Face/Off

screamingnight

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, waht more proof do you want, a ride being altered after the accident so it can't stay upside down as long, as well as additional restraints, as well as the removal of said ride within a few years of it opening due to decreased ridership.

Umm there is no real proof that the women fell out of the ride, i wanna see proof.

and yes drop zone is safest, there's no ways your comin out of that thing tongue.gif

The lawsuits are public record. You are open to look them up at the Courthouse if you so wish, that's plenty of proof, if you bother to actually go look for it.

Not only that, but I would venture that SOMEONE has fallen off every single ride at Paramount's Kings Island (and every other major park in the country). Falls are THE major cause of injury at every major park. Most of them occur in the midways, but many occur while patrons exit/enter the ride vehicles.

In addition, there have been many instances of riders falling from rides at Kings Island, and not just from Eifel Tower or Flight Commander. In virtually every case, rider misconduct was involved. And no, I will NOT be discussing those incidents here.

Suffice it to say, as long as the rider stays sober, the chances of unintentional exit from the ride vehicle are virtually zero. But it is NOT true that people do not fall from rides. It happens. Heck, people fall from dining room chairs, beds, toilets, cows, horses, airplanes, etc. There is no reason why ride vehicles should be any different, and they are not.

Flight of the Dead: There are many highly knowledgeable people here, with thorough knowledge of the park's history, which is also fairly well documented. I know you love the park, and that's a good thing. But you might want to think before you post things you THINK are true, but aren't sure. The words you post can affect others, and the thing about the restraints on Face/Off could actually have hurt the park, had it not been rebutted. You really do NOT want a law enforcement officer showing up at your house with papers where you have been named as a witness in a lawsuit...to testify about how 'dangerous' and 'defective' the restraint system on Face/Off is, in your opinion. And yes, it could happen (especially if there ever is a fall from Face/Off and the plaintiff's counsel starts looking around for evidence that the park owner 'knew or should have known the restraint system was unsafe.')

There are many, many ways of finding out who wrote something on the net. If the money interest is high enough or a detective, attorney or investigator has the knowledge, skill and ability and/or the time, that is a relatively simple thing. If it turned out you didn't have expert knowledge and still wrote that, Cedar Fair and/or Paramount Parks (depending on when the incident occurred) and Vekoma would no doubt want to have a word with you...and your parents if you are not of legal age.

Just something to think about. I know this sounds like its overstated. It is not. And YOU will just have to trust me on that.

Screamingnight-- Do you ride TR:TR? If so, I find the pressing against the restraints in that ride when you're hanging upside down is much more intense than Face Off. So, if you felt ok on that one, I think you'll feel fine on Face Off.

Rides where you hang pressed against the restraints bother me somewhat too. The "boats" that swing all the way around (kind of like Der Viking Fury, but make a complete loop...Carowinds used to have one, and so does BGT.) Those rides scare me more than any coaster. (But, of course I still ride them biggrin.gif )

Rides where you hang pressed against the restraints bother me somewhat too. The "boats" that swing all the way around (kind of like Der Viking Fury, but make a complete loop...Carowinds used to have one, and so does BGT.) Those rides scare me more than any coaster. (But, of course I still ride them  )

I will go on a park version of those things, but I once went on a carny version, and the restraints were'nt very good, and when we went upside down I litteraly almost lifted right out of the restraint.

Scared me half to death.

but Face/Off doesn't do that, it just presses you, and the restraints are new, just a couple years old. If they were faulty they'd have been replaced by now.

and it is REALLY fun- my numberfour favorite ride (tied with Flight of Fear).

~vl2

Boy, you guys sure do know how to reassure someone that is timid of going on a ride! Remind me to not ask anyone advice around here.

Bottom line, Face/Off is an extremely safe ride. However because it is a little more than intimidating, I can definitely see your concern.

The easiest way to overcome it, of course, is to ride. Tell the ride attendant that it is your first time and ask them to double check your harness. That should help ease your fear a bit. Also, as others have mentioned, there is a safety belt that acts as a back-up to the restraint itself. It connects the bottom of the OTSR to the seat bottom.

My best advice, however, is to ride for the first time sitting in the train with your back to the cobra roll. In otherwords, when you board, sit in a seat that faces the operator's booth. I suggest this because you spend less time dangling forward and relying on the restraint. The time you spend on the spike facing downward is much shorter since it only occurs on the second spike and the momentum never really stops. If you sit so that you get pulled up the 1st spike backwards... then you have to agonize through the lift and gear switch while facing the pavement below.

Face/Off is intense. But it's fun. And safe.

