearly every overweight woman claims to have an overactive thyroid. I mean, I'm sure that some do, but, if you ask nearly every one of them, it's not their fault that they are overweight because they have an overactive thyroid.

While we are on the topic of smoking, I just thought I would share an interesting comment with ya'll. I recently purchased a brand new 2006 Toyota RAV4, and interesting enough, the ash trays and "normal" cigarette lighter have been COMPLETELY eliminated from the car- Apparently, this is starting to be a new trend....

Well no matter what they'll do, people will still smoke where ever they feel like it.

Does any of the Cedar Fair parks have any smoking rules? If not, the smoking ban may be gone next year.

This question was asked to Cedar Point/Cedar Fair officials during the Question/Answer session at CoasterMania this month. They said that they "might look into it."

You may know, that Cedar Fair is the only large park chain to not have designated smoking areas in their amusement parks, and that fact was mentioned in the question.

My 2¢: Either have a designated smoking policy with clearly marked, separate areas, slightly off the midways. Lots of signs, PA announcements, warnings, and employees armed with park guides explaining the rule.... Or no policy at all. The current PKI system is a joke.

Guest TombraiderTy

i agree! as someone said earlier, they really need to get rid of the smoking area between CM and RT. I run through it, holding my breath! Seriously though- There are cooler ways to die dry.gif

thought i would share this- in line for SB3D on June 2, a woman in front of us was smoking. We had a party of about... seven or eight, and two of the kids were allergic to it, they really were. We were all annoyed, so I said in the voice that is on the speakers, "Smoking is not permitted in any line at Paramount's Kings Island for the safety of you and those around. Thank you for not smoking, and have a great day at Paramount's Kings Island."

the woman said to the lady she was with, "I don't have to listen to these f**k kids, I paid good money for my ticket and I can smoke if I want." I had the sudden urge to give her a good kick in the knee.

Well, maybe had you politely asked "Excuse me, but can you please quite smoking while in line. It appears to be bothering someone in my group. They would greatly appreciate it if you would wait until after the ride to smoke." Perhaps it was more in the tone of how you tried to act like you had authority over her by pretending you were associated with PKI. I`m not trying to make excuses for what she said or was doing, but sometimes manners go a long way in getting what you want.

Guest TombraiderTy

Well, maybe had you politely asked "Excuse me, but can you please quite smoking while in line.  It appears to be bothering someone in my group.  They would greatly appreciate it if you would wait until after the ride to smoke."  Perhaps it was more in the tone of how you tried to act like you had authority over her by pretending you were associated with PKI.  I`m not trying to make excuses for what she said or was doing, but sometimes manners go a long way in getting what you want.

i should've, but it was too hard to resist laugh.gif

Well, maybe had you politely asked "Excuse me, but can you please quite smoking while in line.  It appears to be bothering someone in my group.  They would greatly appreciate it if you would wait until after the ride to smoke."  Perhaps it was more in the tone of how you tried to act like you had authority over her by pretending you were associated with PKI.  I`m not trying to make excuses for what she said or was doing, but sometimes manners go a long way in getting what you want.

i should've, but it was too hard to resist laugh.gif

Manners are never hard to resist.

Well, at least folk that have them don't have a hard time resisting them.

WooferBear would you like someone dying from themselves not smoking but other people around them that's what PKI needs to worry about and who knows maybe YOU could die from it! mad.gif Plus it takes some time for it to really start affecting the victim.

Please cite the studies that have been conducted showing a connection between second hand smoke and disease.

Now certainly, I'm not advocating cigarette smoking but let's not throw around allegations and accusations that simply have not been substantiated.

It would be nice if the smoking ban was enforce at the park. Honestly dont know how many times this year I have seen guests that dont pay attention to the smoking ban and employees that just stare at these guests yet say nothing. Just an observation I have had so far this year.

Well I see there are those here who want to claim there are no negative consequences of breathing in second hand smoke. Well, I have my own study. I smell it, I get sick, that is a fact. That is the only "study" I need to worry about. Ask over 90% of doctors if it is healty to be around smoking and see what answer you get. While it is hard to cite a comprehensive study that proves a link between cancer and second-hand smoke, you have to be pretty dense to think that it is healthy to breathe in that smoke for any significant period of time. AT the VERY least, the smell is horrible and it is rude to subject anyone to it without their permission. Add in the fact that some people really are allergic to it, and that astmatic people can suffer, and it is clear that policy to limit smoking really is the polite thing to do.

