Boys died at Walt Disney World Today

what i found strange is he's 7 years old blink.gif and the park said he's 12.... can some one tell me height restrictions on Rock 'n' Rollercoaster? Im finding most disney deaths to be a 10 or younger children dieing from these intese thrill rides.

Please re-read the article.

No where did it say that he was 7 years old.

It did say that his brother is 7 years old.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster isn't an extreme ride. The high G-Force is for minimal duration. There had to be a pre-existing medical condition or other factor, such as a heat related illness. R 'n' R isn't nearly as intense as Mission Space. The Mission Space deaths were tragic and needless due to the rides intensity. The Big Thunder death was tragic and inflammitory due to the maintenance standards not being met, and operations for letting the 13th train go out loaded after hearing a noise. This death is just tragic and sad.

Im finding most disney deaths to be a 10 or younger children dieing from these intese thrill rides.

The 2 recent deatsh since 2004 that occursed before this were due to medical conditions, one boy had a thickering of the heart that caused his heart to beat irreguarly and another one woman died because of high blood pressure, they werent the rides fault, unfortuannently these guests or their parties ignored the medical recomendations which are clearly posted and were clearly posted before this. Please, if your gonna make a comment read the article and know somewhat about what your talking about, saying "dieing from these intense thrill rides" is only spreading wrong information, most likely the death on rock-n-rollercoaster was probably due to a medical condition. My sympathies go out to their family.

Theme parks have millions of guests visiting them every year, many with conditions that they are unaware of. Should theme parks then take into account an extreme amount of illnesses or deaths as an indication that the ride may be too intense for too great a number of guests. I agree that it is up to the rider to be responsible for their choice in riding a particular ride. The problem is EVERY ride, no matter how innocuous, has warnings for every possible medical condition, mainly for insurance reasons. How many of us have seen guests get on a ride that we think shouldn't ride, and try to convince them not to go. When the same warning appears on an elevator that appears on a high speed roller coaster, is the guest going to take that warning seriously? Believe me, I am the first to say that theme park rides are safe, barring any rare circumstances of operator error or maintenance failure, but if a ride is causing widespread incidents (Mission Space or Rattler) isn't it responsible for a park to consider the wider population by making modifications? Not every 17 year old is the same, nor is every 70 year old. Every guest can stand up to a limit, and even they don't know the limit. I offer these comments to continue an important discussion. I hardly offer them as fact, or even my definate opinion. Safety is our number one goal, and is always important to discuss.

Believe me, I am the first to say that theme park rides are safe, barring any rare circumstances of operator error or maintenance failure, but if a ride is causing widespread incidents (Mission Space or Rattler) isn't it responsible for a park to consider the wider population by making modifications?

What widespread incidents are you referring to? There have been two deaths on Mission Space out of Millions of rides... That does not sound widespread to me.. although they are still sad and tragic.

Believe me, I am the first to say that theme park rides are safe, barring any rare circumstances of operator error or maintenance failure, but if a ride is causing widespread incidents (Mission Space or Rattler) isn't it responsible for a park to consider the wider population by making modifications?

What widespread incidents are you referring to? There have been two deaths on Mission Space out of Millions of rides... That does not sound widespread to me.. although they are still sad and tragic.

Maybe "widespread" was too broad a word. Every incident does not result in death. I was including injuries and illnesses. I remember seeing reports of multiple injuries a day on the Rattler. If a ride causes multiple first aid runs every day, shouldn't that put up a red flag? How can anyone say that definately every amusement park ride in existance is perfect in every way? I'm on the side of the rides, but allow for the possibility that maybe some ride, somewhere may go too far.

Mission Space feels intense but actually is not that strong. You get up to a max of around 2 g's then are held there for a period of time. There have been years of g-force research that shows for someone without a medical condition you can be held at 2 g's for hours without any problems. Air force pilots can withstand 9 g's for 45 seconds before blacking out. Just ride ANY coaster and you just experienced something more intense then Mission Space.

Rock n Roller coaster right after launch is around 4.5 g's (which actually is lower then face off at PKI). The rest of the ride is not very powerful though.

Disney World overall (all 4 parks) gets around 20 times the number of annual guests of PKI. Just because they get so many guests you are going to have more problems. Research has shown that its not the g force that you should worry about but the intense shaking that will cause injury.

The young boy who died on mission space had a condition that could have killed him on ANY ride. His condition was one that means he would not be able to play any sports, work out, run, do anything that would raise his heart rate. Because it is a hard condition to catch and he was checked only a few months earlier there is a very good chance even if he had never visited any theme parks he would have died within a few years.

