Geauga Lake - July 1

Kenban

The first two theme parks I visited years ago were Geauga Lake and Sea World Ohio both in Aurora Ohio. This was before Six Flags came in and purchased both and turned them into a single park. This was later sold to Cedar Fair who continues to operate them under the name Geauga Lake and Wildwater Kingdom. Just to tell you how long ago it was I remember Raging Wolf Bobs opening year (1988).

You know its odd maybe I am growing up, getting used to Disney, or just sick of roller coasters in general. It might just be that Geauga Lake just does not have good coasters but whatever it was I did not have a very good time.

I got to the park around 2 purchased my ticket ($24.95) and was very happy at the ticket price. I headed into the park took a right and went on X flight first thing. Its an interesting ride and I think with a good layout would be amazing flying around trees and over hills around King's Island. Next up was Steel Venom which really is nothing special it looks a lot more fun then it really is. As I walked past Head Spin it was either down or just not operating at the time it was up before I left but I never really wanted to ride it anyways. Its the same kind of ride as Face/off but your sitting down instead of hanging. Was going to ride Big Dipper but that was down as well.

At this point I walked across the floating bridge to what used to be Sea World. The entire walk across you see this huge stadium right on the water and you think that maybe there will be a good show there well you would be wrong but I will come back to that later. I was not here for the water park so I just took a left and walked around the shore and headed over through happy harbor to the theater showing robots of mars. The film was not great but it was not that bad either. Its shown once and hour but there was total maybe 100 people there. The AC felt very good after walking around the park for about an hour. After this I went next door to Dino Island II. I thought that it was very lame and I noticed that there was 4 show rooms but they only had to run 1. So I had seen the two movies and figured I would go and catch the show in the stadium but first I wanted something to drink so I stopped by the booth out front to grab a lemonade. Well that was a bad choice it took 16 minutes (Sadly I really did look at my watch) and there was only 6 people in front of me. It was one person with too much work to do and no help doing it. After I paid my $4.25 I felt it had better be good and after I started drinking it I noticed just how wrong I was it did not taste like anything sure I watched him squeeze a lemon right in front of me into the glass but to me it tasted like I paid 4 dollars for a glass of water. I went and grabbed a seat in the stadium and watched the show while I drank my overpriced water. Its the Paul Bunyan Lumberjack show which I showed up several minutes early but because of how hard it was to get something to drink I sat down around 10 minutes late. Looking around and seeing 80% of the stadium empty was a sign of just how good the show was. Turns out it was just one more bad choice the show was stucktacular and the groups of people who got up early and left agree with me.

At this point I figured I would head back over to the main section of the theme park and figured my day would get better. Next up Thunderhawk which left me with a headache. After I walked around for a few minutes I felt a little better and knowing the next ride was a B&M I figured I would go on it and maybe start having fun so I went on the Dominator. Which I think its the worst B&M I have ever been on the headrest has a lot of padding and thats good because it was the only thing that saved my head on the ride. At this point I stopped by a stand picked up a drink and sat down ended up sitting there for a while and went to the Dippin' Dots stand that was next to me and picked up a waffle cone of chocolate (always did like dots) ($5.99). After about 30 minutes I figured I was up for some more rides. I went on Raging Wolf Bobs next which is not bad but small and needs a paint job. At this point went on Grizzly Run hoping to get wet until I got to the front of the line (longest line in the park) and saw the brown foam forming in the water. I figured I would ride it anyways until about half way down when you get to the section where there should be water just pouring down over you from above and I realize that all the water sprayers and water falls are broke. I guess they all work off a single pump but they were all down. So still dry I rode the Villain. Which just like all the other rides in the park is small and short.

Finally I just walked through a couple of the gift shops and left at 7:30. I think the park has a lot of potential but right now I can't see people traveling to visit the park. I think Cedar Fair needs to put in a LOT of money to get this park into what it should or could be but I don't know if they are going to be willing to spend the kind of money it needs.

First it needs a kids area right now you have happy harbor which is all old junk rides from when Sea World was still in town and the kidworks play area which is left over from the original Geauga Lake. There is plenty of room between Raging Wolf Bobs and the Happy Harbor to build a good kids area and by moving the rides from the Kidworks play area you combine it all into one section cleaning up the water front. There is a HUGE stadium that could put on some amazing shows USE IT. Around 6 I started getting hungry at any other park I would have walked past a store selling solid food but not Geauga Lake I could get pretzels, drinks, ice cream etc but not a hamburger (at least not where I was if I wanted to walk half way across the park I could have gotten one). There were two locations selling cotton candy. This year Cedar Fair is making a big point of selling 25 cent cotton candy at least have a few more locations maybe a few carts selling it.

