Face/Off

screamingnight

Ever since I was 7 years old I always had a fear on going on Face/Off. I am 15 years old and I still have not yet rode it yet. The main reason I am afraid of riding it is because people say that while going up the lift you are pressed against shoulder harness. I always think that the harness will come loose and Ill fall. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me overcome this fear so I can ride this coaster?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I have been on Face/Off many times, the part that really frightens me most is the backwards lift up the hill. Reclaimer is right, though. If for some reason the restraint fails, there's the seatbelt to keep you from falling out. I promise you that you will enjoy F/O. I didn't think that a coaster that compact could be much of a thrill. Boy, was I ever wrong! biggrin.gif

Uh, wait a minute. The seat belt is attached to the restraint. Were the restraint to fail, that seat belt would do....exactly nothing. Its purpose is to be certain the restraint is lowered enough to be secure, and these type rides originally did not even have seat belts...

In the words of a famous ride down to Kentucky...you will just have to face your fears....head on.

More seriously, in many years of operation of these rides, I am not aware of a single instance of restraint failure. You are more apt to be hit head on in the car on the way to the park...and yet you either ride in and/or drive a car nearly every day? Right?

Ok. I wasn't sure about the seat belts. I haven't ridden Face/Off since May, and couldn't find any close-ups of the seat belt and restraint system anywhere online. Thanks for clearing that up.

But even if they wouldn't help in the event of a restraint failure...You've got practically nothing to worry about. Just enjoy the ride! Like Interpreter said, your chances of injury are higher coming into the park than while riding anything. (Except SoB, but that's a different story. Wait, I LOVE SoB. Why did I just bash it? tongue.gif )

NO ONE has fallen off any ride at pki, they are the top 5 safest park in the country. also if your retarint fails, all the others do to. also ride it backwards first. do not worry about it coming open, just close ur eyes and count to 7 and scream! (7 seconds is how long u stay up there) but it seems like forever, ride drop zone to!! hey pm me, i might wanna go to the park with you.

NO ONE has fallen off any ride at pki, they are the top 5 safest park in the country. also if your retarint fails, all the others do to. also ride it backwards first. do not worry about it coming open, just close ur eyes and count to 7 and scream! (7 seconds is how long u stay up there) but it seems like forever, ride drop zone to!! hey pm me, i might wanna go to the park with you.

You so sure no one has fallen from any ride at KI?

Sorry, but I don't....

Did you engineer the mechanical operations on this ride?

There is NO way such a system would ever be approved by any insurance company in the world...or by any park's engineering department...

I think you need to explain redundancy principals to the boy. <G>

They all are connected to the same device, and if that device fails, all the others do to. trust me on this.

So what makes you Mr. Amusement Ride Engineer. Just because one restraint happens to fail doesn't mean all the seat in that car will fail yet alone the whole train. Now the only way the whole train of restraints would fail at once, would be if for some reaon the platen came down. unsure.gif

Except there is no platen during the ride. The locking mechanisms, which are disengaged by the platen - would have to fail for each car independantly - which is highly unlikely.

Hydraulic bars are so much better than ratcheting...

I thought that the restraint went from the seat to the restraint so that way if it came undone you still have the seat belt to hold you in. You could always ride facing up that is still fun. But overall Face/Off top 3 rides on the park hands down.

NO ONE has fallen off any ride at pki, they are the top 5 safest park in the country.

I wish you were correct but there was Flight Commander. The problem was there was no seat divider and she slid sideways under the restraints. If she had not been drunk at the time I doubt it would have occured.

Also there is the Eiffel Tower. I have heard several differant stories about this so I am not sure which is correct but he was also drunk.

PKI is a VERY safe park but I am not sure about the whole top 5 thing.

I would like to point out that Face/off (and everything at PKI) is safer then the car you drove to the park in. In my view as long as you don't drink too much and don't do anything stupid you will be fine and have a great time. Nothing wrong with being scared either if you don't want to ride it just skip it there is plenty of other rides in the park.