Mission Space feels intense but actually is not that strong. You get up to a max of around 2 g's then are held there for a period of time. There have been years of g-force research that shows for someone without a medical condition you can be held at 2 g's for hours without any problems. Air force pilots can withstand 9 g's for 45 seconds before blacking out. Just ride ANY coaster and you just experienced something more intense then Mission Space.

Rock n Roller coaster right after launch is around 4.5 g's (which actually is lower then face off at PKI). The rest of the ride is not very powerful though.

Disney World overall (all 4 parks) gets around 20 times the number of annual guests of PKI. Just because they get so many guests you are going to have more problems. Research has shown that its not the g force that you should worry about but the intense shaking that will cause injury.

The young boy who died on mission space had a condition that could have killed him on ANY ride. His condition was one that means he would not be able to play any sports, work out, run, do anything that would raise his heart rate. Because it is a hard condition to catch and he was checked only a few months earlier there is a very good chance even if he had never visited any theme parks he would have died within a few years.

Is that why face/off got a "5" because you expierence 5 gs?

An Extremely Sad News Story...

I would put money on the child having a pre existing condition. 99% of theme park deaths happen because of pre existing conditions or neglegence by the parks guest or the person responsible for them. Still extremely sad.

RRC is nowhere as intense as Flight of Fear even during launch.

You can never be too safe. Discussion and constant awareness are benificial to the entire industry. Be it a slick surface, a rough spot on a ride, a maintenance oversight, or a flaw in a design, constantly being open and aware keeps us alert to a potential incident or more importantly, the avoidance of a potential incident. I agree, Rattler needed design modifications. Mission Space is not too intense, but benefits from having a milder version just the same. Extreme coasters are not dangerous. Some incidents are unavoidable. Someone prone to a stroke or a heart attack may suffer that on a roller coaster as easily as behind the wheel of a car or stepping off a curb. Safety is questioning everything and not being blindly confident. One can never be too confident. That's when things get overlooked.

The sad thing is that I know two kids yes i said kids both under 16 die form heart related problems not know to them. I am involved in two high school sports wrestlign and golf both require physicals for each and my athletic director/ wrestlign coach is telling me they might start doing more test during a normal physical such as blood test and if cause presents itself more examination of heartlungs kidneys ect. If this will happen or not i dunno but i know my wrestling coach is making it his rule to have us do many exams at our local colledge before being allowed to wrestle. I bring this up because if we catch these diseases or defects early we can warn more people about them because I truly feel with some exceptions people who die on roller coasters because of medical conditions dont know tht they are at risk. sorry for the grammer

The ride warning signs that are posted at PKI are required by the state of Ohio. In fact, any permanent amusement park must display the rules and guidelines of the ride at the entrance. Additionally, the Department of Agriculture plaque must be placed in a spot readily visible to the general public.

Very sad news indeed. It seems Disney World is having some terrible luck as of late.

Well more people die at disney because they dont take the time and show warning's of the coaster that can affect someone with condition. UNLIKE PKI! pki clearly points out if you have health or heart porblems you maynot ride this ride. I belive PKI is the top 5 safest theme parks.

Not true about the warnings not being posted at Disney. Disney has the appropriate warnings posted at each of its rides.

Why would you think otherwise?

Well more people die at disney because they dont take the time and show warning's of the coaster that can affect someone with condition. UNLIKE PKI! pki clearly points out if you have health or heart porblems you maynot ride this ride. I belive PKI is the top 5 safest theme parks.

Not true about the warnings not being posted at Disney. Disney has the appropriate warnings posted at each of its rides.

Why would you think otherwise?

I was thinking that as well.

I really can't think of any major park that does not clearly list restrictions?

Why does the title STILL say boyS?

I am not aware that boyS died at Disney yesterday...A boy, yes. BoyS, no.

Further, all news stories indicate that the death did not occur at Disney, but that the boy was either pronounced dead in route to Celebration Hospital (what an odd name that ends up being), or at the hospital itself...

There is enough misinformation about the theme park business without us compounding it after this most unfortunate death.

this goes out to all the "fat" people wink.gif like u said health condtion play a roll in this, and im guessen "fat" people have a higher chance of diein of heart attack or high blood pressure, so therefor "fat" people need to stay off the rides, also this maybe why coasters are geting smaller seats and stuff.

First off let me start by saying i am a "fat" person! I love roller coasters and i am in great health for being "fat" So by saying "Fat" people need to stay off roller coasters you not only made me mad but at least several other people you may consider "fat". It may have been ment as a joke I dont know, I can take a joke like the next person, but you should watch what you say! I am not saying keep it PC it was a sad event, having that boy die. My thoughts go out to the family.

I have heard that Mission Space was toned down after the 2nd death.

KIemployeeforlife, people get confused when it comes to weight. Just because someone may be overweight does NOT mean that they are NOT healthy. Just as someone who works out all the time does NOT mean that they are healthy. These are two totally different things.