Shaggy

thanks alot shaggy! i can handle tomb raider so going up the second spike backwards should not be too bad. ill just go with your suggest and go up the lift forward and come down backwards. thanks alot because i can get the backwards part done and over with and i wont be pressed against the restraint for a long period of time. so thank you once again shaggy!!!! cool.gif

Not only that, but I would venture that SOMEONE has fallen off every single ride at Paramount's Kings Island (and every other major park in the country).  Falls are THE major cause of injury at every major park.  Most of them occur in the midways, but many occur while patrons exit/enter the ride vehicles.

By this definition - I have witnessed someone fall off Vortex. They guy was soooo embarassed afterwards - but stuff happens. biggrin.gif

Face/Off is awesome. You feel weird dangling when you are facing forward - but it is fun. I ride hands up the whole ride.

But I think it's important to clarify what you mean by "Falling off." It seems you are omitting two crucial words.... "while getting."

Sure people stumble and fall and get hurt... while getting off (and onto) rides. However to somehow lump that into a subject line where someone feared falling from a ride while in motion is really ridiculous.

Bottom line, at reputable parks such as PKI... rides are safe. Sure there have been occasional mis-haps or accidents. However, you are about 1 million times more safe riding any coaster or attraction IN the park than you are driving TO the park.

Shaggy

Disney has had three people die in the last four years. That doesn't make them an unsafe park though. Its the stupidity of how people act on the ride or in this case two out of the three had known heart problems. Its up to the people at the park and the people working at the park to make sure that everything goes A-Ok.

Yeah - parks cant be held responsible for pre existing medical conditons that are aggrevated by the rides. Riders should be aware of medical recommendations prior to riding.

Also - its the law of averages. People die. Millions of people go to Disney World. People die at Disney World.

Yeah - parks cant be held responsible for pre existing medical conditons that are aggrevated by the rides. Riders should be aware of medical recommendations prior to riding.

Also - its the law of averages. People die. Millions of people go to Disney World. People die at Disney World.

You do understand that Disney will end up paying the family of this child some sum of money, right?

Granted, not the millions that their insurance would pay out if they were the proximate cause of the death, but they will pay.

It truly is sad that Disney would even be expected to pay for that sort of thing. Sure, it is tragic that someone died...but honestly, it was their own fault.

If someone keels over of a heart attack while pumping gas at Speedway, you probably won't see Speedway paying up any money, and they shouldn't be expected to, just because the person that died happened to be on their property.

Disney has had three people die in the last four years. That doesn't make them an unsafe park though. Its the stupidity of how people act on the ride or in this case two out of the three had known heart problems. Its up to the people at the park and the people working at the park to make sure that everything goes A-Ok.

Just want to correct this there has been 7 in the last 18 months... There has been a VERY bad run of bad luck at the house of the mouse. (This is just Disney World I can't think of any deaths at Disneyland (in the same time period) off the top of my head) Every single one was due to a preexisting medical condition. One was even on Pirates of the Caribbean.

Weird comparison but its true. Just think of the lady at McDonalds who won millions because she got burnt on her HOT coffee that clearly said HOT on it. Kinda like parks with rides that say not to ride them but they do with a medical condition and die from it. Parks end up payin for it when it clearly said the risks of riding it.

But how many of these pre-existing medical conditions were unknown to the rider. Sure, if you know you have a pre-existing health coniditon that could be aggravated by the ride, then you won`t ride. But most of these people that die never knew they had the condition. They could have just as easily died jogging or riding a bike as they could have on a coaster.

It's that Insurance Companies look at the Lowest Ultimate Cost. If it's going to cost more to defend a claim should it go to court and looking at the possible outcome of a jury trial, money will always be put up on the table.

(Even if someone keels over pumping gas at Speedway. <G>)

Weird comparison but its true. Just think of the lady at McDonalds who won millions because she got burnt on her HOT coffee that clearly said HOT on it. Kinda like parks with rides that say not to ride them but they do with a medical condition and die from it. Parks end up payin for it when it clearly said the risks of riding it.

Actually, she won the case b/c the cups back then didn't use to warn people that their contents were cold/hot. They figured people just had common sense, which now we can see they didn't and still don't. Now a days, its illegal not to have that warning.

Actually, she won the case b/c the cups back then didn't use to warn people that their contents were cold/hot. They figured people just had common sense, which now we can see they didn't and still don't. Now a days, its illegal not to have that warning.

It's not illegal.

Just unwise not to have it printed on cups.

Its the stupidity of how people act on the ride or in this case two out of the three had known heart problems.

You mean unknown heart problems. The Mission:Space and Rock-n-Rollerocaster deaths were unknown heart problems, not known.