I have to say I get really irritated at people for defending this habit. A family park like KI should have a non-smoking policy so that it is controlled and that people who do not wish to have their air polluted can enjoy the park. It is not like the park is telling smokers to NOT smoke in the park at all. They just have to find a designated area. And to be honest, they are everywhere at Kings Island. You would have to be pretty simple-minded to not find such a designated area in about 10 seconds from anywhere in the park.

As for people around you eatring fast food and such, that does not irritate and damage the health of the people around you, so claiming that we must stop people from eating McDonalds as well as from smoking is not the same thing. That comparison is made all the time and it is not logical. Smoking smells foul, makes my eyes water, causes me to cough, leaves a digusting odor on my clothes, even when encountered outside, and can cause my asthma to act up in a matter of seconds. I have the right to not have to beathe that crap when I am enjoying the parks. I rather resent people getting upset at my reaction to smoking and calling me hyper-sensitive, rather than accepting the fact that smoking in a crowded public place can be rude and insensitive, especially when the park forbids it.

I think having the smoking sections is a nice compromise. The only problem is, as others have stated, that it is not enforced at all. Of course a ride operator does not do the enforcement, but i have seen other employees just walking around and they do not enforce it either.

As for politely asking people to put it out, that only works for me half the time. I would prefer that people take about 30 seconds to scan the park map for the rules and then follow them.

Well I see there are those here who want to claim there are no negative consequences of breathing in second hand smoke. Well, I have my own study. I smell it, I get sick, that is a fact. That is the only "study" I need to worry about. Ask over 90% of doctors if it is healty to be around smoking and see what answer you get. While it is hard to cite a comprehensive study that proves a link between cancer and second-hand smoke, you have to be pretty dense to think that it is healthy to breathe in that smoke for any significant period of time. AT the VERY least, the smell is horrible and it is rude to subject anyone to it without their permission. Add in the fact that some people really are allergic to it, and that astmatic people can suffer, and it is clear that policy to limit smoking really is the polite thing to do.

I have to say I get really irritated at people for defending this habit. A family park like KI should have a non-smoking policy so that it is controlled and that people who do not wish to have their air polluted can enjoy the park. It is not like the park is telling smokers to NOT smoke in the park at all. They just have to find a designated area. And to be honest, they are everywhere at Kings Island. You would have to be pretty simple-minded to not find such a designated area in about 10 seconds from anywhere in the park.

As for people around you eatring fast food and such, that does not irritate and damage the health of the people around you, so claiming that we must stop people from eating McDonalds as well as from smoking is not the same thing. That comparison is made all the time and it is not logical. Smoking smells foul, makes my eyes water, causes me to cough, leaves a digusting odor on my clothes, even when encountered outside, and can cause my asthma to act up in a matter of seconds. I have the right to not have to beathe that crap when I am enjoying the parks. I rather resent people getting upset at my reaction to smoking and calling me hyper-sensitive, rather than accepting the fact that smoking in a crowded public place can be rude and insensitive, especially when the park forbids it.

I think having the smoking sections is a nice compromise. The only problem is, as others have stated, that it is not enforced at all. Of course a ride operator does not do the enforcement, but i have seen other employees just walking around and they do not enforce it either.

As for politely asking people to put it out, that only works for me half the time. I would prefer that people take about 30 seconds to scan the park map for the rules and then follow them.

You do make some very good points, but let me rebuttal:

There is no doubt in my mind that smoking, 2nd had smoke, exposure to the chemicals involved, etc. is detrimental to anyone's health. It really doesn't take a national study to determine that. However, the comments about are in response to the fact that you can take almost any nonsmoker any they'll claim some sort of allergic reaction to the smoke. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's just for sympathy.

Regardless of that, I once again agree with the smoking policy of PKI. I really don't think that it's a problem for a smoker to simply move to a smoking section. As I have said before, I think the problem with people violating the rule is mainly people being unaware of it. Bear in mind that you could smoke anywhere you wanted in the park except in lines for well over 30 years. What's it to the uninformed guest to think otherwise this time around?