There was some things done right though there was capacity everywhere I looked. A lot of the coasters were running half empty trains. Its just there were not many people there on a weekend where you would think the park would be packed. If your looking for a park where you can just walk onto any coaster in the park and all you want is to ride a few coasters or go to the water park Geauga Lake is great. If you have a family or looking for a park that you want to spend the whole day at go somewhere else. Because I had been busy this was the first park I have been too this year and it really made me just want to book a flight to Orlando and visit USF and Disney World. The food is cheaper, rides are better, and I have never wanted to leave any of those parks after 5 hours.

a. Kidz Works is NOT the old Geauga Lake kids area. Instead, it was installed as a Warner Brothers themed kids area by Six Flags. Didn't you see the carrots EVERYWHERE? And the traces of the old Six Flags theming that CF has left behind?

b. I have no clue what happened to you on Dominator. I rode it a week ago yesterday and had a grand time on it. The park was packed, it was Cleveland Clinic Day...

c. You must not have ridden Steel Venom in the front seat! Just amazing. THIS is the ride Cedar Point slightly modified and installed a weaker version of---Wicked Twister.

d. The food prices at Geauga are far, far less than at Paramount's Kings Island. Have you been there this year?

e. Too bad Big Dipper was down. For my money, it is by far the best operating wood coaster in Ohio (the best was Screechin' Eagle, now closed, at Americana)

f. I have found that to a very large extent the fun one can have in a park depends on one's expectations. It sounds like you went looking to find a bad time, and succeeded.

g. Geauga might be busier had Cedar Fair not (a) done away with the animals and (cool.gif built the waterpark with non-union labor in a very highly unionized area. Also, the nine dollars to park is a very tough pill for many to swallow...especially for the mall across the street...

h. The entertainment at Geauga Lake is produced by and/or for Cedar Fair. You now know what we can look forward to show-wise at Kings Island. Sigh. Actually, I think that lumberjack show is at Kings Island this weekend.

I wish that Sea World was never purchased by Six Flags. I have visited 7 Disney parks in Florida, California, & Japan; Universal Studios in California; and amusement parks in the United States, Japan, and South Korea.

But I have NEVER visited a Sea World!!!! Wouldn't it be great if I could just drive to one???? Oh how I wish Sea World was still in Ohio so that I could drive there.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

chef.gif

I went to Geauga Lake last year and had an amazing time. No waits, a nice collection of fairly unique coasters like the only flying and floorless in Ohio, and generally friendly staff. Last year I left Geauga Lake thinking it was actually the most fun I had had at an Ohio amusement park all year. Like Interpreter said though, I suppose it all depends on how you go into the situation. I didn't expect much and was greatly surprised (in a good way).

It is a shame though that Big Dipper wasn't open it's the best ride in the park. I must say though that I thought Thunderhawk was the smoothest SLC I've ever been on, found Steel Venom more exciting than Wicked twister for some odd reason, and found Dominator to be my favorite B&M in Ohio (oddly I'm not a fan of Raptor). Really the only complaint I can remember is that Vilian was terribly rough. Hopefully you'll go back again some time and be treated to the Geauga Lake I experienced.

Chef?

Have you been partaking in Adult Beverages today?

If you must know the truth, I tend to drink red wine nearly every day as I'm a 100% ethnic Italian. However, when I typed the post, I had yet to partake in Merlot.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

chef.gif

I went in 02 or 03 and I did not have a very good time. I said I would never go back but have been thinking about it now that there is no waiting. It's just a poor layout for a park and has nothing that makes you want to visit.

If you want to go have fun go to Giant Eagle and get your tickets for 18 dollars and go to Kennywood. tongue.gif

You know I am wrong about kidworkz I should have known better. Ok I did not say Dominator was a bad ride (its not) but having been on a few B&M's I just felt that it was rougher then I was used to but still better then most coasters. Also the OTSR locked down at some point so hard that by the time we hit the brakes it was so tight I could not take a full breath. Although at the end of the day the two rides I wanted to go back and ride again were Dominator and x-flight.

Rode second seat of steel venom will have to try the front seat was in a hurry and just took the closest seat to the front that was empty. Just never liked this kind of ride but then I don't like Face/off either.

