Signed, Sealed, and Delivered!

Yes, why would they remove a ride that is only two years old, simply because it isn`t a "great" ride.

Because it cannot be easily de-themed and the land could be better be used for a different project. Even if they got rid of the name ITALIAN JOB - it is still a Mini cooper ride - and still themed to Italian Job movie - even if the name is different. Take away all the theming - and you have nothing.

If they removed IJST, there would only be about 2 or 3 people that wouldn't go to Kings Island anymore and I think they are members of this site. I really hope CF strips Kings Island of ALL (except Nickelodeon stuff, that crap draws a lot of guests) things Paramout including theming.

-adam12

And we will see just how well that CF does.

I certainly wish CF, Six Flags, Disney, Busch and all the little chains the best of luck.

Lord knows that there are far more lucrative businesses than theme/amusement parks. But these type of businesses offer a lot of joy and fun to many folk out there.

UncleHenry, look at it this way:  We'll no longer be saying look how bad Paramount is but will now be saying "Remember how Bad Paramount Was?"

<G>

Had to get that one in!

Oh so true... I knew Paramount would fail or sell out sooner or later, since they were just in it for the money. But now that it is done, it feels better than I could have ever imagined.

-adam12

Well, speaking as a unit holder...Cedar Fair had better be in it for the money, too!

Remember everyone...it's the theme park business. smile.gif

I know they are there to make money, but do you remember the saying "love what you do"? Viacom was just a bunch of bean counters, CF really cares about the parks; they are not just a source of income.

I know they are there to make money, but do you remember the saying "love what you do"? Viacom was just a bunch of bean counters, CF really cares about the parks; they are not just a source of income.

I really think that's unfair to the people who worked at the parks, and at Paramount Parks office in Charlotte. I think those people really did "love what they do" and always tried to put their best into the parks. (Not to mention that a lot of the executives in the park division predated Paramount/Viacom/CBS anyway.)

I know they are there to make money, but do you remember the saying "love what you do"?  Viacom was just a bunch of bean counters, CF really cares about the parks; they are not just a source of income.

I really think that's unfair to the people who worked at the parks, and at Paramount Parks office in Charlotte. I think those people really did "love what they do" and always tried to put their best into the parks. (Not to mention that a lot of the executives in the park division predated Paramount/Viacom/CBS anyway.)

I'm talking about the senior management at Viacom... All they care about is the bottom line, they could care less what people think until it starts cutting in to profit. It is a very reactive way to manage an organization that normally ends up in disaster. On the other hand, CF seems to be very proactive. That being said I extend a very warm welcome to CF, I wish them the best!

-adam12

Perfect example was Al Weber, the CEO of Paramount Parks before they were bought by Cedar Fair. He got his start as a ride operator at Kings Island (he might have also worked a season or two at Coney Island before Kings Island opened). He climbed his way up to the top spot, even with all the ownership changes from the original Taft, to KECO to KECO being owned by Carl Lindner and American Financial to the most recent owenership of Paramount Parks by Viacom and CBS.

Another example was Jane Cooper (for whome the fictitous military base that Flight of Fear sits on is named after (Fort J.G. Cooper)). She got her start at Kings Island, and was with the company 25 years, including the President of Paramount Parks for eight years before leaving and being replaced by Al Weber.

So clearly, there were a lot of people at the Paramount Parks that had been with the parks for a while and remained through the ownership changes. While Cedar Fair will likely cut some people (especially at the corporate level on the Paramount Park side) and some people will go, I think that there may be a few people that stay on at Cedar Fair. Just because Cedar Fair took over does not mean they are going to completely remove all the upper management at the parks and replace them with new management. There is really no need to as the difference in management style between CF and PP was not that great. Granted, there will be changes but I don`t think they will be as drastic as everyone is making them out to be.

Perfect example was Al Weber, the CEO of Paramount Parks before they were bought by Cedar Fair. He got his start as a ride operator at Kings Island (he might have also worked a season or two at Coney Island before Kings Island opened). He climbed his way up to the top spot, even with all the ownership changes from the original Taft, to KECO to KECO being owned by Carl Lindner and American Financial to the most recent owenership of Paramount Parks by Viacom and CBS.

Another example was Jane Cooper (for whome the fictitous military base that Flight of Fear sits on is named after (Fort J.G. Cooper)). She got her start at Kings Island, and was with the company 25 years, including the President of Paramount Parks for eight years before leaving and being replaced by Al Weber.

So clearly, there were a lot of people at the Paramount Parks that had been with the parks for a while and remained through the ownership changes. While Cedar Fair will likely cut some people (especially at the corporate level on the Paramount Park side) and some people will go, I think that there may be a few people that stay on at Cedar Fair. Just because Cedar Fair took over does not mean they are going to completely remove all the upper management at the parks and replace them with new management. There is really no need to as the difference in management style between CF and PP was not that great. Granted, there will be changes but I don`t think they will be as drastic as everyone is making them out to be.

The upper management of Paramount Parks sounds like a great group of people; I hope they stick around. But they can't do their job if the parent company doesn't give them the funds to do so. That being said, like I said before, it is the bean counters (the upper management at Viacom and CBS) that caused Kings Island to suffer.

The local management wants nothing but the best for the park, but if their jobs are threatened, they have no choice but to cut corners.

-adam12

Remember it wasn't Paramount who sold the parks. It was CBS. If Paramount still had control of the parks, I beleive they would have never been sold. Yes Viacom didn't want them either that's why they gave them to CBS. I for one will kinda miss some of the Paramount days, the concept for Movie themed rides was cool while it latested. I'm Cedar Fair will do what's right for Kings Island and the rest of the parks.