I think that even if the policy were enforced 100% it would still be flawed simply because those who do have serious reactions are forced to walk through several smoking areas to get around the park. The one that particularly comes to mind is the one in between the Italian Job and The Vortex. I've also noticed that there are benches in smoking areas, but no where else nearby. I've seen oblivious mothers feeding their newborn babies sitting on a bench in a smoking section. That really seems like it's not conducive to what they are trying to accomplish in the area.

I noticed a lot of people equate smoking to people eating fast food. I can see that, but not in the exact same light as most of you. Eating fast food in the long run costs insurance agencies as well as the government billions of dollars per year in medical expenses. That, in effect, is hurting everyone. The same goes for smoking. While it does have an immediate effect on people (like the allergic reactions listed above), it also ends up costing each and every person around them for the individual mistreating their body. Everything from smoking, to obesity, to a lack of exercise, to drug use is an example of a societal evil that should be eradicated from the world. Unfortunately that would be what we call a perfect world, or Utopia, and simply doesn't exist. So if you ask someone to put out a cigarette, is it really so different from asking someone to put down their cheeseburger? Explain how cheeseburgers are high in fat, cholesterol, MSG, transfats, and salt and how your afraid that they might develop a heart problem in the future costing Medicare thousands of dollars and thus creating a dent in the infrastructure of society as a whole. They'll probably be more sympathetic to that then simply saying, "Your smoke bothers my eyes." Try it out and let me know how it goes...

As far as people smoking outside of smoking areas. I can tell you as a VERY frequent guest of the park, it's not as big of a problem as you guys make it out to be. In a given day, how many people do you see smoking outside of the designated areas? Maybe 10? Now think that there are probably between 10,000 and 50,000 people in the park. I can assure you that it's rare that you're in a situation in which you are forced to breathe in 2nd hand smoke in the park. From several centuries ago up until about 5 years ago, people could really smoke everywhere and people who had reactions simply avoided it. I really don't think avoiding that one guy on the midway who violates the rule is really that difficult if you put in perspective.

Smoking in lines is a big big problem. In the same instance, I don't really see it as often as people portray it on here but when it does happen that DOES force people to breathe 2nd hand smoke, it is extremely rude, and I would encourage anyone who sees it to tell an associate. Associates -- if you tell them to put it out and they refuse, call security. They've thrown people out for that.. I've seen it happen myself. Heck... you know what extensions to dial... I don't even work there and I know the extension.

I don't see why smokers and nonsmokers have to be like the Hatfields and McCoys with all of this. If you ask a smoker to put a cigarette out, chances are half of them will be rude to you. Then again if you think about it, if you ask anyone to do anything, chances are that half of them will be rude to you. Unfortunately sometimes it's hard to believe that humans are the smartest animals... especially if you put them in groups.

Ryan

The smell of Voban makes me sick. 

Well at least it gives you a warning before you get to it. Would you rather smell it or step in it? tongue.gif

I think smoking as a whole should be banned from the park. I'm sick of walking through the park and having to suffer from the smoke almost everywhere i go.

What days have you been going on? Because whenever I'm at the park I only have to "suffer" from smoke in a few places, and that is usually walking past one and, being a non smoker myself,I don't hang around those areas so I don't mind it.

And I wouldn't call it suffering unless you were right in front of the person who was smoking for a prolonged time, inhaling all of their second-hand smoke, not just walking by and area where people are smoking, which I'm sure is what you do.

But I think the smoking policy Kings Island has is a great one, it just needs to be enforced greater. Because I have seen an occasional person or group of people smoking in other places around places around the park, but I must say it as gotteen a lot better with the new smoking ban, because I see a lot more people who smoke follow the rules than people who don't and I haven't had to deal with anyone smoking in line, although that's always been banned, since the parkwide ban was put in place.

You do make some very good points, but let me rebuttal:

There is no doubt in my mind that smoking, 2nd had smoke, exposure to the chemicals involved, etc. is detrimental to anyone's health. It really doesn't take a national study to determine that. However, the comments about are in response to the fact that you can take almost any nonsmoker any they'll claim some sort of allergic reaction to the smoke. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's just for sympathy.

Regardless of that, I once again agree with the smoking policy of PKI. I really don't think that it's a problem for a smoker to simply move to a smoking section. As I have said before, I think the problem with people violating the rule is mainly people being unaware of it. Bear in mind that you could smoke anywhere you wanted in the park except in lines for well over 30 years. What's it to the uninformed guest to think otherwise this time around?

