Paramount added

vortexdemon05

What happens with Coke depends on both the language in that contract between PP and Coke, and CF's and Coke's willingness to change the terms if need be. That contract may or may not be binding on successors and assigns.

Much of the details of this acquisition is now public...but a good part of it is not.

We will just have to watch and see what happens next...

If I remember, from my far vantage point in Orlando, the Coke deal was not signed that long ago. I doubt they'd relinquish the profits they make off of PP. CF may be able to coexist with buth Pepsi at their current parks, and Coke at the PP,, until such time as the current contract expires, eunless Pepsi mas a deal for all CF properties to be Pepsi, wich would force a buyout of Coke.

I'm not a Lawyer, just an ex ride operator speaking of the park I love. Pepsi or Coke, Top Gun or Rolling Thunder, the spirit of the place, the history, and what the park has given me in my life will never change how I feel.

Six Flags would have no interest in keeping their brand at Geauga Lake. Where would they benefit? Paramount would benefit by keeping their brands at the former PP. If PP had a license with Paramount for the brands, I bet it will be one heck of a buyout. The brands at KI support Paramount product., I don't think anyone visitied PKI, just for the Paramount brands. The entertainment value of KI far exceeds a mere name. Slap "top Gun" on a tilt-a-whirl is not going to draw people in. the attraction itself has to be worth it. It the current Top Gun at KI was named "Doodle Coastrer" people would still ride it because it is fun, not just for the name!

OH! I'm sure this has been discussed before....but...is CF bound by a contract to use the Paramount name for 10 years for, let's say $100,000, and could only drop it if they paid a buy ut of, let's say, an amount greather than the contract....therefore forcing CF to keep the name which benefits paramount? Or is the contracxt for the use of the Paramount name, for again $100, 000 and they would only have to pay off the contract to drop the name? Or simply do the need to pay, again let's say $100, 000 to keep the Paramount name, and would have to pay nothing to drop it?

Hey, I'm starved with Kracken down here...humor me...

We don't know how much it is, but if Cedar Fair wants to use the Paramount branding, it has to pay more to do so, and it is only offered for a ten year period at this time...not covered by the acquisition deal....

Kraken? That means two things...or three.... A. You are close to Kumba (pardon me while I have happy thoughts), B. You are close to Tower of Terror (ditto) and C. Kraken and Atlantis (more happy thoughts)

--The Interpreter, back from a delightful Voyage of the Mind, thanks!

Well, if CF has to pay more to keep the Paramount brand, I do see that ending. Why promote another companies brand if it does not support your own business.

As for Kumba and Montu....how I love them. Kracken just has too simple of a footprint for me. I've worked Beast, FOF, Racer, Dragons, Hulk, Big Thunder, Splash...and Kracken does not get me. No flow, and the drop is too rolled out. Being in SW/BG Education, the biggest thrill is a killer whale birth.

Believe me, if I get the chance to return to my beloved KI, you will see one person on The Beast platform close to tears. It the brakes do not ruin the ride for me, I will be one happy Ex-KI team member!

I'm glad to see enough people love KI enough to have a a website and message boards like these. Never have I seen a group of people so involved with a theme park. I envy all of you able to still be involved in such a great place. The caring and love for the park is what keeps KI special!

Save me Seat 62R Train 3 for me on Beast. That's where my heart is. Keep up the spirit guys!

CF better keep the best rides operations and maintenance staff in the world. I have nothing but respect for JBM, TC and KE, the best management team of which I have ever had the hornor of working with...even tho Carowinds now has TC.

on with the discussion...I was getting misty eyes <wink>

I don`t know about any mills. However, before Taft bought the land, it was home to some farmland. Some areas were more easily farmed than others due to the valleys. They bought land from realtor George Hinkel and individual farmers for a total of $3.2 million. That equates to about $2,000 an acre. They originally bought 1,600 acres. Today, the park is down to 773 acres, but that might be including the former campground site which is still owned by CBS/Great Wolf.

Why did they sell off some of the land?

I don`t know about any mills.  However, before Taft bought the land, it was home to some farmland.  Some areas were more easily farmed than others due to the valleys.  They bought land from realtor George Hinkel and individual farmers for a total of $3.2 million.  That equates to about $2,000 an acre.  They originally bought 1,600 acres.  Today, the park is down to 773 acres, but that might be including the former campground site which is still owned by CBS/Great Wolf.

Why did they sell off some of the land?

My guess is to make a nice tidy profit...

If I remember correctly, I believe a lot of the "extra" land was on the other side of I-71, not completely contiguous with the existing park. I also believe that land was sold quite some time ago (i.e., it wasn't a Paramount thing...)

Also, KI still has considerable (a few hundred according to CF) acreage left for development even with selling off land years ago, so they probably just owned more than they could ever imagine developing, so it made sense to get it off the balance sheet and make a nice profit on it. (I'm sure after KI was announced the land increased to way more than $2K an acre wink.gif )

Yes, a lot of the land was across I-71. The Tennis Center that is home to the annual tennis event was, at one time, part of the land that Kings Island had bought. They also developed the Kings Island Golf Center across the street before selling that off. That property is going to be bought by Mason I believe, to keep future developments from ruining a nice piece of greenspace and a recreational facility. Also, the Kings Island Inn and Conference Center used to be part of Kings Island land, and I would imagine the Showcase Cinemas was also once Kings Island land.

I've always loved working under Jill and Toney, but Kevin scared me, haha. I just had to remember to keep on his good side biggrin.gif I did make him laugh once though wink.gif

I only had one run in with Kevin - and it went something like this.

Kevin: "What kind of meat do you like?"

Me: blink.gif

Kevin: "Ham or Turkey"

Me: "Turkey"

Kevin: "Cool"

laugh.gif

All the operations team are great - the full timers and seasonal ops managers.

Who cares? I submit Tom, respectfully, that you do. If you didn't, you wouldn't be here to start with. Nor would any of the rest of us if we didn't care. At least some. Even AZ Kinda Guy admits he cares some. Otherwise, he couldN'T care less....but he says he could care less, so he cares some! smile.gif

Ummmm, no. I couldnt care less about who signs my paycheck. My greviences are about other things about the park. Its a summer dead end job, I accept that, and am fine with it.

I care about the work I put into the park, but after that, the care kinda just vanishes. I do my best to give you guys the best gaming experience. But whoever owns the park isnt going to change that. Let em do whatever they want, cause thats above my paygrade, and the care meter doesnt register as high as corporate doings just yet.

Yes, I know there was sarcasm used. Im not that stupid.

I was at a Q&A thing at CoasterMania this year and it was said by the higer ups that the Paramount name has 10 years still to go. They said they may either keep the rest of the 10 years or buy out the contract. The Nick name which they said will still stay at the park or parks for the rest of the contract which has 4 more years to go. Hopefully this clears up all the stuff about the names and contracts. The only names they will change if they do any will be the Paramount named rides. When Cedar Fair took over Geauga Lake, they only changed the Six Flags Named rides they didnt have the rights to.

I just replied to all this you posted in the Winterfest thread:

http://www.pkicentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7691

In SUMMARY, no, Cedar Fair does NOT have to pay to NOT use the Paramount name. If they want to keep using it, they have to pay. Not vice versa. And that decision is "being evaluated."

A license to use it is available for a ten year period. It did NOT come with the deal.

And the Geauga Lake deal was entirely different. Six Flags is still in business. At least at the moment, any way. Paramount Parks, a unit of CBS, is NOT. (Paramount Parks, a unit of VIACOM, IS and is in fact apparently building a theme park in China!)

• 2 weeks later...