Food prices are less then PKI (Notice the only comment I made about prices were I felt the lemonade was not worth it and that the food prices at DISNEY are less. Dippin dots are not cheap no matter where you get them and I got the largest size available. I don't have a problem spending money as long as I get a quality product in return. Like now I leave Universal Florida and eat in city walk. I do think that the counter service locations need to offer more then just snacks and drinks.

I don't know if I was looking for a bad time. I would like to think that I was not. I think the worst mistake Cedar Fair has made in the last few years was getting rid of the animals. In the short term maybe the non-union vs. union will have an effect but I don't think thats the problem.

I keep thinking a good night show to close the park would be amazing. Short stunt show on the lake followed by fireworks over the lake. Best part is you can still use it for a different show during the day the stadium is huge and offers many possibilities.

Having been to Sea World Ohio when it was Sea World (was a kid at the time though) I do remember having fun. Plus I have been to Sea World in Florida and California I do wish it was never purchased by Six Flags but they did not remove the animals Cedar Fair did. Like I said earlier the biggest mistake I think they could have made.

The funny part is I thought villain was not that bad. Employees were everywhere and were friendly. My only problem spot there was when I was getting my lemonade the guy was getting very behind. It was not his fault a single person taking care of a large amount of people is rough. The problem was there was a girl standing right behind him that all she did was open the ice chest a few times (not even taking anything out just opening it to look in). Now I don't know why she was there but at most places you jump in and help out if she had helped it would have gone MUCH faster to me they needed two people both working to be able to handle the demand.

My whole trip was not bad. Cedar Fair has put a LOT of money into the park so far and most of the changes have been good. I think the park needs some more flat rides, better food service, better shows, etc. Right now the park has the beginnings of being great but its not even close right now. For example there are 4 motion simulators I have never understood why they run the same film in all 4 (really don't understand why when you consider they only run 1 because of the low demand). By adding a second film you can reuse the simulators that are not being used and add a new ride cheaply. Like I feel Kings Island should almost always be running two different films one on each side of the action theater. Also there was almost no one in the theater showing Robots of Mars. Pick up the rights to another film or two and show them at different times throughout the day. You could show one film at 1 and a differant one at 2 etc.

Sounds like you almost had as bad a time as I just did at Disney wink.gif After being in the park after only an hour with all the smelly obnoxious people, I was ready to go home.

Half the good attractions have been taken out for crap that I'd never ride EVER again. Disney is a waste of money IMO. After going there every year for the past sixteen years, I've got to admit, they've hit an all time low. Did I mention the HUGE price tag on everything (merchandise, food, drinks, etc.).

Universal may have ****ed me off with that POS Sneech monorail attraction that I've been waiting seven years for, but I still had a way better time than at Disney. BTW, I must have went to Universal at just the right time because unlike the over-capacity Disney parks, the Universal parks were as empty as Geauga Lake (I'm NOT kidding). Longest wait was 5 mins for the Mummy and by 4:00 I was ready to go home because we did everything twice.

As an employee of Geauga Lake; I'm a bit concerned about what you've said. I agree that they butchered the kids areas and really need more then a wave pool to draw in the crowds but the fact that you didn't enjoy anything we had to offer bothers me.

Grizzly, if you didn't know, just opened up that day for the first time this year (explaining the crowds). Not all the effects have been fixed yet since the new parts arrived. Thunderhawk has been named the best Vekoma SLC out there, after it's refurb last year, as well as the smoothest so I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.

As for Dominator, your one of the only people in the world that doesn't like the coaster. We get ACE members and coaster enthusiasts almost everyday that claim it's their favorite B&M.

All I can say is voice your complaints to Geauga Lake/Cedar Fair and then come back either later this year or next year. They take complaints seriously and I'm sure what ever caused you not to enjoy you time will either be fixed or in the process of being fixed. They have even been known to address smaller problems overnight.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy yourself.

See, I'm glad it's not just me with Disney.

I was beginning to think that I had some kind of chip in me that tells the cast at the Magic Kingdom to be slow, rude and just not very good at what they do.

Top it off by having everything as entirely plastic and canned entertainment and it makes for a lousy time.

That being said, every trip I've had to EPCOT has been AMAZING!

Dollar for Dollar I'd much rather do Busch Gardens Africa.

I've been to Disney almost every year during my 17 years on earth and, after looking at your age, its typical for us to hate those parks. Yes, they are overcrowded and overpriced, as a matter of fact I was there right before goin to PKI, but the classic rides and different atmosphere still l ure me into always wanting to go there. If I want thrill rides I go to a park near me. Not being racist, but the overall lack of people who speak English down there really aggivates me.

