PKICentral Downtime

Today around 11:30am there was a incident involving someone getting into the admin section of the forums. They replaced the skin with their message and a image with a redirect to some game site. They deleted my account and took away the permissions of other admins. To solve this problem, the server was restored from the nVault from a backup done Sunday mourning.

During the day the site was being restored to Sunday backup. During this time you may have been asked to accept a certificate to view the site that was old. This is because... ITS OLD. It is my old certificate for the secure shell login to get to the admin section of the FTP and Database control panel from Sunday. Doing this DID NOT PUT YOUR COMPUTER DATA AT RISK. I just wanted to clear that up as you may have heard from lesser, uneducated individuals.

Steps have been taken to prevent this from occurring again.

I will available to answer any questions you may have on here, or in a PM to me.

It's really unfortunate that something like this happened. As Dane said, we've taken measures to prevent it from happening again.

It's unfortunate that other sites feel as though they need to infiltrate PKIC in order to award their own success, whether it's actually hacking the site, or attempting to lead people to believe that their computer is at risk by visiting our site, which was claimed by another site, which has no basis whatsoever.

Fortunately, despite the fact that something like this happened, and the fact that some people who make saucy attempts to compete with us try to kick us while we're down, I know that a lot of you enjoy coming to this site as much as we love doing this site for you. Welcome back to the great community that is PKIC!

Regards,

Ryan

PKICentral.com - Back in Blaq.

I`m certainly glad the site is back. Its ashame that people feel the need to stoop to such a level as hacking into a site to make it look bad and experience downtime. I mean I would imagine that there time would be better spent improving their own site, instead of trying to hack into this one.

I`m certainly glad the site is back. Its ashame that people feel the need to stoop to such a level as hacking into a site to make it look bad and experience downtime. I mean I would imagine that there time would be better spent improving their own site, instead of trying to hack into this one.

You make a good point, but this is more like terrorism than anything else. They clearly can't make a site like this on their own so out of jealousy they have to attack ours. In all reality, I just feel sorry for them.

I'm very impressed with the skill you guys have in keeping this great site going!

I wonder what those thieving imbiciles think is going to happen when people get dragged into their worthless sites? "Ooh, I wanted to visit PKIC, but WOW, look at this neat other site that dragged me in against my will....ooooh!" ...morons dry.gif .

Nice recovery.

I`m certainly glad the site is back.  Its ashame that people feel the need to stoop to such a level as hacking into a site to make it look bad and experience downtime.  I mean I would imagine that there time would be better spent improving their own site, instead of trying to hack into this one.

You make a good point, but this is more like terrorism than anything else. They clearly can't make a site like this on their own so out of jealousy they have to attack ours. In all reality, I just feel sorry for them.

I Don't Feel Sorry for Them and You should not either!

To me that is tantamount to theft! It's stealing someone elses work and effort! Makes me sick that there are people that are so low of character.

For me I'm sorry that the administrators had to put up with that kind of cr@p! That's who I feel sorry for.

Thanks Guys and Keep up the Good/Great Work!

I was on here yesterday at that time too. I tried to PM you a message, Ryan, but it kept saying that I couldn't do that. It kept automatically re-directing me to a gaming page and I kept going back to try and send PM's. I didn't think to look for your e-mail.

Unfortunately hacking a site is way too easy to do. Which makes me wonder, when these moron militants in the Middle East decide to fire up a new "message" or "video" as they like to do so frequently on a website.... can't some bored teenager figure out a way to redirect those sites to some Arabian Desert Camel site?

I accepted that certificate during the downtime, and it forwarded me to some junk site that sent me some Trojans. My Norton deleted like 7 of them at once, plus I recieved email from webmaster@pkicentral.com containing virus-ridden attachments.

The way Dane explained it to me, there was no real risk involved. Simply the fact that there was an expired license caused Norton, or any other virus protection of firewall software to flip out.

Ryan

PKICentral.com - Back in Blaq.

Nice signature! laugh.gif

^That was my doing.

There is a feature in the Admin section of the forums to send out a mass emailing to everyone registered. They did that. I did not see the email but some of you may have got it and some of you did not. This is because the emailing server does it in steps so it doesn't kill itself. This is also why some of you get the PKI newsletter a whole 2 days in advance before others.

It's good to see PKIC back up and running.

Here's what I see when it comes to the hack. A hacker that uses a website to advertise their own site, I find that as a complement... why? Obviously whoever this hacker is finds PKIC a great resource where many people visit so he used that for him gain. He must have seen PKIC as a great place where many look at. So Kudos to you hacker! Thanks for showing us how great you think PKIC is! Hope all goes for the worse for your site; I sure won't be visiting any time soon, or ever.