There you go again Adam, HALF of this page is from you, and it's still anti-paramount.

Of course, I'm not saying CF is bad, but there is no need to be so harsh against paramount.

I'm not stopping anyone from posting by replying to the comments I feel necessary. You are the only one that seems to have a MAJOR issue with me; with that I say, I'm sorry. If you are too lazy to scroll past my comments, then I would find something else constructive to do.

-adam12

As a proud member of the Cedar Fair family since 2001, when my local park (Michigan's Adventure) was purchased by the chain, I have one thing to say:

WELCOME!

You'll love it, the first few years it's rough, as they do a LOT of work behind the scenes with management, operations, and infrastructure. You'll probably see more capital spent on bathrooms and other amenities than you will in rides for the next few years. But after that (and believe me, Michigan's Adventure just got past that), the chain does wonders for giving the parks charm and class.

So, on behalf of the fans of Michigan's Adventure, I welcome you to the Cedar Fair fan family (whether you like Cedar Fair or not tongue.gif ).

Uh...no.

I was at Michigan's Adventure many, many times before CF bought it. CF NEEDED to make massive improvements to that park's infrastructure. If anything, the bathrooms and infrastructure at the Paramount Parks are far superior to those at even Cedar Point. No such massive capital expenditures prove to be in the cards (except possibly replacing asphalt---and CP has some of that, too--with concrete).

To be honest, comparing PCWi or PGA with Michigan's Adventure is comparing apples to oranges, not to mention PKD, PCWo or PKI.

It's a whole different scenario. As Mr. Kinzel himself noted, the Paramount Parks do not need the massive investments that Geauga Lake did, for instance.

^ And in park infrastructure, I hope CF does NOT make a lot of changes. I feel that the infrastructure in each Park works as is, and changing it could affect it negatively. For instance, at PCWo, there are absolutely NO paths in the Park paved in asphalt. Every path is made up of hand laid interlocking brick. The only exception is the water park, where concrete makes up the paths. So for something like that, I hope that CF continues to spend the extra dollars to keep this tradition up, and doesn't try and save a few dollars and sacrifice Park appearance.

^ And in park infrastructure, I hope CF does NOT make a lot of changes. I feel that the infrastructure in each Park works as is, and changing it could affect it negatively. For instance, at PCWo, there are absolutely NO paths in the Park paved in asphalt. Every path is made up of hand laid interlocking brick. The only exception is the water park, where concrete makes up the paths. So for something like that, I hope that CF continues to spend the extra dollars to keep this tradition up, and doesn't try and save a few dollars and sacrifice Park appearance.

I like how you think! Back in the 70's and 80's Kings Island had a lot of their paths painted different colors. They use to have sculpted bushes and trees around the royal fountain and in Coney Mall. I think there is a lot to be said for a clean well landscaped park. I hope CF owns Kings Island for the next 100 years; they eat sleep and drink amusement/entertainment.

I didn't know this, but I guess CP has 9 shows! How many does Kings Island have? 1 JUST 1 (worth seeing)! I have to say School of Rock is one of the better shows I have seen. That Star Search Live is just sad and isn’t considered a show in my book, it is just an over rated karaoke contest.

-adam12

CF NEEDED to make massive improvements to that park's infrastructure.  If anything, the bathrooms and infrastructure at the Paramount Parks are far superior to those at even Cedar Point.

Hence why the execs at Cedar Fair agreed that the Ecology Department at Kings Island was the best in the business. No joke.

I really hope CF strips Kings Island of ALL (except Nickelodeon stuff, that crap draws a lot of guests) things Paramout including theming.

-adam12

So what you're saying is that you'd want to ride Tomb Raider out in the open with absolutely NO shade, lighting effects, and killer soundtrack, and with just cheap, half-assed water fountains below guests' feet?

I think that a lot of the infrastructure will be kept on the departmental level, like eco/merch/rides, but above that I think it will be stripped, that's just what I think though. I think that CF is a welcome addition, and I've noticed subtle changes around the park (Coney Mall's soundtrack).

Infrastructure is the STUFF that makes the park run. The people who make it run are far more important, but they ain't infrastructure.

As for y'all who want to count the number of shows at Cedar Point, have at it. NOT ONE even approaches the quality of School of Rock. Not one.

Cedar Fair does many things incredibly well. I repeat, as I have said in the past, that entertainment is not their strongest suit. I don't expect to see improvements in entertainment at Kings Island. Perhaps in quantity, but certainly NOT in quantity. Some of the worst shows I have ever seen (and I have seen many) have been in Cedar Fair parks. And not just at the so-called lesser parks, either.

• Like 1

I think that a lot of the infrastructure will be kept on the departmental level, like eco/merch/rides, but above that I think it will be stripped, that's just what I think though. I think that CF is a welcome addition, and I've noticed subtle changes around the park (Coney Mall's soundtrack).

What about Coney Malls Soundtrack?

has it been mentioned in this lengthy topic that the Cedar Fair home page lists the paramount parks... as paramount parks???

Now...yes.

It has been discussed at length. Not in this thread, but on the board.

Try to keep up! laugh.gif

It's even mentioned that now the name of PCWo is incorrect on the site.

http://www.pkicentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7684

and

http://www.pkicentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7683

As for y'all who want to count the number of shows at Cedar Point, have at it. NOT ONE even approaches the quality of School of Rock. Not one.

Except King's Island didn't win any awards for any of their shows that I can remember. However, CP won awards just this past year from the IAAPA.

• 8 years later...