I've been to Disney almost every year during my 17 years on earth and, after looking at your age, its typical for us to hate those parks. Yes, they are overcrowded and overpriced, as a matter of fact I was there right before goin to PKI, but the classic rides and different atmosphere still l ure me into always wanting to go there. If I want thrill rides I go to a park near me. Not being racist, but the overall lack of people who speak English down there really aggivates me.

LOL!

Nah, what makes you think that a comment as blatant as that would be racist.

Please, Please do not perpetuate the image of the Ugly American. <G>

I wish that Sea World was never purchased by Six Flags. I have visited 7 Disney parks in Florida, California, & Japan; Universal Studios in California; and amusement parks in the United States, Japan, and South Korea.

But I have NEVER visited a Sea World!!!! Wouldn't it be great if I could just drive to one???? Oh how I wish Sea World was still in Ohio so that I could drive there.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

chef.gif

Six Flags bought Sea World of Ohio because it was for sale. Had Six Flags not bought it, it might well have been condos now. I am sure Busch was very, very pleased with the price that Six Flags paid....but that's another story entirely.

Busch does not hold on to parks it doesn't think it can run in the fashion that it wants to while earning an acceptable return. Busch no doubt had problems running a Sea World type park in an area as far north as Aurora, Ohio.

Phantom Theater wrote:

The reason the animals left the park was that in the sale of Geauga Lake, Six Flags got to keep the animals and take them to their other parks. Offically, Six Flags took the animals out.

Uh....like every other item in an acquisition, that was negotiable. If Cedar Fair had wanted the animals, they no doubt could have bought them, and probably at a VERY attractive price. Cedar Fair made quite clear it was NOT interested in keeping them.

Moreover, originally Six Flags DID take almost all the animals out. Only after a precipitious decline in attendance did the killer whales come back to what was then Six Flags Worlds of Adventure.

As an employee of Geauga Lake; I'm a bit concerned about what you've said. I agree that they butchered the kids areas and really need more then a wave pool to draw in the crowds but the fact that you didn't enjoy anything we had to offer bothers me.

Grizzly, if you didn't know, just opened up that day for the first time this year (explaining the crowds). Not all the effects have been fixed yet since the new parts arrived. Thunderhawk has been named the best Vekoma SLC out there, after it's refurb last year, as well as the smoothest so I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.

As for Dominator, your one of the only people in the world that doesn't like the coaster. We get ACE members and coaster enthusiasts almost everyday that claim it's their favorite B&M.

All I can say is voice your complaints to Geauga Lake/Cedar Fair and then come back either later this year or next year. They take complaints seriously and I'm sure what ever caused you not to enjoy you time will either be fixed or in the process of being fixed. They have even been known to address smaller problems overnight.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy yourself.

There is a chance I am going to go back this year but its too early to say (so I would assume its not going to happen). Good chance I will drive past the park though. I am going to write a letter to Cedar Fair but mostly talking about how I think they need more variety in food locations, just how bad the lemonade sucked, what I thought of the lumber jack show, and just how over worked this one guy was trying to work the stand next to the stadium. Since you work there I am sure you know the one I am talking about its between the bridge and the stadium. Plus if your going to make that big a deal about the 25 cent cotton candy have it in more then 2 locations in the park.

One more note about the lumber jack show the guys tried they really did it just did not interest me and I don't think I was alone in that view. I wanted so bad for a killer whale to pop up.... oh well wrong park (wrong stadium as well).

Maybe I was just not looking but I think the park needs more water fountains as well.

As I am sitting here now I do think I was a little too hard on the park. But I still think that the park has major problems that a new water park is not going to fix. When your there on July 1st and the lines are walk on in every single ride in the park there is a problem.

The park needs work and I think you will agree with me on that. I tried to offer some ideas on what I thought could be done.

No clue that grizzly just opened for the year. I was more concerned about the fact that the foam that was produced in the load station was brown then the effects being down. I just wanted to point out that they did not work. Like if I wrote a trip report to USF and the doors on Jurassic Park did not work I would point it out (they often don't).

Something has come to mind though. Have you ever wanted to do something so bad that after its over your left thinking that it sucked no matter if it was pretty good or not you just expected so much more that you were left wanting? I think that might be my problem I have been wanting to go to the park for a year or two and have driven past it several times without the time to stop and visit (I have relatives who live in Aurora). Maybe I just expected something that no matter how good it is the park could not live up to what I had stuck in my head.

Actually, I think that lumberjack show is at Kings Island this weekend.