I think that even if the policy were enforced 100% it would still be flawed simply because those who do have serious reactions are forced to walk through several smoking areas to get around the park. The one that particularly comes to mind is the one in between the Italian Job and The Vortex. I've also noticed that there are benches in smoking areas, but no where else nearby. I've seen oblivious mothers feeding their newborn babies sitting on a bench in a smoking section. That really seems like it's not conducive to what they are trying to accomplish in the area.

I noticed a lot of people equate smoking to people eating fast food. I can see that, but not in the exact same light as most of you. Eating fast food in the long run costs insurance agencies as well as the government billions of dollars per year in medical expenses. That, in effect, is hurting everyone. The same goes for smoking. While it does have an immediate effect on people (like the allergic reactions listed above), it also ends up costing each and every person around them for the individual mistreating their body. Everything from smoking, to obesity, to a lack of exercise, to drug use is an example of a societal evil that should be eradicated from the world. Unfortunately that would be what we call a perfect world, or Utopia, and simply doesn't exist. So if you ask someone to put out a cigarette, is it really so different from asking someone to put down their cheeseburger? Explain how cheeseburgers are high in fat, cholesterol, MSG, transfats, and salt and how your afraid that they might develop a heart problem in the future costing Medicare thousands of dollars and thus creating a dent in the infrastructure of society as a whole. They'll probably be more sympathetic to that then simply saying, "Your smoke bothers my eyes." Try it out and let me know how it goes...

As far as people smoking outside of smoking areas. I can tell you as a VERY frequent guest of the park, it's not as big of a problem as you guys make it out to be. In a given day, how many people do you see smoking outside of the designated areas? Maybe 10? Now think that there are probably between 10,000 and 50,000 people in the park. I can assure you that it's rare that you're in a situation in which you are forced to breathe in 2nd hand smoke in the park. From several centuries ago up until about 5 years ago, people could really smoke everywhere and people who had reactions simply avoided it. I really don't think avoiding that one guy on the midway who violates the rule is really that difficult if you put in perspective.

Smoking in lines is a big big problem. In the same instance, I don't really see it as often as people portray it on here but when it does happen that DOES force people to breathe 2nd hand smoke, it is extremely rude, and I would encourage anyone who sees it to tell an associate. Associates -- if you tell them to put it out and they refuse, call security. They've thrown people out for that.. I've seen it happen myself. Heck... you know what extensions to dial... I don't even work there and I know the extension.

I don't see why smokers and nonsmokers have to be like the Hatfields and McCoys with all of this. If you ask a smoker to put a cigarette out, chances are half of them will be rude to you. Then again if you think about it, if you ask anyone to do anything, chances are that half of them will be rude to you. Unfortunately sometimes it's hard to believe that humans are the smartest animals... especially if you put them in groups.

Ryan

I like and agree with many of the points in your post Ryan. I will still have to disagree about the fast food thing in that I am concerned about direct consequences. Smoking causes people who do not want to inhale smoke to do so, while eating fast food does not force anyone at all to eat it who choose not to. Also, smoke in any quantity is unhealthy, while fast food in low amounts or strict moderation does not really harm you. That being said, I do agree that the terrible diets most Americans have do have severe long term effects that does harm society as a whole. But I still say people will be more offended if you ask them to throw away their hamburger than their cigarette, no matter how you phrase it! wink.gif

I also agree that many people are not aware of the smoking rules. But they do announce it frequently and I know I always hear it when I am there. Plus, I am surprise so many people do not take 30 seconds to scans the rules on the map. I always do so when I enter the park the first time that year to make sure I am following the rulesand am aware of any changes for the new season. I guess it is utopian though for me to expect others to do the same though!

I would just be happy to see employees who are not busy doing more important things like staffing the rides simply remind people politely about the rule. That would go a long way to helping. For example I see people buying things from the little carts on International Street and they are smoking right in front of the employee ringing up their sale. That seems like an obvious time to remind them. I have seen this many times this year so far.