Those guys that were set up next to the swan lake in rivertown across from IJ are the same ones who do the show at GL? No offense to those guys, they put ona fun and interesting show and we're veyr nice but they use an entire stadium? Cedar Fair actualyl uses and entire former sea world stadium to do that lumberjack show that was on the grass by a pond at Kings Island? That is a huge waste, with all respect due to the performers taletns they dont need that big of a venue. Is that the same theatre where the ehrm...accident....happened?

*PKICentral fun fact* You can see a PKICentral contributer shaking hands with one of the lumberjacks in PKIC's new nights of fire 06 video!

And case be told, you could hardly call the park that was Sea World an actual Sea World.  It was a far cry from what a real Sea World park is like.

Yeah, while the Sea World Ohio was nice (it was a Busch park, afterall) it in no way came even close to the other Sea World parks.

If I recall the figures correctly, SF bought Sea World for $110M, then had to turn around and sell the whole complex to CF a few years later for $145M. Talk about taking a loss on a deal...

I remember hearing at the time that Busch used the proceeds from the sale of Sea World Ohio toward the development of Discovery Cove (and as such, Discovery Cove opened nearly debt free). I was at Discovery Cove for the first time last month...it's an absolutely fantastic place. It may have been $300/person, but it was one of the nicest, most relaxing days I've had in a very long time.

I think the big problem with what is now (again) GL was that SF tried to make it into something it wasn't. GL was a very nice local park that did a thriving company picnic business and was a really nice local park. SF decided to try to ratchet it up to the level of a CP or KI, and the expecations were too high for what they could deliver. (If there was ever an argument that a "major" park is more than just dropping in some expensive hardware, SFWOA would be it...) I think that CF definitely has the right long-term plan for GL...it's just going to be an up hill battle getting there.

Finally, if you want to go to a Disney park with no crowds try "California Adventure" smile.gif Granted, I was there for a pre-opening event for the hospitality industry, but I was in and out of there in like 2.5 hours.

See, I'm glad it's not just me with Disney.

I was beginning to think that I had some kind of chip in me that tells the cast at the Magic Kingdom to be slow, rude and just not very good at what they do.

Top it off by having everything as entirely plastic and canned entertainment and it makes for a lousy time.

That being said, every trip I've had to EPCOT has been AMAZING!

Dollar for Dollar I'd much rather do Busch Gardens Africa.

Well, for me it's not as much the employees as it is the management huh.gif I've really never had any problems with the employees. While Epcot has been my favorite since day one I can't help feel that park is slowly fading away with recent additions like Soarin' and Mission: Space. Slowly the park will become a giant Disney Quest where all you do is ride simulators and stare at projection/television screens all day.

Bush Gardens Africa seems to know what they're doing. It's a fantastic park!

...and just how over worked this one guy was trying to work the stand next to the stadium.  Since you work there I am sure you know the one I am talking about its between the bridge and the stadium.

I really wish you could remember his name as Geauga Lake takes compliments just a seriously as they do complaints. They would reward him for effort just as quickly as they would fire the girl for lack of. I can understand your beef with the park, as some I share, but really hope this experience doesn't keep you from ever coming back. Were trying are hardest to help revive this park, but as you mentioned before, Cedar Fair needs to spend alot more to get this park up to where it should be.

That means ditching their stupid philosophy that the better the parks do, the more money they receive. If they keep that up, Geauga Lake will only keep sinking, with nothing to draw in the crowds and increase their attendance.

I want this park to do good, same as you!

That means ditching their stupid philosophy that the better the parks do, the more money they receive. If they keep that up, Geauga Lake will only keep sinking, with nothing to draw in the crowds and increase their attendance.

I have to agree with you on this one. CF is going to have to do something other than a water park to attract the crowds. If they don't receive anything else until they do better, we may be waiting a very long time. Anyone know that the GL numbers have been so far? If so, any improvement from last year?

Kenban, sorry to hear you had a lousy time. I went last year and had a great time. I was able to ride everything a few times and still managed to leave early. I only wish that I had taken swim trunks to try out the new water park. I loved X Flight, Headspin, Thunderhawk, Dominator, Villain, Raging Wolf Bobs, Texas Twister, Time Warp. I did not care for the Big Dipper. That one made my back hurt. Maybe there is a better seat to ride than the very back? Now that Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall is gone, maybe CF will install a better Drop Tower type of ride. I also think that they need to do something with the old hurricane hannah section. A nice collection of flats could go in there. I do think that there should be some kind of show, other than the lumberjacks, that they could do with that stadium. It's way too nice to just use ocassionally.