I agree that smokers and non-smokers do not have to be enemies here. I have several friends who smoke, and they are always gracious about not doing it around me. And I also realize there are hundreds of smokers who ARE following the rules, and I appreciate that. Simply have KI enforce the rule as much as is practical, and I will be happy. The smoking policy will still be flawed because as you said, some of the smoking areas are in narrow areas of the midway. This could be mostly solved in the future by following the example of Holiday World. They have beautiful smoking areas, often away from the main walkways. They also have tasteful banners everywhere reminding people of the policy. Of the many times I have been to Holiday World, I have seen one violator all day. They definitely have the best pattern for other parks to follow.

Yes, it is easy to avoid a smoker here and there who is violating the rules. But why should we let him or her do that? All the other smokers are obeying it, and it is not fair that some people feel they are above the rules. So while it is easy to avoid a person here or there smoking on the midway, the fact remains that they are violating park rules and should be reminded of them. I am sure they do not say it is okay if we let 5% of the people who shoplift get away with it. Rules are there for a reason, and no one should be exempt. Plus, if others see people smoking wherever they like, it could cause others to do so, and before you know it the smoking ban is ineffective and ignored.

Of course, the smoking policy may be reversed since Cedar Fair have taken over. While that would greatly sadden me, I am impressed at how effective Cedar Point seems to be in keeping people from smoking in the lines. They have many more signs up with severe warnings about being ejected from the line if caught. That seems to help. I do hope they go non-smoking in the future.

Oh God, I was in line for Tomb Raider yesterday and we were inside the building and it started getting all smoky and it was killing me I had the biggest urge to tell him to stop smoking!Especially in a confined area!

People are stupid. Someone lit up inside the Flight of Fear Hanger today as well.

I wish PKI would enforce this rule, i'm a smoker and I don't have any problem using the smoking areas. I've seen quite a few people walk right by employees and security smoking, and no one said a word to them.

yesterday me and my son had a great time at Kings Island but over in nicku we were in line and one of the ride attendants told a man only in the kids area please do not smoke except in designated area its not really enforced anywhere else.ANd yesterday there was no way it was enforced.

yesterday me and my son had a great time at Kings Island but over in nicku we were in line and one of the ride attendants told a man only in the kids area please do not smoke except in designated area its not really enforced anywhere else.ANd yesterday there was no way it was enforced.

It's never enforced. Why have the rule, if your not even going to enforce it?

PKI should hire alot of security gaurds to walk around the park and look for vandilism and people somoking in non-smoking areas and have people on the side of the queue line to watch for smokers and tell them to stop smoking but the vandilism part is just something different I added in for more use of the security gaurds.

wacko.gif I agree that there is a problem with the smoking ban being enforced. The worst area of the park for it is Boomerang Bay. People have pulled up beach chairs behind us and smoked. They even smoke next to the wave pool. The problem I see is that they dont have a designated smoking area on the end of the waterpark where Tazmanian Typhoon is. Most of those smokers are too lazy to walk to a designated area if they are camped out on that end of the waterpark. I hardly see security walk that particular area.

Yes, Cedar Fair has very strict smoking bans in their parks. I've seen it firsthand. They dont tolerate anyone smoking in lines, buildings, and other non-smoking areas. I hope they really enforce it at Kings Island like they do the rest of their parks. I also think Cedar Fair is the best thing to happen to Kings Island. I dont feel like going into detail as to why, but anyone who has been to Cedar Point or their other parks will surely agree.

Like I have said many of times, I'm a smoker and don't have a problem going to a smoking area. I also think PKI doesn't really have the rules posted very well either. Yes it's listed in the park map, and you hear the ocassional annoucment, and it's on the butt trays in the smoking areas. But I still don't think everyone knows about the rule.

Oh God, I was in line for Tomb Raider yesterday and we were inside the building and it started getting all smoky and it was killing me I had the biggest urge to tell him to stop smoking!Especially in a confined area!

People are stupid. Someone lit up inside the Flight of Fear Hanger today as well.

I wish PKI would enforce this rule, i'm a smoker and I don't have any problem using the smoking areas. I've seen quite a few people walk right by employees and security smoking, and no one said a word to them.

I think i was driving at the time when the person lit up inside the Hangar. The problem with us workers is, is we dont know how to POLITELY tell someone that they cant smoke here, but they can somewhere else. People on a whole like to make scenes for absolutely no reason when proven wrong in public. So Our greeter called me to make an announcement into the Hangar about NOT smoking in the "line or any line here at Paramount's King's Island, Thank You"